DJI Aeroscope aproduct that provides people with your private information

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
DJI has released DJI AEROSCOPE
This is a device that accesses the encrypted video link from any dji product and displays the registered users private information as well as flight history, location and more!

This is actually ridiculous, just watch how quickly people are going to start abandoning DJI if they care about their privacy at all.

Reactions: KentA
This is a device that accesses the encrypted video link from any dji product and displays the registered users private information as well as flight history, location and more!

This is actually ridiculous, just watch how quickly people are going to start abandoning DJI if they care about their privacy at all.
Old news ... this came out a while back and there are several threads about it already.
What's ridiculous is the alarmist nature of your post.
Look into the actual details of Aeroscope and you find this:
AeroScope uses the existing communications link between a drone and its remote controller to broadcast identification information such as a registration or serial number, as well as basic telemetry, including location, altitude, speed and direction.
Police, security agencies, aviation authorities and other authorized parties can use an AeroScope receiver to monitor, analyze and act on that information.
It can only be used by law enforcement authorities that have the hardware and it will only work in the vicinity of the detector unit when it is turned on.
It's about as intrusive as this: Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!
But is only small scale and will only be used in some local areas.
What do you see to be alarmed about with it?

Reactions: sar104 and BigAl07
We need a ‘Dislike’ button.

I just don't understand sometimes how people can't see the forest for the trees.

We, as an industry, want to be considered "Big Boys" and we want to play in the arena with the Big Boys (called National Airspace System) but when we get "Big Boy" rules tossed our way we want to resort back to "that's not for us... we're only our here having fun and playing".

The "Big Boys" (aka manned aircraft) have some rules they are required to abide by... One of them is if you're going to fly in CONTROLLED airspace you have to have an operational and transmitting transponder. This gives pretty much the same information as the AEROSCOPE will also be acquiring.

If we want to fly our manned aircraft out the middle of no where we can do so without transmitting our transponder information to ATC but if we want to play anywhere near an ATC facility we are required to broadcast. Why is the same set of rules not acceptable for UAS?

I see no problem with this and I actually welcome this to our arena.

Old news ... this came out a while back and there are several threads about it already.
What's ridiculous is the alarmist nature of your post.
Look into the actual details of Aeroscope and you find this:
AeroScope uses the existing communications link between a drone and its remote controller to broadcast identification information such as a registration or serial number, as well as basic telemetry, including location, altitude, speed and direction.
Police, security agencies, aviation authorities and other authorized parties can use an AeroScope receiver to monitor, analyze and act on that information.
It can only be used by law enforcement authorities that have the hardware and it will only work in the vicinity of the detector unit when it is turned on.
It's about as intrusive as this: Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!
But is only small scale and will only be used in some local areas.
What do you see to be alarmed about with it?

explain how they have access to our emails and flight history from before connecting?

The libertarian in me hates this. But I'm not at all surprised... par for the course. But it also wouldn't surprise me though if any info gathered this way was tossed out in court in an actual case because of the fourth amendment.

I just don't understand sometimes how people can't see the forest for the trees.

We, as an industry, want to be considered "Big Boys" and we want to play in the arena with the Big Boys (called National Airspace System) but when we get "Big Boy" rules tossed our way we want to resort back to "that's not for us... we're only our here having fun and playing".

The "Big Boys" (aka manned aircraft) have some rules they are required to abide by... One of them is if you're going to fly in CONTROLLED airspace you have to have an operational and transmitting transponder. This gives pretty much the same information as the AEROSCOPE will also be acquiring.

If we want to fly our manned aircraft out the middle of no where we can do so without transmitting our transponder information to ATC but if we want to play anywhere near an ATC facility we are required to broadcast. Why is the same set of rules not acceptable for UAS?

The issue is this provides private information to anyone who owns the system (which is not only being sold to law enforcement) .
Would you be ok if the manufacturer of your vehicle release a tracking system anyone could buy that told them exactly where you are and where you have been since you started the vehicle as well as you individually identifiable information?

Would you be ok if the manufacturer of your vehicle release a tracking system anyone could buy that told them exactly where you are and where you have been since you started the vehicle as well as you individually identifiable information?

explain how they have access to our emails and flight history from before connecting?

if you watch the video I linked, they explain some of the information this device retrieves and displays...
If you actually research the device you will find out it contains all the necessary hardware and software to override your aircraft or tap into its video feed but it is not enabled to consumers...for now.
It does, however, query the aircraft for its flight history from takeoff.
You put up such an obnoxious reply to my initial post and you have not even bothered to research the thing you are chastising me for.
You need to sit down and be quiet because you clearly know nothing about this system.

Last edited:
I did... We need a ‘Dislike’ button

Easy now.. .this is going from commenting on a topic to personal attacks.... The latter will NOT be tolerated.

This is the only warning you'll get about this.

LOL seriously? Have you heard of a GPS/Navigation system? A band of bank robbers were recently captured here in my area because their car had a Navigation system in it. By gathering the data they from it they were able to know where they were living, tie them to each bank robbery, and even get some locations they had no idea this gang was part of. Technology is a wonderful thing unless you're doing something wrong.

You'd be hard pressed to buy any vehicle made in the last few years that doesn't have an extensive GPS tracking system built right in.

In terms of flight history this is no different to the radar track records that ATC maintain for aircraft. If what you are really saying is that you object to anyone being able to detect that you are flying and identify the aircraft then that’s just too bad. As noted many times, if you want to fly in the NAS then you have to accept that it is monitored, at least in busy areas.

And the system can detect the email address that you registered with - it cannot read your emails. That’s considerably less information than is publicly available if you look up the tail number of an aircraft.

LOL seriously? Have you heard of a GPS/Navigation system? A band of bank robbers were recently captured here in my area because their car had a Navigation system in it. By gathering the data they from it they were able to know where they were living, tie them to each bank robbery, and even get some locations they had no idea this gang was part of. Technology is a wonderful thing unless you're doing something wrong.

You'd be hard pressed to buy any vehicle made in the last few years that doesn't have an extensive GPS tracking system built right in.
Whats your point??
I asked if you were comfortable with individuals owning a box that gives them live telemetry of your vehicle, this can include its location, its past locations , speed, what radio you are listening to etc
I didn't ask you to find one situation that is actually nothing like the situation I was describing....

Whats your point??
I asked if you were comfortable with individuals owning a box that gives them live telemetry of your vehicle, this can include its location, its past locations , speed, what radio you are listening to etc
I didn't ask you to find one situation that is actually nothing like the situation I was describing....

So, just like the information available for manned aircraft then: track and identity.

Reactions: BigAl07
In terms of flight history this is no different to the radar track records that ATC maintain for aircraft. If what you are really saying is that you object to anyone being able to detect that you are flying and identify the aircraft then that’s just too bad. As noted many times, if you want to fly in the NAS then you have to accept that it is monitored, at least in busy areas.

And the system can detect the email address that you registered with - it cannot read your emails. That’s considerably less information that is publicly available if you look up the tail number of an aircraft.

Well, it is not the same really because no one agreed to this for the first part...
No one asked me if I would be comfortable with others knowing my private contact information.
Also, I do not have to accept it, this system did not exist or was no publically known when I purchased my product, nor is it a legal standpoint that this system should be in operation unlike radar in full-sized aviation.
I object to DJI essentially selling anyone information that is in the vicinity of this device.

Reactions: Jeff48

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31