DJI Go shows full telemetry but will not talk to aircraft

Reaction score
A very strange thing has developed with my P3P and the Go app. I took the bird out about 3 weeks ago for a fly and all was well. Put all away for few couple of weeks. Yesterday I was going to do some flying so I went through a pre-check. Batteries full, aircraft connected, full telemetry, no errors. However, I attempted to use the Go app to launch and nothing happened, it gave me a timeout. I also tried to do a gimble calibration, got a command timeout. Full video on the app and the telemetry was coming in but the aircraft will not take commands. I tried re-linking the aircraft to the controller n case that was the problem and even deleted and reloaded the Go app. I went through each menu, trying to program the aircraft and the only thing that worked was the snapshot button. Very strange. The aircraft will fly fine manually from the controller and the Go app will show full telemetry. I had to use the controller buttons to take stills and video and the app showed that it was in progress, just no control from the app! Using an iPad Pro with the latest IOS 11 updates. Some of which happened between the last flight. Could the ios updates have caused an issue?

Have you tried a different Lightning cable?

Reactions: JoBe
Using an iPad Pro with the latest IOS 11 updates. Some of which happened between the last flight. Could the ios updates have caused an issue?
Yes, any significant change such as an OS can cause issues. Which version of 11 are you using? Some versions have been reported here to have issues.

Also, have you already tried another device?

Last edited:
I’m currently on IOS 11.2.1. I only have IOS devices and I’m afraid they are all current. I might have and old iPhone 5 I can try but it will need to be resurrected. If it’s the IOS, I would think others would be reporting the issue. I’m going to hold off for a while to see if there are other reports. I put a ticket in at DJI and will see what they say.

Reactions: BenjaminD
I only have IOS devices and I’m afraid they are all current. I might have and old iPhone 5 I can try but it will need to be resurrected. If it’s the IOS, I would think others would be reporting the issue. I’m going to hold off for a while to see if there are other reports. I put a ticket in at DJI and will see what they say.
Other have reported issues with 11 which is why I asked you which version you have. I think however that the very latest are already okay.

EDIT: I did a search and found that there was a known issue with iOS 11.1.2 which many reported. It was resolved by installing iOS 11.2.1 so you should be good in that regard since you have the very latest.

Last edited:
Other have reported issues with 11 which is why I asked you which version you have. I think however that the very latest are already okay.

EDIT: I did a search and found that there was a known issue with iOS 11.1.2 which many reported. It was resolved by installing iOS 11.2.1 so you should be good in that regard since you have the very latest.

Yes, I am at 11.2.1. It’s very strange. There are some other big issues going on with IOS, just last week Apple admitted to slowing down processors on devices with older batteries. Just wondering if this was also related to the CPU Overloaded issues we experienced with the last Phantom BIOS update a few months ago? Seems like sooner or later, the truth comes out! Anyway, I can still fly, but only manually with the controller.

Update: I charged up an old iPhone 5 running IOS 10.2.1 and it has GO app version 3.1.6 and everything is working, at least on the control side. Went out to the App Store and I see that the latest GO app version (which I have on my iPad) is 3.1.23. I’m almost afraid to load the latest GO app on this iPhone 5 but it would prove to me that it’s IOS and not DJI software I suppose. Thanks Oso, I think you put me on the right track, even though 11.2.1 did not fix the problems. I may try to go back to 10.xx.

EDIT: Just updated to the Go app version 3.1.23 on the old iPhone 5 and everything still works. This is telling me it is an IOS issue.

Also, I have a newer 12.5’ iPad Pro. It also has IOS 11.2.1 on it. Just put the latest Go app on it and it exhibits the same issues as my 10.9’ iPad Pro. Hope DJI comes out with a patch for iOS 11.2.1. Apple does not make it easy lately to downgrade and iOS devices are one of the most used with DJI Go.

Last edited:
I just updated to 11.2.1 last night, I'll try a few things out on my Inspire Pro (it's the only drone I have that uses DJI GO not DJI GO 4) and see if I have any issues.

I just updated to 11.2.1 last night, I'll try a few things out on my Inspire Pro (it's the only drone I have that uses DJI GO not DJI GO 4) and see if I have any issues.
Yes, I would be curious if you have any issues. I'm about to follow some instructions to downgrade to 11.1. Turns out you can't go below that on rollbacks unfortunately. I will post the results. If you also have issues with 11.2.1, the word needs to get out to the folks so the don't goof up their Go app until a patch comes out.

I just confirmed with Apple Support that you can't roll back from ios 11.2.1 to an earlier version so I'm screwed until DJI comes up with a patch. rynatrax, let me know as soon as you can try yours out to see if you get control. I was getting telemetry, just lost the programming features, launch and camera settings. If you are goofed, we should launch a campaign with DJI to get the patch fixed immediately!

UPDATE: Spent about an hour with DJI online help via chat. Not much help at this point but at least they posted the problem. I may go out and buy a cheap android device so I can stay airborne until the issue is resolved

Last edited:
I have similar weird intermittent new problems with iPad Pro 9.7" iOS 11.2.1. The SD card failed to reformat, GUI buttons didn't take images, MC and IMU settings blank. An old iPad mini 1 iOS 9 and iPhone 6 iOS 11.2.1 OK.

I noticed that I can bypass these intermittent issues with DJI GO and Litchi by disconnecting/reconnecting the Lightning cable. I first thought my SD card or the card reader were failing but now I suspect it is a problem with iPads running iOS 11.2.1.

FWIW, there is a current problem with iPads failing to sync Photos libraries from iTunes while iPhones are AFAIK OK. I've heard that problem might be related to iTunes, though.

SD card reformat intermittently fails

Last edited:
I have similar weird intermittent new problems with iPad Pro 9.7" iOS 11.2.1. The SD card failed to reformat, GUI buttons didn't take images, MC and IMU settings blank. An old iPad mini 1 iOS 9 and iPhone 6 iOS 11.2.1 OK.

I noticed that I can bypass these intermittent issues with DJI GO and Litchi by disconnecting/reconnecting the Lightning cable. I first thought my SD card or the card reader were failing but now I suspect it is a problem with iPads running iOS 11.2.1.

FWIW, there is a current problem with iPads failing to sync Photos libraries from iTunes while iPhones are AFAIK OK. I've heard that problem might be related to iTunes, though.

SD card reformat intermittently fails

That is good to know. Last night I went through every function of Go and either got a non-response or command timeout. I also tried to reformat the SD card and it failed. Interesting that my old iPhone 5 running iOS 10.33 still works with the app. It is definitely an issue related to the latest update. I did get a notice for another iOS update to 11.2.2. I tried it and it did not fix any issues.

Last edited:
Received an email from DJI support today. They acknowledged the issues with iOS 11.2.x for some users. I was assured they have programmers busy on a GO and GO4 update but no ETA on the delivery.

Reactions: matti

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4