DJI Pilot app (from DJI) freezes while flying

Reaction score
So, got a new P3P and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 16GB tablet. I downloaded the DJI Pilot app directly from DJI, not the Google app store. Every time I fly, the longer I fly, the slower and choppier the FPV gets until ultimately, the app just hangs. I close the app and kill it completely and reopen it and it remains hung. In fact, the entire tablet acts like it is overloaded. After landing, I turn off the controller and *poof*, the tablet springs back to life.

It is almost like the USB data feed from the controller is overwhelming the tablet and once that feed shuts off, the tablet can function again.

Anyone else have any experiences like this, or, any insights?

There are a couple of other threads already about problems like that with the Pilot app.

I recently posted in one about my experience with the Tab S that was almost the same as yours.

Last night, I "rooted" my Tab S and replaced the system with a "pure" version as described at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...om-twdetox-v1-01-knox-free-odex-free-t3099627

The hope is that without all the extra stuff running in the background, performance will be better with the Pilot app. I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

-- Roger

So, got a new P3P and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 16GB tablet. I downloaded the DJI Pilot app directly from DJI, not the Google app store. Every time I fly, the longer I fly, the slower and choppier the FPV gets until ultimately, the app just hangs. I close the app and kill it completely and reopen it and it remains hung. In fact, the entire tablet acts like it is overloaded. After landing, I turn off the controller and *poof*, the tablet springs back to life.

It is almost like the USB data feed from the controller is overwhelming the tablet and once that feed shuts off, the tablet can function again.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone and having a very similar result. Fortunately, most of the time I'll get a note that the Pilot app has stopped. Thus far, each time I start it again it's stayed running. Until this is somewhat solved, I've just been keeping the Phantom close by. Makes me feel somewhat like flying blind and hoping the camera records what I think it's recording. Frustrating.

I would use my note4 and it worked great until the latest firware/app update. Now its too choppy to even use FPV. Luckily I have an iphone as well so using that for now. Hopefully this gets resolved soon. The S5 should be able to handle the app no problem. So its surely a software/fireware issue.

There are a couple of other threads already about problems like that with the Pilot app.

I recently posted in one about my experience with the Tab S that was almost the same as yours.

Last night, I "rooted" my Tab S and replaced the system with a "pure" version as described at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...om-twdetox-v1-01-knox-free-odex-free-t3099627

The hope is that without all the extra stuff running in the background, performance will be better with the Pilot app. I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

-- Roger
Hi there, have you had a chance to try this again yet? I purchased a Tab S purely for fpv flying with my new P3A and today it was almost unusable. Really don't want to go the iPad route but this doesn't seem to be a workable solution so far...

Hi there, have you had a chance to try this again yet? I purchased a Tab S purely for fpv flying with my new P3A and today it was almost unusable. Really don't want to go the iPad route but this doesn't seem to be a workable solution so far...

Putting a clean copy of Lollipop on my Tab S didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Someone suggested trying Kit Kat. I am waiting to hear more before trying it myself.

-- Roger

Uninstall and try the new 1.2 on Google play store.

Why the heck are they releasing firmware apps without testing on all devices. This last release is a disaster. I'm worried my P3 is bricked and will never work....,cant even calibrate it. So depressing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Why the heck are they releasing firmware apps without testing on all devices. This last release is a disaster. I'm worried my P3 is bricked and will never work....,cant even calibrate it. So depressing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is NOT a firmware update.
This is the DJI Pilot App. It may be firmware related but I don't think this has anything to do with your phantom bricking.

Updated firmware on both the bird and controller, updated the Android app to 1.2 - still the same - lags and then freezes. Pretty disappointing.

Updated firmware on both the bird and controller, updated the Android app to 1.2 - still the same - lags and then freezes. Pretty disappointing.
Is the Tab in a case? Are you standing in the sun on a hot day? Are you in airplane mode?

Is the Tab in a case? Are you standing in the sun on a hot day? Are you in airplane mode?
In a case - no. In the sun on a hot day - no. In airplane mode - no - wifi is on.

This should work as a workaround for the Tab S users - probably most Android users actually:

From the DJI forum http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=16777&pid=155833&fromuid=52180

Try downgrading 'google play services' as a workaround:

1. 'Play Store' app > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." to turn off automatic updating

2. 'Settings' app> Security > Device Administrators" and uncheck/deactivate "Android Device Manager" as a device administrator

3. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version when prompted.

4. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL > Google Play Services > Enable ....this will enable the older stock version of google play services

Ignore future upgrade requests for Google Maps etc as that will upgrade Google Play Services also. (until there is a proper fix from DJI)

Hope that works for you too.

Reactions: LordEvil
The Tab S has been sold... The lag ended up causing me to crash. Back to using with Sony z3 compact which is so much smoother and am looking to buy an Nvidia shield tablet as have heard good things about it with the dji pilot app.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone and having a very similar result. Fortunately, most of the time I'll get a note that the Pilot app has stopped. Thus far, each time I start it again it's stayed running. Until this is somewhat solved, I've just been keeping the Phantom close by. Makes me feel somewhat like flying blind and hoping the camera records what I think it's recording. Frustrating.

I started with my old 7" Tab 2, then after the first Pilot app update it didn't work anymore. I then got the Acer 8" tablet, and works well but will sometime stop working in flight. Sometimes it will recover, others I have to restart the table, which takes a few minutes.

I find it kind of unacceptable to be honest... The problem is I don't know who to complain to... Dji or Samsung. The Tab S is one of the most modern and powerful tablets but it is border line non usable as an FPV viewer. I await the NVIDIA shield!

My Tab S works acceptably after the downgrading the Google Play Services as above.

The issue is with the Pilot app consuming lots of CPU, even when it has nothing to do. This in turn heats up the devices causing the various issues.

You would have to complain to DJI regarding the app, but as the device is not listed as 'supported' I dare say you'll be wasting you time at this stage.
By all accounts these issues are being experienced on the supported devices too, so a general 'fix' from DJI will more than likely make the app usable again on many lower-end unsupported devices as long as your android version is > 4.1.2.

"The DJI Pilot app is only compatible with devices running iOS 8.0 or later or Android v4.1.2 or later.
The following devices are recommended:
iOS: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
Android: Samsung S5, Note 3, Sony Xperia Z3 , Google Nexus 7 II, Google Nexus 9, Mi 3, Nubia Z7 mini
Support for additional Android devices will become available as testing and development continues."

I wish someone would build a better app, I would pay good money instead of having the current one cook my phone. You can smell it getting hot.

I wish someone would build a better app, I would pay good money instead of having the current one cook my phone. You can smell it getting hot.

I hope that will come - it would at least be nice to have a backup app.

I will purchase the Ultimate Flight app when it is ready, but the developer is reliant on DJI both fixing the bugs in the SDK, and making the SDK available in the firmware that is released to the masses. See the issue there?

As this might have been mentioned here already but heck... In the (Developer Setting towards the bottom of the screen) there is a setting where you can tell the tablet how many background app's will be allowed to run. You can choose '0'. While I have yet to test this while flying, I killed all of my running apps with a Task Killer, and then set this to 0. Considering I was running about 25 background apps at the time, I think this will end up saving a lot of processing power. After an hour using the tablet as normal, I only had 5 running apps. Worth giving it a shot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.