DJI Innovations Phantom, How Many Defective?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3234
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3234

Has anyone's Phantom become non-responsive during flight and not returned home when you cut the power?

Late July I lost my Phantom because the "go home" feature did not work. I lost my Phantom, Hero 3 Black + Phantom battery + GoPro Touch Screen + SanDisk 32 gig memory card. The Phantom is somewhere in a corn or bean field in Ohio waiting to be discovered by a farmer this fall.

DSLR Pro's were kind enough to replace it and "support" from DJI Innovations said that they did not support the GoPro because it was not their product.

Their product, DJI Phantom, did not perform as advertised and caused the loss of the GoPro camera. What kind of an outfit is DJI Innovations if it doesn't stand behind their product? What kind of person is Collin Guinn? After all, Collin boldly tells everyone that if a wrestler slaps your transmitter out of your hands not to worry because it will return home. My experience proved him WRONG! Collin Guinn, it's time to put up and back up your words. REPLACE MY GOPRO 3 BLACK EDITION WITH TOUCHSCREEN BACK AND SANDISK 32 GIG MEMORY CARD. PROVE TO THE WORLD YOU ARE A STAND-UP GUY!

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide some help. Especially, if someone can help me get DJI Innovations to replace my GoPro camera and accessories. I was really hoping DJI Innovations would own-up to the problem and replace the camera so I could tell the world they are a first class organization. Unfortunately they are ignoring me. I guess they have never heard of good will.

I feel for you my friend but I fear you will never get them to replace your GoPro.

The fact DSLR pro replaced the Phantom is a step beyond what many companies would do with a product like this. Don't get me wrong I agree that a defective product should be subject to compensation but when I put my business hat on I can also see how much money could be lost on re-funding lost products. If DJI started refunding it would just open fraudsters up to buying Phantom's, selling them for cash and then claiming loss of both Phantom, Go Pro and all other equipment (FPV, OSD etc etc).

The problem is that these devices as with any RC device are too open to other factors causing failure. No one can guarentee that even a 100% perfect model will survive a lifetime because interference and pilot error are always possible. I'm not in any way saying this is the case but the most frustrating thing for a fly away/loss is the lack of evidence to prove it was a faulty product.

I wish you the best of luck with your pursuit on the claim and maybe others can chip in and help but I worry that you could spend an awful lot of time, energy and money on the GoPro pursuit for little value.

DeweyAXD said:
I feel for you my friend but I fear you will never get them to replace your GoPro.

The fact DSLR pro replaced the Phantom is a step beyond what many companies would do with a product like this. Don't get me wrong I agree that a defective product should be subject to compensation but when I put my business hat on I can also see how much money could be lost on re-funding lost products. If DJI started refunding it would just open fraudsters up to buying Phantom's, selling them for cash and then claiming loss of both Phantom, Go Pro and all other equipment (FPV, OSD etc etc).

The problem is that these devices as with any RC device are too open to other factors causing failure. No one can guarentee that even a 100% perfect model will survive a lifetime because interference and pilot error are always possible. I'm not in any way saying this is the case but the most frustrating thing for a fly away/loss is the lack of evidence to prove it was a faulty product.

I wish you the best of luck with your pursuit on the claim and maybe others can chip in and help but I worry that you could spend an awful lot of time, energy and money on the GoPro pursuit for little value.

Well said Dewey and two thumbs up to DSLR Pro for replacing the phantom. That is awesome!!!

A manufacturer should stand behind their product(s) and make good on their promises. Why would anyone want to buy anything from a manufacturer that didn't stand behind their product?

Collin Guinn boldly states the product will fly home should a wrestler slap your transmitter out of your hands.

The Phantom was designed to carry the GoPro. The Phantom comes with a rig to hold the GoPro.

It is simple, they just want your money and the hell with the consumer. We do not tolerate this in The United States of America.

I am wondering how many consumers around the world have experienced this issue?

I have never heard of a company that would willingly replace another manufacturers product (for example GoPro) because of a claim of loss or damage due to their equipment. They could be forced to do so by a court of law but the burden of proof is on the plaintiff. Unfortunately, the costs of court action is probably not worth it & I don't see how you could prove your claim
even though I believe you.
I almost lost mine yesterday & was very fortunate to recover it. I feel your pain.

I'm just getting deeply into this hobby coming from the not-so-adrenaliney world of RC submarines (http://www.rc-sub.com is my homepage). I have, however, logged a decent amount of time on my Phantom.

Honestly, I am flabbergasted that DSLR Pros replaced your quad. Count your blessings and run, man. Unless there was a guarantee card in the box that I missed when I got mine, there is no guarantee of performance from DJI, and I can't think of any other manufacturer that would offer a similar performance guarantee in the hobby. As mentioned previously, there are just too many factors that could cause issues, and all of them are beyond manufacturer control.

Ultimately, its up to each of us to ensure, to our satisfaction, that the model is adequately protected from unforseen eventualities, be that flying in open areas away from obstacles or outfitting it with a standalone GPS system to track it if it gets lost.

I understand your frustration, but you're ahead of the game by a longshot. Be satisfied with that.

I didn't buy the Phantom as a hobby. I do film and video production. The sole reason I bought it was because of the features and benefits Collin Guinn extolled.

It is obviously very annoying when it happens to say the least but if you can't recover it, how can the cause be established? It could have happened for many reasons, not all down to a product fault.

How can you prove what was on it when it went AWOL? I can't see any company replacing anything without some proof of a) what kit was installed? b) was it installed correctly? c) was is being used correctly? d) did it actually fly away in the first place?

Damage it through some fault of your own and then bury it in to the ground from a great height and claim a loss of control.

DJI would be bankrupt in no time.

Forums are notorious for only attracting comments from unhappy users. I wonder how many happy ones there are out there?

Fingers crossed it never happens to mine but I won't be holding my breath if it does.

Collin Guinn said it would return to point of lift-off, return home. IT DID NOT! IT WAS ALL SETUP ACCORDING TO COLLIN GUINN'S VIDEOS.

THE PRODUCT DID NOT PERFORM AS ADVERTISED! IF THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PHANTOM, EXPLAIN WHY DSLRPROS SENT A REPLACEMENT AND A DJI INNOVATIONS REPRESENTATIVE ALLUDED TO THIS HAPPENING?

I'm looking for solutions. How would you like to buy something and the manufacturer ignored you and could care less about your problem(s) and knew full well of this being a liability? I have a legitimate concern. After all, the Chinese manufacturing industry is notorious for lack of QC!

My worry is that your frustrations are blinkering you from your own argument somewhat. Imagine you are sat in a Jury for a court case based on someone that has had your experiance and you are asked to decide beyond reasonable doubt that it is DJI's product and not an exteranal source like radio interference that has caused the fault. You are then presented with a case based on no physical evidence at all vs proof on how busy the 2.4ghz radio band is (that carrys 90% of all Wifi devices).... you may be sat there feeling they are guilty but you couldn't in all honesty say beyond reasonable doubt it is a fault of the device compared to a rogue 2.4ghz interference. Again I'm not saying this is the case for you, just that it 'could' be and as such no company will open their door to what would set 'case presedent' without having evidence to prove their own liability. If they did all crashed phantoms would get thrown in a bin on impact and a case claiming loss would occur... DJI go bankrupt over the cases and other manufacturers stop building in fear of similar liability.

Again I really hope you get somewhere and wish you the best with it.

You are asking for solutions/suggestions and full caps shouting in forums will get you nowhere with your actual case. My suggestions/solutions based on what I'd do:

Well if anything you need to push DSLR Pro to fight your case with DJI on your behalf as they will hold a lot more weight with them due to their reputation and buying power (one consumer is a small fish in a BIG pond). They have been good to you so far so tread carefully. Their good will gesture was a sign of good customer service but not an admission of product failure. They will see a $200 loss (trade price to them most likely) as worthwhile if it keeps you in good faith because you will likely come back, buy your new GoPro and a bunch of other kit from them. I really think you'll find their kindness will dwindle if they see the case spread all over forums like this. Afterall who in here wouldn't buy one from DSLR Pro now knowing they might replace a flyaway with no evidence of why it got lost or evidence to back failure. If all else fails and you still feel strongly I suggest you seek legal advice based on your false advertising claim. I suspect they will tell you everything we have here but who knows maybe we are wrong.... hell I am no lawyer (if I were a i'd probably be flying a real Helicopter and spitting on the shoes of anyone with a quad that might get in my airspace! :lol: )

Collin Guinn said it would return to point of lift-off, return home. IT DID NOT! IT WAS ALL SETUP ACCORDING TO COLLIN GUINN'S VIDEOS.

THE PRODUCT DID NOT PERFORM AS ADVERTISED! IF THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PHANTOM, EXPLAIN WHY DSLRPROS SENT A REPLACEMENT AND A DJI INNOVATIONS REPRESENTATIVE ALLUDED TO THIS HAPPENING?

I'm looking for solutions. How would you like to buy something and the manufacturer ignored you and could care less about your problem(s) and knew full well of this being a liability? I have a legitimate concern. After all, the Chinese manufacturing industry is notorious for lack of QC!

Why are you YELLING at us. All replies have been very compassionate to your issue. Your dealer went way overboard in my opinion and you should be very happy with that outcome. It seams as though you just signed up on the forum and we are all here to help. I know I need help. Your certified DJI dealer is your best option for some type of closure. I think you are a head of the game.

Good luck on your endeavors.

E

I now realize why the world is so screwed-up. THANK-YOU! The argument you provide is not from the consumers' "pov".

Thanks and have a wonderful life!

I didn't buy the Phantom as a hobby. I do film and video production. The sole reason I bought it was because of the features and benefits Collin Guinn extolled.

As a professional aerial photo rig the Phantom is a bit oversold. It doesn't have the lift strength, stability, flight duration or pre-programmed shots and flight planning of the Wookong setup with the Flame wheel line. That said, its a fraction of the cost and a superb entry level setup. Mine doesn't deserve to fly after the number of times I've crashed it, and sunk it underwater. Still keeps on ticking with no issues....so far! If you have balanced props, are willing to edit a lot of crap out and do some post processing its possible to get acceptable video even without a gimbal. These technologies have only been at the newby level for less than a year so I'm sure, like the early days of computers, we'll see huge improvements within the next year or two.

Roadkilt said:

As a professional aerial photo rig the Phantom is a bit oversold. It doesn't have the lift strength, stability, flight duration or pre-programmed shots and flight planning of the Wookong setup with the Flame wheel line. That said, its a fraction of the cost and a superb entry level setup. Mine doesn't deserve to fly after the number of times I've crashed it, and sunk it underwater. Still keeps on ticking with no issues....so far! If you have balanced props, are willing to edit a lot of crap out and do some post processing its possible to get acceptable video even without a gimbal. These technologies have only been at the newby level for less than a year so I'm sure, like the early days of computers, we'll see huge improvements within the next year or two.

+1 for sure.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I've only had my phantom for a few days and I've been flying in a park at the end of my street. The park is surrounded by really big horse chestnut trees (they're much higher than the height the phantom flies during the go home and that's supposed to be 60 feet) I have been standing in the shade of one of the whilst flying and I have noticed that the Phantom loses the GPS when I fly close to the trees but that's not the fault of the Phantom that's my fault for flying next to the trees (you can see the status light flash green then 3 times red meaning it has too few satellites for the go home to work). Flying away from the trees I can see the status light go solid green again. Maybe you got some interference or the GPS signal was lost. I have been playing with the go home function I flew to the other side of the park turned off the transmitter and filmed it on my phone flying back, with the status light green mine works perfectly. Oh and one other thing once you connect your battery you need to leave you Phantom sat on the ground for at least 8-10 seconds or the home point is not set and the go home will not work. What I have been doing is just watching the status light and not taking off until it is constantly green.

CG does say in his videos that you must have 6 or more satellites or the go home wont work either one green flash and one red or solid green if you see two or more red flashes go home will not work. TBH getting your Phantom replaced is above and beyond you've been pretty lucky in that regard. As for your go-pro I have to feel for you but I would imagine if you read the t's & c's any company has a limited liability which means they are on responsible for their product and nothing else. I'm surprised they replaced the Phantom tbh rc aircraft have an inherent risk of being lost. The fact that DJI have attempted to reduce this is pretty good. The features and modes of the Phantom at the price they charge again I have to say is pretty good.

Also if you lose control with the s1 switch set to GPS the only way to manually regain control if the go home doesn't work is to switch to ATT mode and try to recover. Once you lose the signal you can't recover it in GPS mode the only recovery is the go home and if the go home doesn't have enough satellites it won't recover. Switch to ATT and try to regain control. CG does say this in his videos.

To make sure the go home works

Turn on your transmitter

Set S1 to GPS on your transmitter

Connect your battery

Wait 8-10 seconds with the Phantom just sat on the ground (DO NOT start the motors the home point isn't set yet and starting the motors now will prevent it from being set and make the go home not work)

Status light green + 2 or 3 reds not enough satellites and home point is not set (the status lights may go through a few iterations/cycles before they have enough satellites just be patient)

Status light green +1 red or solid green then you have 6 ore more satellites and the home point is now set

Now start your motors and you should be good to go just be aware that tall trees or building will block some of your satellites so try to be clear of them

If you do lose the satellites and control switch to ATT that being said I have been experimenting with my transmitter turning it off today and testing the go home and the ATT recovery and both have worked every time.

Has anyone's Phantom become non-responsive during flight and not returned home when you cut the power?

Late July I lost my Phantom because the "go home" feature did not work. I lost my Phantom, Hero 3 Black + Phantom battery + GoPro Touch Screen + SanDisk 32 gig memory card. The Phantom is somewhere in a corn or bean field in Ohio waiting to be discovered by a farmer this fall.

DSLR Pro's were kind enough to replace it and "support" from DJI Innovations said that they did not support the GoPro because it was not their product.

Their product, DJI Phantom, did not perform as advertised and caused the loss of the GoPro camera. What kind of an outfit is DJI Innovations if it doesn't stand behind their product? What kind of person is Collin Guinn? After all, Collin boldly tells everyone that if a wrestler slaps your transmitter out of your hands not to worry because it will return home. My experience proved him WRONG! Collin Guinn, it's time to put up and back up your words. REPLACE MY GOPRO 3 BLACK EDITION WITH TOUCHSCREEN BACK AND SANDISK 32 GIG MEMORY CARD. PROVE TO THE WORLD YOU ARE A STAND-UP GUY!

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide some help. Especially, if someone can help me get DJI Innovations to replace my GoPro camera and accessories. I was really hoping DJI Innovations would own-up to the problem and replace the camera so I could tell the world they are a first class organization. Unfortunately they are ignoring me. I guess they have never heard of good will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLRwOeeHdlg

That's my story. Same as yours. Colin ignored my emails, my video, I even had the story talked about on a well followed Photography blog.

You can consider yourself fortunate that DSLR Pros gave you a replacement. They offered me $100 off one, but I didn't buy mine from they originally, so they are a stand up organisation.

What you are experiencing now, and will is the backlash for stating that the emperor has no clothes. You are about to be blamed for user error, and all sorts of things by the users who "Don't believe in Fly Aways" I am sorry you will experience it.

I am sorry for your loss and inconvenience. I bought it all over again, and I've seen it happen to others too.

You are correct in my opinion. Colin has misled and lied in his advertising. He refuses to do anything to solve the issue. I guess he's too busy counting his money.

If he was a man of character, he would do something to solve the problem. He would have returned my call or email. He would have responded to the Photography Blog reporter. He would have responded to the others who had the same issue.

The Fact is, they are selling more of these units than they can count, and it must be in the tens of millions in profits by now.

Once again, sorry for your trouble, and keep up the good fight, but it will be a fight. You just don't know who your opponents will be.

Darren

Not sure how you paid for the phantom.... But if it was purchased on an American Express Card, American Express extends the manufacturers warranty and also will replace an item up to 90 days from the date of purchase. If it's damaged, lost or stolen. It's included free for every American Express cardholder.

Something to check out!

CameraGuy said:
They offered me $100 off one, but I didn't buy mine from they originally, so they are a stand up organisation.

Wow these guys really do shine as a great example of a 'care about the customer' company. That is a truly excellent gesture!

I wanted to just say that I for one do believe fly aways do happen and hope I didn't come across as a "Don't believe in Flyaway" person (its why I have my GTU10 afterall). With something as small and as technical as a Phantom, built for bottom dollar for the mass market, I have no doubt genuine failures occur due to faulty manufacture. It happens on high end phones, laptops, cameras and cars its just they don't vanish into the distance leaving the owner without much of a case. All I've heard of DJI on these issues (including the Zenmuse) is that they do clearly do NOT shine as a 'care about the customer' company.

I have a similar issue with GoPro over my Hero3 which continues to overheat. I've spent maybe £500 with them on the camera and add-ons yet they maintain overheating is normal and offer no solution (even under warranty!).... the reason I use this as an example is that, I too, am fighting that 'fit for purpose' case now (why market a high end version of an action cam that overheats in the high end modes). It is a pain in that *** to fight the case and that is with my camera available as proof so your cases must be truly tricky.
I think the key though is the attitude taken to fight the case.... Darren yours is spot on IMO. Calm and considered in the face of what can only be true frustration. Others clearly don't do so well on this front as shown by this thread and I think that just makes the battle greater.

THANK-YOU, those of you who shared a similar experience and provided positive feedback. It's refreshing to hear from the consumer side and not the retailer side.

I guess I just have to bite the bullet and not buy anything from DJI Innovations again. Collin Guinn most certainly needs to learn good public relations. This reputation will catch up with him sooner than he would like when he discovers market loss he'll maybe know why. It's too bad too because I still seriously believe he has a product with great potential and the potential for GREAT fun!

Wishing you all great battery time and gentle breezes!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic