DJI go update 2.8.0

The GO app is now over 165MG and the worse part is I'm not so sure it is for the Phantom anymore. I stayed at app version 2.4.3 which is when it was under 90MG. I hope those of you that do upgrade get some kind of benefit from doing it.

Reactions: bobomet
Just made a quick 10 minute flight on 2.8.0. Max distance out: 1700 feet. Didn't encounter any issues at all. Rock solid. All signal levels were still maxed out at 1700 feet from home and the video never dropped a frame. I didn't see the "Safe to Fly - Non GPS" warning that I had seen in the prior version but then again, it only happened on one flight previously. Took some video and some pictures without issue. Didn't test a whole lot but it seems solid.

Mike

Reactions: StevenQX
One area DJI has been weak in is the battery consumption meter (progress bar across the top). We all know we cannot depend on that to tell the truth, we've learned to always monitor the battery voltage to get a clear picture of battery status. This new release doesn't state it optimizes the battery meter bar, per se. It's vague when they state optimizing "battery consumption" as a change.

Many of us have noticed from one flight to another, 30% can be way different between batteries and craft, in correlation to battery voltage. If you use msinger's flight log reader and look at 5 of your flights, comparing 30% and 40% to voltage, you'll see what I mean. I think this flaw contributes to spontaneous auto landings with little warning (however this has never happened to me yet). I'm hoping they did something to make the battery meter more consistent in relation to battery voltage.

Reactions: alokbhargava
I installed Go App 2.8.0 and had initial trial runs on P3 and all seem to be GOOD. More results to come later.

The GO app is now over 165MG and the worse part is I'm not so sure it is for the Phantom anymore. I stayed at app version 2.4.3 which is when it was under 90MG. I hope those of you that do upgrade get some kind of benefit from doing it.
Too many hardware types now using this one app.

One area DJI has been weak in is the battery consumption meter (progress bar across the top). We all know we cannot depend on that to tell the truth, we've learned to always monitor the battery voltage to get a clear picture of battery status. This new release doesn't state it optimizes the battery meter bar, per se. It's vague when they state optimizing "battery consumption" as a change.

Many of us have noticed from one flight to another, 30% can be way different between batteries and craft, in correlation to battery voltage. If you use msinger's flight log reader and look at 5 of your flights, comparing 30% and 40% to voltage, you'll see what I mean. I think this flaw contributes to spontaneous auto landings with little warning (however this has never happened to me yet). I'm hoping they did something to make the battery meter more consistent in relation to battery voltage.
"Optimized CPU usage and power consumption" has everything to do with the smart device or tablet and nothing to do with the voltage/battery consumption monitoring of the bird. People need to check the most outstanding issues that cropped up over the last two updates, in IOS that being the pinch zoom bug and I think for everyone, wacky flight records showing errors in the altitude archive. If DJI is optimizing CPU and power consumption, that may help the app respond better on devices that are a bit behind in the processor and should help every device avoid unusually fast battery drainage, overheating, and outright rebooting from overheating. This could be a timely effort for many of us who fly in hot climates, as it's getting warmer and warmer now. Hopefully this will help our phones and tablets better handle the demands of the app itself, which would be a great thing. I've often felt the app is the weak link in the chain, so stability improvements are welcome.

Out of curiosity, and IT APPEARS the answer is no, but this isn't going to update the RC firmware, right?

I updated today but probably can't fly for a few days due to weather.
I agree that trying to support too many platforms with 1 app will soon become problematic and cause much more updates to happen.

I tested it on iPad mini 2 and iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 9.3.1 and all appears to be OK

If one has 2.7.1 iOS , he can switch to 2.8 with no hesitation. I have not found any negative so far.

Reactions: Dome
Out of curiosity, and IT APPEARS the answer is no, but this isn't going to update the RC firmware, right?
No, this release is only for GO app and nothing to do with RC

Reactions: arcaine25
I did 6 flights this morning without any real issue.

Only 2 things I found with my iPad is it did not connect to iPad each time I powered up.
Unplugging iPad and then replugging solved the problem.
Other issue is I had black map screen (which I had previously cached).

Zooming out brought the map up and then zoomed back in.

If your not running all the latest firmwares or software I suppose DJI have a "get out" on your warranty when it goes wrong and your NOT on the latest versions!.... What do you say to that - those who don't change?

I just had a warranty repair - I did have to update before they'd let me send it in, but there was no problem running the system with an old set of firmwares that worked well for me. If anything, the problem coming up with no firmware changes made it more clearly a hardware problem.

If your not running all the latest firmwares or software I suppose DJI have a "get out" on your warranty when it goes wrong and your NOT on the latest versions!.... What do you say to that - those who don't change?

No, they don't have any "get out"! Like when they released the previous firmware update back in April many of us got a lot of problems due to different things, things that the new firmware update had with it. I know many tried to downgrade the firmware again, but that's absolutely not possible.
So that's why, at leat I dont update too quick! I'll be waiting and see if the new update brings along any new issues with it before I update my app.

Have a great flying day you all!! :-D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj