Dji support tells me that i actually should calibrate before every flight.

So after reading through the manual I also see that it says, "Only calibrate the compass when the DJI Go App or the status indicator prompt you to do so". I just got my P4P+ and it hasn't yet prompted me to do so. So I shouldn't do anything? Is that little "Calibrate" button on the Aircraft Status screen considered a prompt? Or will a screen/prompt explicitly say something like "Please calibrate the compass before your next flight"?
DJI have improved the compass section of the manual but it's still not perfect.
If you ever do get a warning that the compass has detected Magnetic Field Interference (compass error), the correct action is to move your Phantom away from the steel or reinforced concrete you put it on.
Attempting to recalibrate when you are close to the steel is asking for trouble.

Here's an example of a Magnetic Field Interference warning
i-rrXCNS6-M.png

And here's the cause.
i-HHc4qjV-M.jpg

The Phantom is on the steel roof of a car.
The compass is telling you that the magnetic field it detects is not normal.
The solution is to launch the Phantom away from the car.

Reactions: DJI-Polar
Just to throw this into the mix. Here in the UK for Permission for Commercial Operations we have to write up and Operations manual. This includes pre flight checks and prep which we were told should always include a compass calibration. Not only that but between flights (e.g. same landing area but changing out a battery or similar). So I've found this thread very interesting. To be honest before I sat the course I flew 6 months without a compass calibration and had no problems (apart from 1 magnetic interference as noted above). I do a compass calibration at every new location now and still haven't had any problems. (sorry I'm one of those insufferable b*****ds who has never had any significant issues with my 18 month old Drone)

This includes pre flight checks and prep which we were told should always include a compass calibration. Not only that but between flights (e.g. same landing area but changing out a battery or similar).
You;'ll find plenty on the forums that would also advise that ... but they don't know why.
They just advise that because they were told it and someone way back who didn't know what a compass calibration does and when it is required is to blame.
People get a warm fuzzy feeling from doing something that they imagine is good and helpful - even if it (at best) does nothing and (at worst) could cause serious problems.
Understanding your compass and when it does (and doesn't) need recalibrating makes you a safer pilot than simply doing something because someone told you it's a good idea.

Reactions: Kamloops
I am not going to agree or disagree on if / when the compass calibration should be performed. Rather I am going to share my personal experience with y'all.
We are active travelers and do not only travel CONUS but also abroad. We just returned from 2 weeks to Costa Rica & Nicaragua. I have massive footage of pictures and videos taken at both countries that I am currently editing for family and friend's presentation. On this trip I brought the MAVIC, last time I calibrated the compass was right after FW update but never calibrated the compass at either country. I even flew the Mav chasing a fishing boat almost 2 miles off the coast but had no issues

I am also shooting footage at various locations with the P4 Pro, sometimes more than 200 miles away from home. In some cases even across the U.S. / Mexican Border.

Personally I do the compass calibration when I see the prompt in the DJI GO App. If Ain't broke don't fix it.

Can I work with you? Let's do this!
Mike
[email protected]

I am not going to agree or disagree on if / when the compass calibration should be performed. Rather I am going to share my personal experience with y'all.
We are active travelers and do not only travel CONUS but also abroad. We just returned from 2 weeks to Costa Rica & Nicaragua. I have massive footage of pictures and videos taken at both countries that I am currently editing for family and friend's presentation. On this trip I brought the MAVIC, last time I calibrated the compass was right after FW update but never calibrated the compass at either country. I even flew the Mav chasing a fishing boat almost 2 miles off the coast but had no issues

I am also shooting footage at various locations with the P4 Pro, sometimes more than 200 miles away from home. In some cases even across the U.S. / Mexican Border.

Personally I do the compass calibration when I see the prompt in the DJI GO App. If Ain't broke don't fix it.
Bro can I ride with you guys? I wanna get dirty and put in some work! Holla at ya SoCal OxNard boy! Let's hit that border and do what we gotta do!
My reference was the Phantom 4 manual. Did DJI change their procedures or is there a difference between the 4 and 4P compasses

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga