DJI wants you to call if you have shell cracks

this must be a recent development because as of yesterday afternoon, I was asked to send mine in. Let's hope at least they send out a new shell. I'd be happy with that. technically, it would be a pain to change it out but I'm up for it as long as I don't have to wait for 6-8 weeks for repair.
J.V. Today at 09:14
Dear John,
We have checked your unit into Zendesk, our customer support database.
Congratulations! This is the first step in the repair process once we received your product. Next, your unit will be documented in our Repair Software, which the repair technicians use to track their work. Once that process is done, your product will be placed in line with other repairs, and continually move up until a repair technician services it at a work bench.
Our estimated time of repair is 5-6 weeks from the date of check-in. If you do not receive an email update from the repair team by the 6th week, please call our support team at 818-235-0789, Monday - Friday, 9-5 PST.
We appreciate your patience and thank you for your support of the DJI Product Line.
DJI Service Center North America
This is what you get from DJI when you send it in for repairs.

I discovered a crack on one holes of each rear arm on the "inner" holes.

I was given the 6 week option by DJI. I was going to tape or glue but I can up with a "fix".

I should have a set of these printed up tonight or tomorrow to test fit. Wondering if anyone else would be interested in these?

View attachment 24307 View attachment 24308
Did you end up printing these?
I'm picking up the first set today. I need to test fit them. I'll post some pictures later.

I discovered a crack on one hole of each rear arm on the "inner" holes.

I was given the 6-8 week option by DJI. I was going to tape or glue but I came up with a "fix".

I should have a set of these printed up tonight or tomorrow to test fit. I'm also waiting for some longer 2.5mm bolts to arrive. Wondering if anyone else would be interested in these?

View attachment 24307 View attachment 24308
I'd be interested! How do we go about getting?how much?

Has anyone tried any type of reinforcement prior to gettig cracks? and if so, what are your best solutions? Or is it better to just fly till the cracks either come or don't happen?

Has anyone tried any type of reinforcement prior to gettig cracks? and if so, what are your best solutions? Or is it better to just fly till the cracks either come or don't happen?
If I had to do it all over again, I'd take off the top shell, Put epoxy or bondic around all screw holes and base of motor where the 4 holes converge. On the inside. Unscrew all the screws and then hand tighten. Then monitor over the next 10 flights to see if everything is nice and tight. But I bet DJI will say this voids your warranty if you ever need any sort of repair. So, at your own risk. At the very least, re-torque all screws. Put some sort of band around the arm to keep the shells together. Like the zip ties. You can get opaque white ones and the look pretty nice. That way you don't really affect the plastic. An un-named DJI tech scolded me for putting CA glue on mine externally after a crack started. But whatever. Mine did get worse.

I was uncomfortable with the superglue solution, so I started designing these for my bird. It spreads out the stress over a larger area by binding all six screws to a reinforcement plate. It should connect the upper shell to the entire reinforcement plate instead of just the thin plastic around the two small screws.
PP photo.jpg

I will make some in white also.

I was uncomfortable with the superglue solution, so I started designing these for my bird. It spreads out the stress over a larger area by binding all six screws to a reinforcement plate. It should connect the upper shell to the entire reinforcement plate instead of just the thin plastic around the two small screws. View attachment 24389
How do those screws reach all the way through the plate? Or are they non-stock screws?

Yes, definitely. I'll post when they are ready.
I have the quick connect prop guard plates basically do the same thing-- good idea for everyone who does not run prop guards with quick disconnect.

View attachment 24409
Here's my fix so far. I wanted to make something that looked fairly clean.

This looks like an elegant solution. Reinforcement and spreading the pressure out over a larger area seems ideal. Please let us know if you are going to offer these for sale.

It would be great if a kit was made, including link for longer screws. You guys are incredibly resourceful! Thanks!

I was uncomfortable with the superglue solution, so I started designing these for my bird. It spreads out the stress over a larger area by binding all six screws to a reinforcement plate. It should connect the upper shell to the entire reinforcement plate instead of just the thin plastic around the two small screws. View attachment 24389

This looks good too. Wouldn't be a solution for someone with prop guards already, but would suit most.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20