DJI Assistant 2 has virus

Not what I expected from a reputable company. Seems DJI can't be trusted!!

Was trying to calibrate vision system after receiving warnings on DJI Go 4. Also Phantom 4 losing altitude regularly. After 4th failed attempt to calibrate, decided to upgrade DJI Assistant 2 from V2+1.1.2_2 to V2+1.2.0 to see if upgrade would work better.

After install, Norton discovers a virus. Thanks DJI!!!

Some anti virus software contain what is called heuristics or heuristic definitions to identify possible viruses and malware. It's a proactive approach to protecting your computer and Norton/Symantec does have this. If a program has a "virus like" appearance, it will be tagged. You need to go into the AV program and authorize it.

Reactions: BigAl07
My apologies for my post about NS reporting this file as being safe. It did indeed say that for the download, but once I installed it and then executed it, Norton reported the same thing as previously reported: Trojan.Gen.2 contained in visionstarter.exe.

I generally get those caught on download but will be more thorough in the future.

Well, I downloaded mine from DJI, so that I could update my RE goggles. Now I wonder, is there a virus in the goggles? There was definitely a virus (Trojan) in the file that I downloaded from DJI's site.

With a new computer the first thing I do is uninstall the trial version of Norton AV. It creates many problems and there are alternative products that are as effective and yet do not interfere with the operation of software, such as Comodo.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I use only Microsoft Essentials, so not Norton. This showed the first time I scanned, after reading this thread. I removed it, but have not uninstalled the DJI Assit 2, may need it. But I think I will log onto DJI and tell them what I think.:eek:

Interesting. I’d submit the file to your AV provider (and DJI) and have them verify. If it is indeed infected, DJI will want to address asap.

When the anti virus names it, tells exactly what it is and the danger, I think it is a real threat. This one made it possible to hack and control a computer, not a great thing.

I think just posting this on their own support site, should bring a little attention.

If you pop "visionstarter.exe" into Google you'll quickly find it has already been mentioned on DJI's forum and a few other places as well.

Doesn't hurt to run it by DJI though. I've learned to have little trust in computer programmers.

Whatever you do, don’t question it publicly if it was hacked and modified by a Russian source. You’ll get crucified. (I’m KIDDING BTW). On one of these forums I brought up security/wisdom when using a modified/reengineered piece of software just as a precaution and you’d think I insulted the Pope. ;)

Not what I expected from a reputable company. Seems DJI can't be trusted!!

Was trying to calibrate vision system after receiving warnings on DJI Go 4. Also Phantom 4 losing altitude regularly. After 4th failed attempt to calibrate, decided to upgrade DJI Assistant 2 from V2+1.1.2_2 to V2+1.2.0 to see if upgrade would work better.

After install, Norton discovers a virus. Thanks DJI!!!

I use to have high regards for Norton, but since they outsourced their tech support to some other countries, a lot of problems arose. One foreign tech support even tried to sell me they’re own virus protection and told me that the virus needs a special software, so I just told the guy to [Language Removed] and cancelled my Symantec subscriptions. Now I switched to Mac and I’m happy with no worries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to have high regards for Norton, but since they outsourced their tech support to some other countries, a lot of problems arose. One foreign tech support even tried to sell me they’re own virus protection and told me that the virus needs a special software, so I just told the guy to f***k o** and cancelled my Symantec subscriptions. Now I switched to Mac and I’m happy with no worries.

Just don’t get over confident that a Mac will have no worries. Plenty of Trojans and viruses for OSX platform too. Been using Macs and PC’s for years... The number will likely never be equal anytime soon, but there are definitely a fair share of nasty ones for OSX too. My day job is in ITSec...we have to deal with them every day.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164