DJI files lawsuit against Yuneec over Typhoon H

Reaction score
You could be waiting awhile for your Typhoon H. DJI is doing what it can to stop the sale of the Typhoon H. Here is the text:

"When Yuneec unveiled its Typhoon H drones at CES earlier this year, we called it the first major contender for DJI's crown. Now DJI, the world's most successful consumer drone maker, has filed a lawsuit in California claiming Yuneec has infringed on two of its patents. The claim centers on "systems and methods for target tracking," and an "interchangeable mounting platform." DJI is asking the court for injunctive relief to halt the further sale of the infringing Yuneec products and systems. DJI is being represented by the law firm of Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich & Rosati."

Here is the link: DJI files patent lawsuit against Yuneec, starting drone industry's first major legal fight

Reactions: chrismatthewssr
This is bad for the drone industry. As commercial & hobby drones become popular we may soon see everyone filing lawsuits against each other & not just DJI and Yuneec. Toss in all the other drone manufactures. Drones tend to all do similar things & technology (hardware & software) will be similar. This may turn into the same crazy lawsuit world that we saw with cellphone manufacturers. The little startup guy is not going to have much of a chance.

..... If only it were an April Fools day joke. Sadly not.

Reactions: Numone and Lurk
dji will be suing altel x star next
upload_2016-4-1_16-12-3.png

Ahh, I see Ripoff has replaced Cheatem.

I wonder why DJI don't sue Cheerson over their cx-20. Cx-30? Talk about rip off design

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

And yes, I own DJI products, Just despise companies that want to be monopolies and slow down technology. Hey DJI are you mad I pre ordered a "H"?

The timing seems perfect for DJI. Retailers can now sell the P4. DJI does not want another drone at $100 less to sit on a shelf beside the P4. If they can slow down Yuncee for a month or so, they will.

All of us own DJI drones on this forum, but with DJI trying to stomp out the competition we are the ones who will lose in the long run.

Or... as I've read on another forum... this could backfire for DJI in a big way. If they lose, then it's open season on using similar technology with no regard for infringement by all manufacturers.

No idea who has what in their portfolio but I can't help but think DJI is heading into dangerous territory. They're basically taking on Intel who are no stranger to intellectual property pursuits.

Bottom line is it will be very difficult to delay the Yuneec. Look at Apple v Samsung as precedent.

The timing seems perfect for DJI. Retailers can now sell the P4. DJI does not want another drone at $100 less to sit on a shelf beside the P4. If they can slow down Yuncee for a month or so, they will.

All of us own DJI drones on this forum, but with DJI trying to stomp out the competition we are the ones who will lose in the long run.

Or... as I've read on another forum... this could backfire for DJI in a big way. If they lose, then it's open season on using similar technology with no regard for infringement by all manufacturers.
Hope it does backfire for "OUR" benefit ! Wang has enough APPLES in his bag!

This is how capitalism works. Why is this a surprise? It's not big deal and happens all the time. Companies are obligated to their shareholders to do so.

Lol....DJI basically sued themselves back in 2014 after DJI China tried to force DJI North America out.

"DJI North America and its minority owner brought claims against DJI China for Breach of Fiduciary Duty and Minority Owner Oppression."

Reactions: PROJEFFREY11
dji will be suing altel x star nextView attachment 49170

holy cow.. this is the exact copy of phantom 3 haha, no shame at all! if i were DJI i would be pissed.

About the Product
  • 4K (Ultra HD), 12-MP camera on a quick-release 3-axis gimbal
  • HD Live View (720p streaming up to 1.2 miles away) and autonomous flight modes including follow, orbit, and waypoints via the free Starlink app for iOS or Android (mobile device sold separately)
  • Dual GPS/GLONASS outdoor navigation, Securely magnetic interference protection, and the Star point Positioning System for precise flying where GPS signals are unavailable
  • Intuitive remote controller with LCD screen for flight information and one-touch buttons for starting the motors, takeoff/landing, hover/pause, and going home
  • Included accessories: Premium hard case, 64-GB MicroSD card that can record over 2 hours of 4K video, intelligent battery for up to 25 minutes of flying time per charge, a 1.5-hour fast charger, spare propellers and small parts

It may not delay the release of the H. The judge has to grant the injunction to stop Yuneec from selling the H.. Just filing the suit won't halt sales from moving forward.

Doubt that will happen. It's like the old Apple vs. Microsoft suits....

As a consumer and looking for my next Quad, I think it would suck to not have another decent choice.. Lack of competition would breed complacency for DJI. Why would they have to improve their product to include customer service if they were the only game in town..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.