DJI Smart Controller for Phantom 4 Pro+ V2.0

Reaction score
Recently purchased the P4P+V2.0 with the GL300K RC unit... completely useless for 3rd party apps... should of done my due diligence before purchase. What experiences has anyone had utilizing the Smart Controller on the P4P+V2.0? Can you load 3rd party apps?

Thanks in advance.

My understanding is the smart controller is the same as the GL300K RC. I purchased the same because I did not want to use my cell phone for the screen. I fly commercially for a insurance underwriter and can not use their app to take the roof shots and download on the job site. My P4P had an issue lately where it needed repair and since I was grounded needed a backup drone. I purchased a Mavic 2 Pro and am delighted with the controller even though I now have to use my cell as the screen. I am now able to complete my shots and download in the field. I am thinking I will be able to use the same controller once my P4P is returned.

I use the Smart Controller for both my M2Pro and P4Pro V2.
I was able to load litchi and Dronelink on it, although neither is as easy as onto my Android phone and/or tablet. Cannot get Crystal sky to load 3rd party.
No idea if the insurance company app will load.

I use the Smart Controller for both my M2Pro and P4Pro V2.
I was able to load litchi and Dronelink on it, although neither is as easy as onto my Android phone and/or tablet. Cannot get Crystal sky to load 3rd party.
No idea if the insurance company app will load.
Thanks for the response Arnold... wanting some reassurance that the Smart Controller would work with 3rd party apps, above and beyond DJI tech support assurances.

Recently purchased the P4P+V2.0 with the GL300K RC unit... completely useless for 3rd party apps... should of done my due diligence before purchase. What experiences has anyone had utilizing the Smart Controller on the P4P+V2.0? Can you load 3rd party apps?

Thanks in advance.
I'm in the same boat. I paid $500 EXTRA for this USELESS RC unit (GL300K) and it essentially makes my drone useless for my purposes. I bought the drone for mapping.
I thought I did my "due diligence". My research concluded that I needed the GL300K because it had a very bright screen that works in full sunlight. No where in the specs or advertising did I read that it cannot run third party apps. And ... youtube is full with videos of people getting Litchi and Pix4D to run on DJI P4 controllers with the integrated screen. (As it turns out, these aren't the V2.0 controllers. The youtube methods don't work on the GL300K.)
People are dumping these GL300Ks on ebay for $400 and less because they render the P4 useless. Seriously, what else would someone buy the P4 for? Not for great cinematography - you can actually see the props in the footage when the camera isn't pointing down at the ground. Not for stealth - it has to be the noisiest drone on the market. No - this is a mapping drone and there's some genius at DJI who decided to package it with a controller that takes away it's ability to function as a mapping drone. I really want to meet that guy!

I'm in the same boat. I paid $500 EXTRA for this USELESS RC unit (GL300K) and it essentially makes my drone useless for my purposes. I bought the drone for mapping.
I thought I did my "due diligence". My research concluded that I needed the GL300K because it had a very bright screen that works in full sunlight. No where in the specs or advertising did I read that it cannot run third party apps. And ... youtube is full with videos of people getting Litchi and Pix4D to run on DJI P4 controllers with the integrated screen. (As it turns out, these aren't the V2.0 controllers. The youtube methods don't work on the GL300K.)
People are dumping these GL300Ks on ebay for $400 and less because they render the P4 useless. Seriously, what else would someone buy the P4 for? Not for great cinematography - you can actually see the props in the footage when the camera isn't pointing down at the ground. Not for stealth - it has to be the noisiest drone on the market. No - this is a mapping drone and there's some genius at DJI who decided to package it with a controller that takes away it's ability to function as a mapping drone. I really want to meet that guy!
Don't-Trust-DJI, thanks for the validation ... attempting to put up the GL300K in the classifieds.... think I need 3 more posts, hoping this one counts. :)

Don't-Trust-DJI, thanks for the validation ... attempting to put up the GL300K in the classifieds.... think I need 3 more posts, hoping this one counts. :)
Around the time I posted that, I bought a refurbished GL300L on ebay for approx $400. It wasn't supposed to arrive until September 16th (coming from Hong Kong via DHL). However, it arrived yesterday! So ... all tolled, I actually spent $900 extra to have a DJI paperweight, or doorstop, that looks like a serious controller but only works in the capacity of operating the drone as a toy. I've only been a customer for a few months, but I already hate DJI. If there was another drone manufacturer that offered something comparable, I'd replace my P4 just out of spite.

Around the time I posted that, I bought a refurbished GL300L on ebay for approx $400. It wasn't supposed to arrive until September 16th (coming from Hong Kong via DHL). However, it arrived yesterday! So ... all tolled, I actually spent $900 extra to have a DJI paperweight, or doorstop, that looks like a serious controller but only works in the capacity of operating the drone as a toy. I've only been a customer for a few months, but I already hate DJI. If there was another drone manufacturer that offered something comparable, I'd replace my P4 just out of spite.
I ended up with buying a new DJI Smart Controller for more than $400... it plays well with others.

Not sure why you are so hateful. Operate the drone as a toy? What are you talking about? I've been flying my P4P's with the stock controller for years as my aerial camera and have produced stunning images that have been in galleries and sold well. It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Not sure why you are so hateful. Operate the drone as a toy? What are you talking about? I've been flying my P4P's with the stock controller for years as my aerial camera and have produced stunning images that have been in galleries and sold well. It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Yeah? How do you like seeing your propellers in your footage?
I'm not a "craftsman". I'm an engineer and a scientist. I bought this drone for mapping purposes; not to produce "stunning images" of its propellers. The P4P is a great mapping drone. When DJI sells this drone with a controller that disables its ability to operate as mapping drone, its nothing more than a toy for me and does not serve the purpose I purchased it for.
Didn't mean to "trigger" anyone (except the suits who make bad decisions at DJI). But if you're only using the drone to take pretty pictures, this discussion is a little over your head.

Last edited:
Yeah? How do you like seeing your propellers in your footage?
I'm not a "craftsman". I'm an engineer and a scientist. I bought this drone for mapping purposes; not to produce "stunning images" of its propellers. The P4P is a great mapping drone. When DJI sells this drone with a controller that disables its ability to operate as mapping drone, its nothing more than a toy for me and does not serve the purpose I purchased it for.
Didn't mean to "trigger" anyone (except the suits who make bad decisions at DJI). But if you're only using the drone to take pretty pictures, this discussion is a little over your head.
I too, am a career engineer and a scientist as well as a professional fine art photographer. Perhaps those that don't know what the latter means can only say they are pretty pictures, but I can quite well do what this tool is intended for. Your rambling only has put your foot in your mouth. In consecutive sentences you say it is a great mapping drone, and then you say it doesn't have that capability. A drone consists of two components, the aircraft and the controller. They work together. I've made thousands of images and none of them have the props showing. If this item does not meet your needs, stop bitching and buy one that is made specifically for your purpose. My expectation is that you will blast me for pointing this out to you and ramp up your defensiveness.

I believe you don't understand the issue. And you were right, the P4P produces stunning images - if those on your website are any example. Bravo! Sincerely.

My complaint is that I spent $500 more on a P4P/GL300K than I would have on a P4P/GL300L because the "K" has the built-in screen/tablet that is supposed to be brighter and more readable than any conventional tablet in sunlight. What DJI doesn't tell you is that they disabled the tablet's ability to run DroneDeploy and other 3rd party mapping apps. Since they offer no comparable mapping software, they have, in effect, removed the drone's ability to function as a mapping drone. My workaround - buy a refurbished GL300L on eBay from Hong Kong for approx $400. (It looks and feels brand new to me and arrived two weeks early. No complaints with the Hong Kong outlet; that's how a business should be run!) In the end, I spent $900 more than I should have on the resulting solution and spent a lot of time and aggravation unsuccessfully trying to get 3rd party mapping apps to connect to the drone.

I believe you don't understand the issue. And you were right, the P4P produces stunning images - if those on your website are any example. Bravo! Sincerely.

My complaint is that I spent $500 more on a P4P/GL300K than I would have on a P4P/GL300L because the "K" has the built-in screen/tablet that is supposed to be brighter and more readable than any conventional tablet in sunlight. What DJI doesn't tell you is that they disabled the tablet's ability to run DroneDeploy and other 3rd party mapping apps. Since they offer no comparable mapping software, they have, in effect, removed the drone's ability to function as a mapping drone. My workaround - buy a refurbished GL300L on eBay from Hong Kong for approx $400. (It looks and feels brand new to me and arrived two weeks early. No complaints with the Hong Kong outlet; that's how a business should be run!) In the end, I spent $900 more than I should have on the resulting solution and spent a lot of time and aggravation unsuccessfully trying to get 3rd party mapping apps to connect to the dr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31