DJI F550

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

After flying a few hours with the DJI Phantom I want to upgrade to a F550. The guy who sells them here in Mexico told me that there is no way to have the 3 mode GPS / Atti / Manual as qell as CL and HL. He said to me that there is only GPS and Atti as well as HL mode on the WFLY remote control and if I want the original mode like the DJI Phantom I have to upgrade to another remote control from Futaba or whatever.

Those who have a DJI F550 RTF bought from DJI, what is your opinion ?

rsfoto said:
Hi Guys,

After flying a few hours with the DJI Phantom I want to upgrade to a F550. The guy who sells them here in Mexico told me that there is no way to have the 3 mode GPS / Atti / Manual as qell as CL and HL. He said to me that there is only GPS and Atti as well as HL mode on the WFLY remote control and if I want the original mode like the DJI Phantom I have to upgrade to another remote control from Futaba or whatever.

The F550 can have GPS mode and will fly pretty much like the Phantom as long as it has a Naza installed. You will need to get something like a Futaba reciever transmitter if you buy an F550, they are a kit more than a ready to fly aircraft. The F550 is not really something you migrate to using parts from the Phantom. You should probably buy one that is almost ready to fly (ARF). If you get one that does not have a GPS puck you can get them on Ebay from about $120-$170.

I am almost done building my F550.

I built an F550 Flame Wheel with a Naza-M with GPS using a Futaba T8J transmitter and the receiver that came with the transmitter.

It has the exact same functionality as the Phantom. IOC, GPS/Attitude/Manual and Failsafe/Homing. No difference except that it's a hex-copter instead of a quad.

I'm not aware of a ready-to-fly (RTF) kit, but maybe there's one somewhere.

rsfoto said:
The guy who sells them here in Mexico told me that there is no way to have the 3 mode GPS / Atti / Manual as qell as CL and HL. He said to me that there is only GPS and Atti as well as HL mode on the WFLY remote control and if I want the original mode like the DJI Phantom I have to upgrade to another remote control from Futaba or whatever.

I'm not sure what a WFLY remote is, but it is entirely possible to use a Phantom Tx with a F550, if you use a NAZA along with a Phantom Rx. (both can come from a Phantom). A number of people have done so.
But a better Tx like a Futaba or similar is a better choice.

But those are about the only things you'd want to transfer over to a F550, as you'll def need a new GPS puck, and probably want to go with 30A ESC's, and then you'd have to add bullet connectors to the original Phantom motors to connect.

WFLY is a Chinese radio system. Really bare bones, but they work. I use them in my RC Subs and they're just fine. That having been said, I don't know that I'd trust them handling a couple thousand bucks of flying gear. At least my subs just float to the surface if my radio fails...

Www.rc- sub.com

miskatonic said:
rsfoto said:
Hi Guys,

The F550 can have GPS mode and will fly pretty much like the Phantom as long as it has a Naza installed. You will need to get something like a Futaba reciever transmitter if you buy an F550, they are a kit more than a ready to fly aircraft. The F550 is not really something you migrate to using parts from the Phantom. You should probably buy one that is almost ready to fly (ARF). If you get one that does not have a GPS puck you can get them on Ebay from about $120-$170.

I am almost done building my F550.

Thanks all for your comments. Well the complete F550 is assembled and I am just waiting to get my Futaba T8J in order to configure it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl