DJI Phantom 360 degree turn on axis while in hover

Reaction score
Anyone suggest a fix for turning the Phantom 360 degrees while hovering in place with GPS on. When I do a quick 360 it works fine, but to a slow 360 in starts running off in the direction of the initial turn, I've re-calibrated the TX, played with several gain settings, but still no fix. My DJI 550 Hexa and QAV500, turned in a perfect 360 circle without drifting. Wondering if anyone has had success with the Phantom.
Thanks!

snapdog said:
Anyone suggest a fix for turning the Phantom 360 degrees while hovering in place with GPS on. When I do a quick 360 it works fine, but to a slow 360 in starts running off in the direction of the initial turn, I've re-calibrated the TX, played with several gain settings, but still no fix. My DJI 550 Hexa and QAV500, turned in a perfect 360 circle without drifting. Wondering if anyone has had success with the Phantom.
Thanks!

Whats the weight difference between the two? Can wind make the phantom drift a bit more?

mercillus said:
snapdog said:
Thanks!

Whats the weight difference between the two? Can wind make the phantom drift a bit more?

Acts the same in no wind. Just trying to see if there's a gain setting that might help?

Makes me wonder if it is a Phantom Naza M software control issue. They recommend not spinning the Phantom, because
it will cause a yaw error.
Why does the Phantom have it's own Naza Assistant ? And why would they so "strongly" suggest not using the Naza M assistant ?
Basically the Phantom is a FW330. The replacement esc's I got recently had FW330 on the chip.

Perhaps the Phantom's performance is limited purposely, to reduce strain on motor mounts, etc. And to prevent pilots
from flying into statue's and stuff ! ;)

Audaciter said:
Makes me wonder if it is a Phantom Naza M software control issue. They recommend not spinning the Phantom, because
Why does the Phantom have it's own Naza Assistant ? And why would they so "strongly" suggest not using the Naza M assistant ?
Basically the Phantom is a FW330. The replacement esc's I got recently had FW330 on the chip.

Perhaps the Phantom's performance is limited purposely, to reduce strain on motor mounts, etc. And to prevent pilots

the phantom is like a yaris or fit (in the US). don't be expecting it to perform like a lambo, or in the case above like a corolla or civic. they may share a few components, but they are not the same.

short of the phantom being on a turn table, there is no way to spin the phantom perfectly in one spot. this has been discussed before, since the phantom has a GPS tolerance of Vertical: ± 0.8m. Horizontal: ± 2.5m, the craft will never be perfectly still. it will always try to stay within that bubble of tolerance of it's true position.

auck said:
Audaciter said:

the phantom is like a yaris or fit (in the US). don't be expecting it to perform like a lambo, or in the case above like a corolla or civic. they may share a few components, but they are not the same.

short of the phantom being on a turn table, there is no way to spin the phantom perfectly in one spot. this has been discussed before, since the phantom has a GPS tolerance of Vertical: ± 0.8m. Horizontal: ± 2.5m, the craft will never be perfectly still. it will always try to stay within that bubble of tolerance of it's true position.

Thanks - I think that explains it. My 550 was great on spinning, so I expected the same. However, my 550 was not so subtle and as a photographer wanting to shoot an occasional video from above, it drew a crowd. What I like about the Phantom is, it is less intimidating and more friendly to folks. With all the stuff going on, especially here in the Boston area, don't want to be mistaken for some sort of a threat.
However, I think it can spin - watch this video . . .I had a DJI 550 that I could hover, then spin it 360 degrees while hovering steadily in place. With the Phantom, it wants to take off in the initial yaw direction, rather than hovering in place and spinning in a circle? I have tried to adjust the gains, re-calibrated everything including the IMU and transmitter, but still cannot spin the Phantom in a circle while hovering stationary in place. Any suggestions?
Thanks You,
Joe
However, if you watch this video you can see it will spin! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RHIf3Et ... A&index=34

the video guy did state he was fling in ATTI mode because he could not get enough GPS link up to fly in GPS mode. also, if you notice it looks like it was a dead calm where he was flying. The Phantom is a featherweight class compared to a 550. if you are skilled enough, you can actually spin it in place in ATTi mode, but watch out for the wind.

auck said:
the video guy did state he was fling in ATTI mode because he could not get enough GPS link up to fly in GPS mode. also, if you notice it looks like it was a dead calm where he was flying. The Phantom is a featherweight class compared to a 550. if you are skilled enough, you can actually spin it in place in ATTi mode, but watch out for the wind.
Maybe you're right. I'll wait for a calm day and give it a go. I watched his video closely and I think I saw he was compensating with the other stick. I know he's an expert heli pilot. Thanks again for you reply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.