DJI Pilot - Thinking about moving from Android to Apple

Reaction score
I am one of the many people who are receiving a new Nvidia Shield as a part of their recall. I'm seriously thinking about selling the new shield when it arrives, and buying an iPad mini, especially since most of the 3rd party development focus is on iOS. I never seem to hear about anyone having issues on iOS, but seem to constantly experience crashes / bugs on Android, even after the Google Services rollback. I am not a big fan of Apple products any more, and have been quite happy since moving to an Android phone and ditching my iPhone a couple of years back.

Has anyone else jumped ship from Android to Apple, purely for a better DJI Pilot experience? If so, any regrets?

I'm seriously thinking about selling the new shield when it arrives, and buying an iPad mini, especially since most of the 3rd party development focus is on iOS.
Why do you think most are focusing on iOS? It's not true. I'd say it's about even right now.

I never seem to hear about anyone having issues on iOS, but seem to constantly experience crashes / bugs on Android, even after the Google Services rollback.

There are hundreds if not thousands of Android devices that need to be comparable. There is only one iOS. So yes, it's the nature of the beast. I've been using my Shield and not had an issues. A couple of days ago the app shut down on me but as soon as I tapped the icon, it went right back to the camera screen. If I flew 100 times I'd say it crashed twice.

I'd say right now it's simply a matter of user preference.

I have about 50 flights, and at least 30 app crashes. It always starts back up, but that's beside the point - it shouldn't crash in the first place. Yesterday I went through 2 batteries back-to-back, it crashed on me 3 times.

Regarding 3rd party development, it feels to be at least 2:1 for iOS, but this is purely from my observation - no hard numbers to back that up.

I'd really like to know what the spread is between people that use iOS vs. Android. I wonder if anyone has done a poll on this...

I changed and would never go back IMO there is no comparison I pad mini 2 is perfect No picture lag connects instantly.

I have both. They both have issues. My iPhone 6 has had issues with the video feed and crashing with DJI Pilot, and my Acer tablet crashes periodically. I figured out how to keep the Acer from crashing mid-flight. I clear the video cache and reboot the tablet after each flight. A pain? Yes, but it works so far for me.

Made the change last week from note 4 to iPhone 6+ and am satisfied. My note 4 had all sorts of lagging issues via the video feed and would crash and force close. I have not had 1 crash or force close with the iPhone although I have had 1 episode of lagging but did not have the phone in AP mode. I am not an apple fan but am glad I made the switch for the drone.

I've had the mini 3 for a few months now. Not one issue. Many flights. Very happy with it.
My brother is in the same boat. Tired of his android device crashing. I flew with him the other day and couldn't believe all the issues he was having with it.

I've found using an earlier version of pilot(giving me back the extra channels) on android, has given me better range. Is it possible to use an older version on ios as well?

Apple will never have the developer support that Android has, or has the potential to have, simply because of the BS way apple handles developers. That shows in the current market. There are a few really good iOS apps out there, but two to three time that in the android market. All are still in beta, so little to none show up currently. I have had no issues at all with my Galaxy Tab 4 or my Air 2. The only negative at all is that the Galaxy really doesnt fit the cradle without some modification.

I am one of the many people who are receiving a new Nvidia Shield as a part of their recall. I'm seriously thinking about selling the new shield when it arrives, and buying an iPad mini, especially since most of the 3rd party development focus is on iOS. I never seem to hear about anyone having issues on iOS, but seem to constantly experience crashes / bugs on Android, even after the Google Services rollback. I am not a big fan of Apple products any more, and have been quite happy since moving to an Android phone and ditching my iPhone a couple of years back.

Has anyone else jumped ship from Android to Apple, purely for a better DJI Pilot experience? If so, any regrets?

Do It! You won't regret it.

I've had Apple iOS remove **** from my iPad due to some popular politically correct BS. Also, I've had certain apps be highly limited in their functions due to Corporate Apple having a certain political opinion. I don't care how much easier they MIGHT be in some instances, and Litchi on Android is awesome, I have certain principles I WILL NOT compromise. Freedom of using my paid for product is one of them.

Apple can kiss my ***.

Fair comment. I've not had any such issues so I wouldn't know. Depends what you're using your gear for I suppose.

Admittedly though there are things I want to do with the iPad but only possible with android. Crashing apps seem to be less frequent on iOS imho

Admittedly though there are things I want to do with the iPad but only possible with android. Crashing apps seem to be less frequent on iOS imho
I have not had a single crash on my Galaxy Tab 4 or Galaxy S6. I did on on the Tab 2 and 3 though. Significantly older hardware though.

Reactions: BlackHawk388

Personally, I'd rather deal with freedom than with arbitrary restrictions. I'm certainly not trying to argue with you man. It's just a principle thing for me. And Apple Corporate has a FAR over reaching purview than Android.

This is what led me to Android devices in the first place. Do NOT tell me what I can and cannot use.

Personally, I'd rather deal with freedom than with arbitrary restrictions. I'm certainly not trying to argue with you man. It's just a principle thing for me. And Apple Corporate has a FAR over reaching purview than Android.

This is what led me to Android devices in the first place. Do NOT tell me what I can and cannot use.

It's not for everyone I'll agree with that for sure. I wish sometimes I had more say over what I can and can't do with my device. For me iOS offers a nice all round solution that just works. You get a consistent experience and it doesn't matter how many apps you have open. Maybe I'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses but I just love how my Mac and iPad and iPhone are all on the same page. Haven't read any stories of the pilot app crashing on iOS but plenty of people on here seem to complain about that on android. It's just personal preference isn't it?

Reactions: BlackHawk388
It's not for everyone I'll agree with that for sure. I wish sometimes I had more say over what I can and can't do with my device. For me iOS offers a nice all round solution that just works. You get a consistent experience and it doesn't matter how many apps you have open. Maybe I'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses but I just love how my Mac and iPad and iPhone are all on the same page. Haven't read any stories of the pilot app crashing on iOS but plenty of people on here seem to complain about that on android. It's just personal preference isn't it?

Yes sir, it surely is. Personal preference I mean.

This is what led me to run multiple OS'es on my desktop. Windows and two different versions of Linux. If it weren't for my particular programs/devices that run solely on Windows, I'd be Linux exclusive.

So I understand your preference. Sometimes, easier is simply that, easier. ;)

Reactions: AndyS
I've had extremely frequent disconnected issues with an iPhone 6 Plus IOS 8.4 on two different phantom 3 Advanced models (same w/wife's iPhone 6) trying multiple cables and every possible suggestion on the forums. Perhaps I wound up getting two flaky birds from early shipments, so it could be the aircraft. So many people have smooth sailing with these things, but I've had nothing but both frequent disconnected issues and lag. Otherwise after having tried android and IOS, I prefer IOS by a mile, though with the troubles with this DJI product, it made me question my stand, but not so much now that I hear the android folks are having challenges too

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31