DJI Innovations Phantom, How Many Defective?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3234
  • Start date
Is this Curtis Smith, aka cssfly, reincarnated ?

I can't understand why you think Colin Guinn is responsible for your GoPro. Unless you got it in writing, that the
Phantom would not fly correctly without it.

What else was the Phantom carrying ? Didn't it have a $700 Zenmuse gimbal, $65 PMU-V2 module, $255 IOSD MK II module,
$65 FatShark video TX ? C'mon now, I bet it was. :p

Not at all! ONLY WHAT I STATED!

READ WHAT WAS POSTED! I apologize if it's beyond your comprehension.

Gentle breezes and LONG battery life!

Dear Mr Guinn,
Please would you give these guys their money back, and then they can go off and buy something else.
I've only just bought my Phantom, I've watched all your videos, and even joined this forum, to read and learn more.
I like flying my Phantom, and thank you for bringing it to the market, I don't begrudge you your profit, we all have to make a living, and I am enjoying what you sell,
p.s please don't feel hurt by their remarks about your integrity, I'm sure they don't mean it.
and I bet you will forget the money you had to reimburse them in a while.
Best wishes
John Harris.

Not sure the DJI-Innovations's Facebook page can be considered an official voice of the company, but they have replied to the concern of fly aways

If you regularly calibrate your compass and IMU, this issue should never occur. In our research we have seen fly aways happen when the compass is not calibrated--this means the GPS unit knows where the home position is, but the compass is telling the craft to fly in an incorrect direction. Hopefully that helps answer your question.

If you read this carefully worded response, it says fly aways always happen when....

This does not preclude some fly aways occur for other reasons.

I haven't had a fly away, dread the thought of having one as it most assuredly would be the end of what for me, is an expensive hobby and I hope it would not cause damage or harm for someone else while in the act of a fly away.

I always, ALWAYS calibrate before I fly just to make sure everything is the way it is supposed to be.

Even though my investment was some-what modest I did not want to lose it so I did/do everything by the book.

I was just doing vertical aerial stills and it became non-responsive when it was about 50 - 60 feet up.

Let's be frank -- we *all* have that little twinge of uncertainty every time we push the throttle up and the quad pops of the ground...is this finally going to be the flight where she goes bye-bye and sails off into the sunset?

And honestly, I think it probably will happen to me someday, and I know when it does I'll regret that I didn't slap that little Garmin tracker on it when I had the chance, or that my mini-DVR wasn't recording the GPS coordinates from my OSD, or whatever. And maybe I'll blame Colin and DJI and scream about my GoPro being stolen by evil Chinese bandits who don't care about us consumers.

But I hope after I get over the initial stages of grief, I'll say...well, s**t happens in life. There's just no way to know what went wrong when you have a flyaway; there are about 30 possible causes and probably only five of them are DJI-related. In my moments of pre-flight anxiety I thought I had thought of *everything* that could possibly go wrong with my Phantom, and then I read about the poor guy who swears his neighbor took control of his Phantom because he had one, too, and turned his transmitter on at the same time he was flying. So, you just never know. Nothing is foolproof.

At the end of the day, remember that I could just take the magneto out of an old microwave, hook it up to a car battery and an inverter, and drive around shooting multirotors out of the sky like Buck Rogers -- it's all 2.4 GHz, man. So yes, maybe DJI was to blame, and maybe they weren't. You'll never, never know.

jonysan said:
Dear Mr Guinn,
Please would you give these guys their money back, and then they can go off and buy something else.
I've only just bought my Phantom, I've watched all your videos, and even joined this forum, to read and learn more.
I like flying my Phantom, and thank you for bringing it to the market, I don't begrudge you your profit, we all have to make a living, and I am enjoying what you sell,
p.s please don't feel hurt by their remarks about your integrity, I'm sure they don't mean it.
and I bet you will forget the money you had to reimburse them in a while.
Best wishes
John Harris.

From your words to Colin's ears. I'd be happy to sell him back my 2 Phantoms from flyaways. The goPro his copter wrecked, gimbals, battery....

Oh, he can't be hurt by remarks to his integrity. You need integrity to be hurt that way.

WTF

D

I always, ALWAYS calibrate before I fly just to make sure everything is the way it is supposed to be.

Even though my investment was some-what modest I did not want to lose it so I did/do everything by the book.

I was just doing vertical aerial stills and it became non-responsive when it was about 50 - 60 feet up.

Seriously?

So, you were flying directly above yourself and lost control! - and you want to blame DJI . . .

. . Oh and you were doing aerial stills? - could you elaborate on how you were controlling the gopro?

@camera_guy (darren) I've watched your video and read the posts about your flyaway. Without hijacking this thread etc, I can see about 5 things in your video that could attribute to your flyaway. I'm not going to say its your fault (the flyaway) but what you made a mistake in doing is posting it up, say "proof of a flyaway" with all the potential causes in the video!

I have my on theories on flyaways, until I can see the maps in the firmware of the naza, its only speculation on how it all happens. From all the reports (and even directly from DJI) flyaways have "something" to do with corrupt compass data, tho I honestly think it goes further than that and may involve the entire GPS module with in the phantom.

Driffill said:

Seriously?

So, you were flying directly above yourself and lost control! - and you want to blame DJI . . .

. . Oh and you were doing aerial stills? - could you elaborate on how you were controlling the gopro?

@camera_guy (darren) I've watched your video and read the posts about your flyaway. Without hijacking this thread etc, I can see about 5 things in your video that could attribute to your flyaway. I'm not going to say its your fault (the flyaway) but what you made a mistake in doing is posting it up, say "proof of a flyaway" with all the potential causes in the video!

I have my on theories on flyaways, until I can see the maps in the firmware of the naza, its only speculation on how it all happens. From all the reports (and even directly from DJI) flyaways have "something" to do with corrupt compass data, tho I honestly think it goes further than that and may involve the entire GPS module with in the phantom.

Yes, and I have been attacked by more people than.....

The first one hit a lake. I did nothing wrong.

The second was documented, and according to Colin and his stupid promises, I like most did nothing wrong.

DJI has misleading marketing practices. It has been proven hundreds or thousands of times.

I truly hope you don't have a flyaway, but I won't be surprised when you do.

DJI and the not credible Colin need to man up.

Sorry, tired of taking $h1t for documenting their lies.

D

Flying directly above yourself with the stock DJI radio system is the absolute worst thing you can do.

The technology they use is great, for putting a receiver on a tiny chip, (and it is tiny). but it is quite susceptible to
unrecoverable interference.

It sure would be nice if the people responding to my inquiry would READ my posting and before responding, writing in response to it, comprehend what was written.

PLEASE, make sure your brain is engaged before placing your fingers in gear to articulate what your mouth would say.

Wishing you long battery life and gentle breezes.

It sure would be nice if the people responding to my inquiry would READ my posting and before responding, writing in response to it, comprehend what was written.

PLEASE, make sure your brain is engaged before placing your fingers in gear to articulate what your mouth would say.

The inquiry being for us to get DJI to replace your GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition,touch screen,32gig memory card, and Phantom
battery.

REQUEST DENIED

There are always people like you, California?, that make civil discourse uncivil. Thank-you!

Wishing you long battery life and gentle breezes!

Audaciter said:

Flying directly above yourself with the stock DJI radio system is the absolute worst thing you can do.

The technology they use is great, for putting a receiver on a tiny chip, (and it is tiny). but it is quite susceptible to
unrecoverable interference.

I thought this was ok if your tx antenna was oriented properly?

Or is the concern the vertical position of the rx antenna on the Phantom?

My antenna was erect. I always point it in the direction of the craft.

Thank-you for reaching out to me!

May your batteries give you long flight time and may you have gentle breezes!

THANK - YOU for reaching out to me.

Gentle breezes and long battery life!

Get real! You should quit while you're ahead of the game, many others were not as fortunate. You are VERY lucky that DSLRPro's did what they did for you. I applaud them but also think they're crazy to have done so and suspect they only did so in fear that you threatened to trash them on this forum if they didn't. I have been flying the phantom for 2 months with 4 batteries, maybe 60 flights. I have spent countless hours reading, learning and researching this product and have learned the following:

Many flyaway reports (like yours) are the result of user error; be it insufficient GPS lock with enough satellites to support RTH failsafe, taking off without a recorded home position, etc.

BUT: what immediately gives me cause for concern about your situation is you committed what I consider a cardinal sin if you were flying what was current firmware at the time of your loss in early July.... You state that you cut the TX power to invoke RTH failsafe..... why on earth would you do that if you can do the safer and smarter choice of programming the 2nd ATTI switch position (toggle to bottom position on right toggle) to maintain full TX link to the Phantom and be able to resume control of the Phantom at any point of the RTH failsafe process by switching to ATTI and inputting either throttle or direction to resume control....

I'm convinced that too many people who report these inexplicable flyaway's are at fault because they seem to never state any of the pre-flight checks/confirmations they went through before liftoff to demonstrate they are competent Phantom pilots before making accusations. This is a hobby. RC is inherently risky due to the environment and spurious radio signals that are ever-present. There are no guarantees and the loss of your Phantom cannot be blamed on DJI as there are too many human error aspects to this hobby.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.