DJI & Ryze Tech released the Tello drone (a $99 stunt drone)

Don’t forget Intel- Ryze tech has used the Movidius Myriad SOC also.
Yep. But, the more notable point is that it's powered by a DJI flight controller.

I watched a video interview with Ryze at CES... While it has a 100m range, it can only go 10m vertically. Not sure if that was noted anywhere in this thread.

Yep. But, the more notable point is that it's powered by a DJI flight controller.
I guess it’s a matter of perspective and interest. None of the smart features would be possible absent the intel/movidius tech contribution- the flight control component may be seen as less impressive by many, and available from many suppliers, arduino (open source) being one example. How feature rich do you think the I2 and P4 onwards would be without the Movidious SOC? Not to mention the contributions from Texas Instruments and other tech developers. I’m not taking away from DJI, they make great products at good price points however they don’t do it alone.

the flight control component may be seen as less impressive by many
Ryze Tech seems to think very highly of it. They claim it's responsible for allowing the Tello be so stable during flight.

I watched a video interview with Ryze at CES... While it has a 100m range, it can only go 10m vertically. Not sure if that was noted anywhere in this thread.
That's a shame... There are drones that cost less and do much better.

Reactions: Neon Euc

Yea. I am still researching the heck out of these smaller GPS based drones. I want to find a fairly inexpensive (but decent performer) one for my son so that we can go fly together. Seems like something we’d enjoy doing outdoors. Hubsan’s look decent...This one peaked my interest for programming capabilities, etc. May pick one up for my younger daughter later this year. She’d have fun with it.

Ryze Tech seems to think very highly of it. They claim it's responsible for allowing the Tello be so stable during flight.

This is good- the Movidius Myriad is running DJI flight control code ported directly onto it.

Hello Tello - Ryze Announces Intel Myriad VPU Powered Toy Drone | Machine Vision Technology | Movidius

We should see some serious progress
do much better in what regard? It’s not marketed as a quality video rig. For $100 it seems like great value in the fun department.

I just pre-ordered one. Expected date is end of March in Oz.

I did also read that it is compatible with some Blue Tooth game controllers. Not sure which ones are compatible.

I just pre-ordered one. Expected date is end of March in Oz.

I did also read that it is compatible with some Blue Tooth game controllers. Not sure which ones are compatible.
Probably a lot of controllers will work. Litchi supports game controllers- I haven’t tried it yet, haven’t seen the point when I have the phantom RC already connected.

I know it seems I work for them as I advertise this company a hell of a lot but I do recommend shopping with aliexpress for drones. Even the official dji parts are cheaper then most stores. For a quick cheapy drone you can't go wrong here. I actually bought phones from them which had no issues and about 50% less cheaper then what it would costs to buy another phone with the same specs here in the uk
1515663267494.png

Quick tip tho..

Buy from the Asian site. The American and European site sells the same product but much higher price. Plus the Asian stock has a lot more products too

Reactions: AndrewCCM
I know it seems I work for them as I advertise this company a hell of a lot but I do recommend shopping with aliexpress for drones. Even the official dji parts are cheaper then most stores. For a quick cheapy drone you can't go wrong here. I actually bought phones from them which had no issues and about 50% less cheaper then what it would costs to buy another phone with the same specs here in the uk View attachment 93286

Quick tip tho..

Buy from the Asian site. The American and European site sells the same product but much higher price. Plus the Asian stock has a lot more products too

I buy things from them time to time...when I don't need/WANT something quickly. LOL
Lots of soccer cleats for my kids have come from there.. ;)

I know it seems I work for them as I advertise this company a hell of a lot but I do recommend shopping with aliexpress for drones. Even the official dji parts are cheaper then most stores. For a quick cheapy drone you can't go wrong here. I actually bought phones from them which had no issues and about 50% less cheaper then what it would costs to buy another phone with the same specs here in the uk View attachment 93286

Quick tip tho..

All well and good but (I am within the EU, but not in the UK), there's always the chance that you might get hit for the VAT/import tax contributions if the delivery gets picked up by customs. Maybe not a large amount, or even nothing on a drone of this price and maybe even waived if it falls under certain limits (depending on location).

However, getting caught in the 'customs net' (for me), might entail a total-waste-of-time morning spent at my local customs warehouse, with multiple queues for multiple desks, just to pay some 5 euros in taxes.

Speaking personally, I'd rather buy from within Europe, or at least from a Chinese supplier which has sales warehouses within Europe. A bit more expensive, yes - but it's guaranteed to save me all this potential inconvenience.

Can somebody help me out here? Here in Canada there's no way in the world we'd be permitted to fly even that tiny drone so close to people. I think it would be a boatload of fun because they're so small and light in weight that they could do much harm, but under Canada's draconian laws??

Have there been changes to the drone laws that I missed?

Thanks,

Bud

View attachment 93130

"Perform flying stunts, shoot quick videos with EZ Shots, and learn about drones with coding education. Get yourself a Tello to find out just how awesome flying a drone can be!"

See more details here.

Can somebody help me out here? Here in Canada there's no way in the world we'd be permitted to fly even that tiny drone so close to people. I think it would be a boatload of fun because they're so small and light in weight that they could do much harm, but under Canada's draconian laws??

Have there been changes to the drone laws that I missed?

Thanks,

Bud

Transport Canada does not regulate drones under 250g so you're good to go.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT