DJI Service Sends Refurb for 6 Week old Bird

the one I got back looked new, and came with new propellers. It had my old battery with it, and my old case.

I can't say I'm really unhappy except for the slow turnaround time.

I would never ever recommend somebody to buy dji product and especially a brand new one. I unboxed my brand new P4A (came without stickers on the lens and sensors) to find that remote is bad. Turned it to DJI in Netherlands and they sent me replacement remote of a P4 that does not work on P4A. So back to them again and they are not sending a right one to me before they get the wrong one back.
NEVER buying from DJI again.

I would never ever recommend somebody to buy dji product and especially a brand new one. I unboxed my brand new P4A (came without stickers on the lens and sensors) to find that remote is bad. Turned it to DJI in Netherlands and they sent me replacement remote of a P4 that does not work on P4A. So back to them again and they are not sending a right one to me before they get the wrong one back.
NEVER buying from DJI again.

I agreed but only buying refurbished DJI products. Never going to spend the extra money for a new one. Not worthy to me because of their horrendous customer service. I like DJI products, they are ahead of the competition.

Reactions: THECaptainKirk
Not sure what the complaint is. If DJI repaired the original drone and sent it back, you would have a refurbished drone. In other words, there is no difference in receiving a repaired drone or a refurb drone.

I had a 6 week old Mavic that I sent in for repairs only to be replaced by a refurb. True, it doesn't bother some people to get a refurb. Others of us avoid refurbs like the plague. My complaints on getting a refurb were this:
  • I knew how many hours were on my Mavic, how it was treated and stored, and what kinds of conditions it was flown in
  • If you are using these quads for a business, it is still a requirement to register their serial numbers with the FAA. I now have an incorrect serial number registered. Yes it isn't a major deal changing that but how many people realize they were sent a totally different quad?
  • I bought a new quad, not a refurbished one. My quad had less than 10 hours on it. Who knows how many hours are on the one I got.

I had a 6 week old Mavic that I sent in for repairs only to be replaced by a refurb. True, it doesn't bother some people to get a refurb. Others of us avoid refurbs like the plague. My complaints on getting a refurb were this:
  • I knew how many hours were on my Mavic, how it was treated and stored, and what kinds of conditions it was flown in
  • If you are using these quads for a business, it is still a requirement to register their serial numbers with the FAA. I now have an incorrect serial number registered. Yes it isn't a major deal changing that but how many people realize they were sent a totally different quad?
  • I bought a new quad, not a refurbished one. My quad had less than 10 hours on it. Who knows how many hours are on the one I got.
1 - I realize this but it really doesn't matter. It performs as designed and that is the guarantee/warranty.
2 - If using for business (me) the owner should be savvy enough to know he will need to re-register the new number
3 - No one said they would give you a brand new, unopened bird in return for a used, broken bird. No one really cares about how many hours are on it (as a whole). And what do you care as long as it works?

I just had to rebuild my P3S...shell, landing gear and the motherboard/motors from eBay. New registration the day it fired back up. Point being, you gave them used and broken and you got back used and working...and yet you are still complaining.

I just had to rebuild my P3S...shell, landing gear and the motherboard/motors from eBay. New registration the day it fired back up. Point being, you gave them used and broken and you got back used and working...and yet you are still complaining.

I expected to get MY OWN back. I was not expecting a new one, like you implied.

Reactions: The Ghost
I expected to get MY OWN back. I was not expecting a new one, like you implied.
If yours couldn't be repaired, then you got a different one. No harm, no foul, you got what you paid for.

If yours couldn't be repaired, then you got a different one. No harm, no foul, you got what you paid for.

This will be my last response to you because I'm just not into these endless internet arguments. All indications pointed to my Mavic needing the delicate gimbal cable replaced. Not a hard thing if you have the tools and eyesight. I think that DJI, in an attempt to recover from some bad support press, pulls a refurb to send back to you as soon as yours arrives at their shipping dock, regardless of what may or may not be wrong with your original. And if that doesn't bother you, good for you. But it does bother some of us. I work in IT. I see the crap that people put their electronics thru. I don't have a problem with the refurb market, but I don't buy refurbs myself.

The problem is, you agreed to the terms of warranty and that included the replacement with a refurb, just as the agreement stated in the warranty.
Now, if you don't care for that, I understand, but the manufacturer has that option.

I still don't understand why anyone would purchase any dji product from a vendor that does not offer 30 days no hassle returns? Fly the crap out of it, test the crap out of it and with any luck you will find an issue in the return period, if so return and repeat. I get it for folks who are 6 weeks out etc.... but crazy to see folks who have had their product less than 30 having to deal with dji especially after reading just 1/100th of the dji support stories.

Once again I send a 6 week old bird in for stress cracks and get a refurb back that has a small stress crack in a screw hold..I GIVE UP!

A friend of mine purchased a P4 Pro after seeing mine, after only 10 days and 4 flights an 'ESC error' message appeared on the screen and the props would not spin. After reboot etc the problem remained so he took it back to the dealer who sent it off to DJI. Almost a month later the replacement arrived, different serial number, scratches and scuff marks and even the controller had signs of wear. So he basically paid $2,000 for a second hand, beat up Phantom which replaced his shiny, unmarked brand new one.
Absolutely unacceptable customer service by DJI, it should have been replaced by a brand new one being only 10 days old. He had also purchased the extra warranty which is clearly not worth the paper it is written on.

A friend of mine purchased a P4 Pro after seeing mine, after only 10 days and 4 flights an 'ESC error' message appeared on the screen and the props would not spin. After reboot etc the problem remained so he took it back to the dealer who sent it off to DJI. Almost a month later the replacement arrived, different serial number, scratches and scuff marks and even the controller had signs of wear. So he basically paid $2,000 for a second hand, beat up Phantom which replaced his shiny, unmarked brand new one.
Absolutely unacceptable customer service by DJI, it should have been replaced by a brand new one being only 10 days old. He had also purchased the extra warranty which is clearly not worth the paper it is written on.
Agreed and why I would ONLY buy from a seller that offers a 30 day hassle free return. Lots of issues (not all of course) can be netted out in the first several weeks of flying/using/testing. I fired up my new p4p yesterday and you can believe that I'm testing it every which way.

Agreed and why I would ONLY buy from a seller that offers a 30 day hassle free return. Lots of issues (not all of course) can be netted out in the first several weeks of flying/using/testing. I fired up my new p4p yesterday and you can believe that I'm testing it every which way.
Wish Best Buy was more then 14 days,.

Wish Best Buy was more then 14 days,.
I literally back in the day spent over 100K per year at BB (business account/compute for startup's) and the moment they started the 14 day I stopped shopping there. I hear they have a 15% restocking fee on top of the 14 day right?

I sent in a three week old Phantom 4 with about 20 minutes total flight time for repair a while back and got a refurbished P4 in return when I called DJI on the status I was told it was being repaired and I got a refurbished for basically a brand new P4

I sent in a three week old Phantom 4 with about 20 minutes total flight time for repair a while back and got a refurbished P4 in return when I called DJI on the status I was told it was being repaired and I got a refurbished for basically a brand new P4
Yep - that is by design. Vote with your business.

Reactions: macoman
And to all of those that are saying that we should be happy we got a refurb back and not their original back..... why don't the refurbs work or they look like they have been through the war?
That is NOT like getting back a "new" quad... that is getting a quad that is in WORSE condition than was sent in for repair.
The refurb was NOT tested.
Not all refurbs are broken out of the box, but that just confirms DJI's lack of customer support.
No more DJI for me either, even though I haven't flown much, I did fly my P2 alot before I sold it.

And to all of those that are saying that we should be happy we got a refurb back and not their original back..... why don't the refurbs work or they look like they have been through the war?
That is NOT like getting back a "new" quad... that is getting a quad that is in WORSE condition than was sent in for repair.
The refurb was NOT tested.
Not all refurbs are broken out of the box, but that just confirms DJI's lack of customer support.
No more DJI for me either, even though I haven't flown much, I did fly my P2 alot before I sold it.
Actually I don't think anyone would argue the point. dji's customer support or lack of it is legend at this point. The fact they send back a refurb that looks like it barely survived a war is something only dji can answer. I have a several week new P4P that if I have any issues with (works like a champ so far) I will think twice, thrice (is that a word) before sending it to dji.

Amazon is not so great either. I bought P4 from DigitalAndMore via Amazon and when I tried to return for repair or return was told by Amazon that the 3rd party only offers refunds within 30 days. I said it is not that I simply don't like it. IT BROKE (RC battery wont charge). Amazon was firm and so no deal. 1Even their A to Z Guarantee was worthjess in my case. Of course I tried the vendor and got the same 30 days return policy. Apparently they do not support any type of warranty repair or return/refund program. Very disappointed in Amazon. And DigitalAndMore (out of New York) is terrible. I should have read their reviews...barley 85% positive. IN my opinion they are to avoided at all costs. At least at Best Buy you can but an extended warranty plan that will give you a replacement within 1 year or 2 years depending on what you buy. It worked well with a printer I bought there/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.