Dji P3s with Different RC and Gimbal Assembly

Reaction score
Hi guys, I bought a second hand Phantom 3 Standard with no RC and no gimbal installed on it (because of its irresistible price). Assuming that I can just buy a spare RC from facebook market and bind it with the P3s. I also did found a used gimbal assembly from the same source to complete my P3s. I installed the gimbal and checked ok when I turned on the aircraft (does the initial calibration and led light on the gimbal is green and ready to go). But the problem is... I can't get to bind the RC to the aircraft and cannot even control the gimbal, and of course no live feed.
My question is this... Is it possible to use the combination of setup I made for my P3s? If yes... Is there any other procedure on how to bind the RC to the AC? I have tried almost every procedure I saw in youtube and other tutorial videos to no avail. (holding down the gimbal wheel all the way down on the RC while toggling S2 3or 4x up and down... Used Go App to link RC and AC... manually upgrade and downgrade firmware via SD card that always failed). (sigh)
I hope that someone here could help me. I don't want my P3s to end up like some kind of a paper weight. lol.
Thank you in advance.

Hi guys, I bought a second hand Phantom 3 Standard with no RC and no gimbal installed on it (because of its irresistible price). Assuming that I can just buy a spare RC from facebook market and bind it with the P3s. I also did found a used gimbal assembly from the same source to complete my P3s. I installed the gimbal and checked ok when I turned on the aircraft (does the initial calibration and led light on the gimbal is green and ready to go). But the problem is... I can't get to bind the RC to the aircraft and cannot even control the gimbal, and of course no live feed.
My question is this... Is it possible to use the combination of setup I made for my P3s? If yes... Is there any other procedure on how to bind the RC to the AC? I have tried almost every procedure I saw in youtube and other tutorial videos to no avail. (holding down the gimbal wheel all the way down on the RC while toggling S2 3or 4x up and down... Used Go App to link RC and AC... manually upgrade and downgrade firmware via SD card that always failed). (sigh)
I hope that someone here could help me. I don't want my P3s to end up like some kind of a paper weight. lol.
Thank you in advance.
The RC needs to be model GL358wA for a P3S. Is that what you have?

The gimbal / camera assy needs to have a sticker on top that says PHANTOM STA. Is that what you have?
P3S gimbal label.JPG

Last edited:
I think your setup is quite doable. I never have problems with linking the remote and can’t retain the procedures for doing so. Use a paper clip to reset on the gimbal. Lol I do know that the antennas, the black and grey wires, transmit video and telemetry. Make sure they are in good shape and connected. Still they are not needed to fly the drone. Old man rattling. I don’t know? Lol

The RC needs to be model GL358wA for a P3S. Is that what you have?

The gimbal / camera assy needs to have a sticker on top that says PHANTOM STA. Is that what you have?
View attachment 120406

Thanks forthe reply... Yes those are exactly what I have. I made sure that the components i bought are for the P3Standard.

Reactions: Oso
I think your setup is quite doable. I never have problems with linking the remote and can’t retain the procedures for doing so. Use a paper clip to reset on the gimbal. Lol I do know that the antennas, the black and grey wires, transmit video and telemetry. Make sure they are in good shape and connected. Still they are not needed to fly the drone. Old man rattling. I don’t know? Lol

Thanks for the reply... unfortunately i have tried those procedures but nothing happens. It will take forever (i think) but the RC just won’t bind with the AC. ?

Thanks forthe reply... Yes those are exactly what I have. I made sure that the components i bought are for the P3Standard.
Excellent. We’ve seen several people buy the wrong RC and other parts, so it’s nice to hear you’ve been careful.

Another issue we’ve seen with the P3S is that the link button on the AC falls off of the board internally. Sometimes they can hear the detached button rattling around inside. When it has happened, people think they are pressing the button on the AC to begin its linking, but they don’t realize that they are not actually pressing anything because it’s not there inside. Obviously, the link fails because the AC never starts the process. With that in mind, can you feel a button depressing when you press the link button on the AC?

Excellent. We’ve seen several people buy the wrong RC and other parts, so it’s nice to hear you’ve been careful.

Another issue we’ve seen with the P3S is that the link button on the AC falls off of the board internally. Sometimes they can hear the detached button rattling around inside. When it has happened, people think they are pressing the button on the AC to begin its linking, but they don’t realize that they are not actually pressing anything because it’s not there inside. Obviously, the link fails because the AC never starts the process. With that in mind, can you feel a button depressing when you press the link button on the AC?

Yes. The linking button is working just fine. Whenever i press it the red light blinks. Meaning it is in pairing or binding mode. But it does not bind with the RC. It won’t stop blinking and the light never turned green. ?

Reactions: JoBe
Gimble light green and presume remote green and single red light,,,,reset the remote might do it since gimble light green but no control from remote,,,I see if I can find the process,,,,,try this then try link
20201020_142228.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JoBe
Let us know what happens

Thank you for your input ianzone, i’ll try that method. I hope that work. I havent tried resetting the RC yet. For now I am charging my RC and P3 batt. I ran out of juice trying to bind the two. Lol. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks.

Thank you for your input ianzone, i’ll try that method. I hope that work. I havent tried resetting the RC yet. For now I am charging my RC and P3 batt. I ran out of juice trying to bind the two. Lol. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks.

Ok, so i tried to reset the RC as you suggested and then did the binding method (with the full charged batt and remote)... but it still did not work. What could be the problem?

I thought that might have done it but my thinking cap is on
I know they wont link if the cam is missing but you all connected again so should link,drone is able to link when cam conected and some then remove cam for bit of speed ,if it becomes unlinked due to circumstances it wont relink until new cam is fitted which is what you have done,we know it's a p3s cam and gimble you change with so bit stumped on that,,thinking now what's going on,I'm going to read through this again cause seems easy fix but we missing something

Does it come up in your wifi networks on your device,,someone might have changed the default 1234 password on back of remote,,,I did not read properly and see now drone came with no remote

I thought that might have done it but my thinking cap is on
I know they wont link if the cam is missing but you all connected again so should link,drone is able to link when cam conected and some then remove cam for bit of speed ,if it becomes unlinked due to circumstances it wont relink until new cam is fitted which is what you have done,we know it's a p3s cam and gimble you change with so bit stumped on that,,thinking now what's going on,I'm going to read through this again cause seems easy fix but we missing something

That’s what i thought, too. Thank you so much for taking time on my P3s issues. As i have mentioned i already did almost all instructional/tutorial videos i can find on the net but to no avail. AC is not linking. It’s stuck on the part where the rear leds are blinking fast yellow waiting for connection even when i already pressed (or not) the linking button underneath. It just wint bind with the RC. I tried to manually flush the latest FW but it always failed. Log says the FW is either the same that was already installed on the AC or older. :(

That’s what i thought, too. Thank you so much for taking time on my P3s issues. As i have mentioned i already did almost all instructional/tutorial videos i can find on the net but to no avail. AC is not linking. It’s stuck on the part where the rear leds are blinking fast yellow waiting for connection even when i already pressed (or not) the linking button underneath. It just wint bind with the RC. I tried to manually flush the latest FW but it always failed. Log says the FW is either the same that was already installed on the AC or older. :(

BTW i did try the FW via SD card. And just a recap my P3s is more like a Frankenstein set (LOL) with different devices or components that came from different units. They were never the original set. Thanks again.

BTW i did try the FW via SD card. And just a recap my P3s is more like a Frankenstein set (LOL) with different devices or components that came from different units. They were never the original set. Thanks again.
Ha yep but even Frankenstein worked when he was complete,,we have all components to create artificial life,remote,complete drone,device,,,still has me like it's a simple fix but its playing games,,always bit of luck needed with used things unless you see them work,,did you have to open shell at all,,was gimble and cam only damage, mayby some props,is the shell in ok condition like no cracks or bad impact marks...........is there any chance old owner still has remote for it,this remote will be linked to this drone because he was obviously flying it with no camera,,but it's odd not to pair again since it been fixed,stratching me brain on that part

Last edited by a moderator:
I did find this post from another member here a while back,it mentions the main board as it needs to talk to the gimble,
Screenshot_20201020-204648_Chrome.jpg

Ha yep but even Frankenstein worked when he was complete,,we have all components to create artificial life,remote,complete drone,device,,,still has me like it's a simple fix but its playing games,,always bit of luck needed with used things unless you see them work,,did you have to open shell at all,,was gimble and cam only damage, mayby some props,is the shell in ok condition like no cracks or bad impact marks...........is there any chance old owner still has remote for it,this remote will be linked to this drone because he was obviously flying it with no camera,,but it's odd not to pair again since it been fixed,stratching me brain on that part

Ok here’s the thing... the previous owner crashed this drone. Causing the landing gear and the gimble break into pieces. The shell suffered only a minimal damage. For his dismay, he decided to sell the drone as parts out. Somebody bought the RC only, and I got the AC (only). I already transplanted the internals into a new shell and now it looks like that it never went into a crash. Mainboard should be ok since it powers ON normally, no components heating up to the point that you can’t touch it, sounds good, led indicators are good, link button is functional, etc. And so i decided to buy its missing parts (RC & Gimbal) to complete the set. But now this happen... can’t get it to work.
The gimbal flashes red when there’s no SD card and solid green if you insert one (which is normal, i think). I may also say it’s ok because it operates as normal.(Does the calibration on start up, 3-axis are working great) with regards to the RC, i tried to pair it with my friend’s P3s and it binded well. So, it’s also in good condition. I wonder what we are missing here. All is good and should be causing no issues... weird huh?....

I did find this post from another member here a while back,it mentions the main board as it needs to talk to the gimble,View attachment 120417

Ok....So how do we make them talk? I’m sure that the connection between the two is ok since there are activities going on everytime i try to install a FW (but evertime i try, it fails). While holding the link button, power ON the AC, and not releasing until you hear the D-D sound on the gimbal which is an indication that the upgrade/downgrade has started. At this point the led light flashes red and green alternatively on the gimbal and the led lights on the AC shows some progress on how the FW is being installed. So somehow, they are communicating, right?

Any chance the antennas, in the legs, were damaged? No way to ‘talk’? Sometimes they come with the legs when purchased.

Reactions: Jahpeyks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.