DJI Go 4 Crashed in flight

Reaction score
I was about 2:12 into a flight yesterday when the Go 4 app closed itself -- just gone. I had to restart the Go 4 app and was then able to continue the flight without further issues. This is the second time this has happened with the previous event in early June. Again, I was flying along and the Go 4 app just closed with no warning but thankfully I was able to restart it. I did not panic and as soon as the Go app closed I took my hands off the sticks -- I was not near anything to worry about so if it had actually crashed the bird it's not likely to have done any damage except to the drone. I just glad that in both events I was not near anything dangerous and was able to reload the app and continue after about 40-60 seconds delay.

I'll see if I can post the video in a few days...

Brian

Yep, it happens if you've been around long enough. My Galaxy tablet was bad for it. Other times it got maybe 10-15 seconds behind in lag where I'd look at the drone from where it was on the screen and it was much further to one side than what the screen was showing me prior to it going off. I chalked it up to "Too slow a device" and moved on to the iPads (I'm not crazy about the $$$ move to Apple, but gotta try it.).

The iPads are better, but now mine are disconnecting a bit too for some reason. Even my new iPad Pro 10.5" with the A10X is breaking up the feed. Ridiculous, but it's DJI and I really don't think they care that much once it's buggered up with their bug-ridden software or firmware. Support is "Send it in" (and will send you someone elses drone with some other problem that you might not notice.).

Don't know what the answer is unless moving to a brand that is more reliable with better support or better radios. Best of luck.

Reactions: chrismatthewssr
What I have seen lately, is the app is actually in the background and you can bring it back up front. I found that for some reason, the right back button, was shrinking it every time you pressed it. Not sure it that might be what is happening.

yes it happened half dozen times to me this week (ipad mini 4) right after updating the ipad software so I re-installed GO4 and no more problems with the app just closing while in-flight............... (yet)...........

What I have seen lately, is the app is actually in the background and you can bring it back up front. I found that for some reason, the right back button, was shrinking it every time you pressed it. Not sure it that might be what is happening.

When flying the only thing I touch on the tablet is the 'tap-to-focus' and the camera settings -- I never touch the tablets home or back buttons -- NEVER!

Brian

yes it happened half dozen times to me this week (ipad mini 4) right after updating the ipad software so I re-installed GO4 and no more problems with the app just closing while in-flight............... (yet)...........

Well that argues that the Apple versus Android thing isn't the thing that matters most. I use an iPad Pro for my Inspire 1 Pro but a newer Samsung tablet for the P4P. I built rigs for both with a frame to hold the tablet AND RC as well as provide a hood. The frame for the I1Pro is larger than the one for the P4P.

When this first happened to me in June I was struggling to come back into a strong headwind and was barely able to manage 5-10mph with the right stick full forward so when the app closed I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get back before the battery ran out. The incident of a couple days ago was at the beginning of the flight and was therefore not so time critical.

Brian

It's sometimes hard to know if doing something fixes a problem if the problem stops after the change. It may be that reinstalling actually fixed the problem but it may be that the problem going away may just be a coincidence. Also, how can you know if reinstalling doesn't bork the system that was OK before hand. My suspicion is that DJI's programming is the problem and how and when the problem pops up is down to the nuances of the programming bug.

Brian

The iPads are better, but now mine are disconnecting a bit too for some reason. Even my new iPad Pro 10.5" with the A10X is breaking up the feed. Ridiculous, but it's DJI and I really don't think they care that much once it's buggered up with their bug-ridden software or firmware.
Double check that your iPad wifi is turned off if you're flying with Lightbridge set to the 2.4Ghz band. I've seen iPad wifi break up the video feed (green screen garbage) as the wifi hunts for an access point, continually pinging every channel in the 2.4Ghz band in an effort to connect to something. If you fly using 5.8Ghz band the interference goes away, or if you turn off your iPad Wifi, the interference goes away. This happens at any range.

If the iPad wifi is connected to an access point (such as your phone hot spot) so it isn't hunting, that should work OK if flying on AUTO channel, but I would fly the craft using 5.8Ghz band to be more immune from interference from any source.

Last edited:
Please could I ask for help/clarification on this matter? When it happened to me yesterday, the drone was very close. I landed, switched everything off and restarted.

In a more challenging situation, would it be best to turn off the remote controller mid-flight and restart it - i.e. rebooting the Go 4 app? (We use the Pro+.)

Please could I ask for help/clarification on this matter? When it happened to me yesterday, the drone was very close. I landed, switched everything off and restarted.

In a more challenging situation, would it be best to turn off the remote controller mid-flight and restart it - i.e. rebooting the Go 4 app? (We use the Pro+.)
I would say no. If you turn off the RC the craft goes into RTH, which is undesired. There is a way to reboot the app without shutting off the RC, but I forget how, as I don't use the + RC. I think @msinger knows, he knows everything!

FYI, there is a similar thread running in the “control” area of the forum.

On my second session with my P4P, using an iPad, I had issues with the DJI Go 4 app closing. Fortunately, every time I restarted the app it immediately reconnected, so I was able to get home safely. What I discovered as I went through things later, was that I’d neglected to turn off the Bluetooth or WiFi on the iPad... I’ve flown twice since without further issues.

Reactions: Technical Bob
FYI, there is a similar thread running in the “control” area of the forum.

On my second session with my P4P, using an iPad, I had issues with the DJI Go 4 app closing. Fortunately, every time I restarted the app it immediately reconnected, so I was able to get home safely. What I discovered as I went through things later, was that I’d neglected to turn off the Bluetooth or WiFi on the iPad... I’ve flown twice since without further issues.

Blutooth or wifi MAY have an effect and turning it off is probably a good idea, but I doubt that's the problem. DJI are not the best coders in the world and if there's a way to accidentally create a bug DJI will find a way to do it. Honestly, as much of a lead as DJI has in hardware they are ripe for the pickings with software and if DJI wants to remain the undisputed leader they better get there coding act together and fast. Perhaps they need to partner with some big silicon valley types. Either that or maybe some of the top coders working under the control of the state to spy on the rest of the world can be moved to DJI to improve there game.

Brian

Blutooth or wifi MAY have an effect and turning it off is probably a good idea, but I doubt that's the problem.
I'm not sure if WiFi or Bluetooth would crash the Go4 app, however I can guarantee you that an iPad Wifi will breakup video into garbled greenscreens if you're flying a P4P on 2.4Ghz band. If the iPad Wifi is on and not connected to an access point, it will hunt for an access point and ping every channel in the 2.4Ghz band. Since it's so close to the Lightbridge antenna that receives video from the craft, the iPad wifi will overpower the weaker Lightbridge signal from the craft. This interference will make your flight miserable with greenscreen garbage. However, if you fly on 5.8Ghz this doesn't happen with iPad WiFi on, or if you simply turn off the iPad WiFi, then flying on 2.4Ghz is flawless. Frankly I recommend flying 5.8Ghz, I get much better range, especially in urban areas where 2.4Ghz interference is more prevalent.

Mine crashes at least once per flight with my phantom 4 advanced on the samsung s8. Might be because it doesn't have the usual 16:9 screen but I have no idea. Super annoying for a $1300 drone. Also very frustrating considering that I lose remote controller connection only 1500 feet away...

Newbie P4P owner here who has yet to take his first flight. I've read in several places on this forum now about how iPad wifi can interfere with GO 4 operation and I have a question. I will be running my 5th generation iPad which has cellular and wifi connection, which will be running on cellular service when I'm out an about with the drone and away from a wifi signal. Am I correct in assuming that I will be fine even if I forget to turn off wifi since the iPad would be running on cell service?

Mine crashes at least once per flight with my phantom 4 advanced on the samsung s8. Might be because it doesn't have the usual 16:9 screen but I have no idea. Super annoying for a $1300 drone. Also very frustrating considering that I lose remote controller connection only 1500 feet away...
Use an iPad and you'll be happier. S8 isn't on the approved list, although I know of others using them OK. The P4A uses the GL300C remote, which is inherently weak. The best way to get some distance using that RC is:
1. Always have LOS connection, no trees, buildings or mountain in the way.
2. Choose a channel with least traffic, using the HD icon page.
3. On the HD icon page, set your radio to a custom channel, usually ch1 or 20 are good channels with least traffic
4. Set the transmission quality to 4mbps
5. Use a windsurfer on the antennas

Optionally you can buy an antenna upgrade, I recommend DBS2 from MAXXUAV.com. That should get you out a couple miles. To go even farther you can buy booster amps, but that's kinda bulky and a hassle to charge up booster batteries every flight day.

You should have bought the P4P with 5.8Ghz. That craft has a 4+mile range, no problem. It's pretty awesome, so if it's not too late to return your P4A, do it, and get the P4P.

Last edited:
I will say that there have been times in the past that I have had apps just shut down without warning. Using iPads and iPhones. One of the things that I have found to be a cure is to sync the item to the laptop and then it seems to work fine. I had the Litchi and Go 4 app close on me this last week and it seemed to be for no reason. I went back into my office and even tried to use it in there without having the P4P in the air. The app would die. I synced the iPad and then it was no longer crashing. No flights today due to time.

I will say that there have been times in the past that I have had apps just shut down without warning. Using iPads and iPhones. One of the things that I have found to be a cure is to sync the item to the laptop and then it seems to work fine. I had the Litchi and Go 4 app close on me this last week and it seemed to be for no reason. I went back into my office and even tried to use it in there without having the P4P in the air. The app would die. I synced the iPad and then it was no longer crashing. No flights today due to time.
Have you checked the amount of available memory you have in your iPad? Sounds like you may be running low.

Reactions: DMcNamara
Memory isnt a problem at all. I have over 50 gig available. It is very limited to the times this ever happens. Again the simple sync takes care of the issue. So memory isnt a big deal. I will be getting a new iPhone 8 plus for work and it will be the 256G so we will see how that one works as well. I often have to say that there is something to be said for a sync once and a while and to shut down and restart the item every now and then. Thanks for the input on this though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20