DJI's Geofence

Reaction score
Howdy, y'all:
I'm a reporter working on a story about DJI's geofence. I'd like to include some comments from the PhantomPilots forum. My two questions are simple:
1.) What do you think of the geofence?
and
2.) Why do you think it's important?
Please reply here or PM me.
Cheers!
E.J.

It has some drawbacks but overall, it's a good idea. The drawback is that a user needs to be able to be online no more than 3 days prior to flight and know what areas they want to unlock. The benefits is that most of the time a user would simply be informed of an area of caution, such as being near airports and stadiums. If the person does not know the area well they may not even know that they are close to a no fly zones. Now the app will inform them. GEO is also good in that it completely locks out areas such as with a mile or so of a large airport and prisons. This adds some over all accountability to all pilots. However, he system is only as good as the programmers. DJI will need to be willing to update and correct these areas.

Reactions: edkom47
1. It's BASICALLY a good idea. As above, if I'm flying in a new area, I may not know there is a NFZ nearby. Maybe I'm in a park, in a friends neighborhood, and there is a prison nearby. Didn't know, not my neighborhood.
The problem is that it is not updated and there is no central place to notify when an area is out of date. Some military bases are OOD, and haven't been used as a military base in years. Same with airports.

2. Important? Yeah, afraid so. There are a bunch of idiots out there who want film planes landing or prisoners shanking each other in the yard.
True, all they have to do is build their own. No GEO, they can fly where they want. And if you really want to crash an airliner with a UAV, you can. But the majority of morons out there want an easy way to be stupid. 1-Take it out of the box. 2-Do something stupid.
GEO is fine. For those of us can take the time to drive 5 miles the other way to fly, some are just too lazy, stupid, moronic to do so.

My TCW.

Let the [emoji91] begin!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj