DJI 3 Pro Height Limit

This. Even 400 feet up can represent a dramatic change in wind speed and direction, so if you're going above it* be real careful about letting it drift too far away. You might even consider one plain vertical ascent flight to check drift, and then a fresh battery for flying around. (I hope future Phantoms add some kind of airspeed measurement on the craft itself, but that's going to be complicated.)

* the wisdom of doing so is left as an exercise for the reader

You can add a wind speed sensor!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I hope future Phantoms add some kind of airspeed measurement on the craft itself, but that's going to be complicated.
Apart from the weight and expense, providing true wind data would probably be more confusing than useful to many flyers.
You can tell if the wind is strong and you can tell what direction it's going without any instruments.
You can test your Phantom in atti to see if it drifts and what direction and what speed.
If you are flying at full speed and the Phantom is only making 5 m/sec, you can tell a lot about the wind it's fighting.

(I hope future Phantoms add some kind of airspeed measurement on the craft itself, but that's going to be complicated.)

P3P, switch to ATTI mode you'll get a good estimated wind speed and direction. Then switch back to P-GPS. It would be nice in a future update to get this information without the flip-flip to ATTI Mode.

Apart from the weight and expense, providing true wind data would probably be more confusing than useful to many flyers.
You can tell if the wind is strong and you can tell what direction it's going without any instruments.
You can test your Phantom in atti to see if it drifts and what direction and what speed.
If you are flying at full speed and the Phantom is only making 5 m/sec, you can tell a lot about the wind it's fighting.
Healthy drones calculates a wind speed and direction. Not sure how accurate it is, but at least it can be done with currently on board sensors. I agree that it would probably confuse people though.

You can keep below 400 feet above the ground while going over 500 meters from your launch point by flying over mountains. Using older firmware (1.3.2) and older Litchi (2.3.1) I do fly over the 500m limit with my P3. But I see no point unless doing something like the video below where I went over 2800 feet up (853 meters) and almost 2 miles out.

What would happpen if one of you high fliers cut prop power at altitude and let AC free fall then restart props? Is that even possible?

What would happen if one of you high fliers cut prop power at altitude and let AC free fall then restart props? Is that even possible?
It has been done with a P2 but it needed a lot of height to recover.
The P3 might or might not do it.
So far there are no reports of anyone doing it successfully with a P3.

Given the P3's acceleration and drag characteristics, I honestly don't think 500 meters is high enough to allow a) performing a CSC shutdown, b) waiting to confirm the craft shut down, c) restarting the motors, and d) generating enough lift to overcome what will almost surely be something close to terminal velocity before, well, splat.

Why do some people think they're entitled to fly about the 400 ft limit that the FAA has set up, all it will take to have drones banned is one accident. And don't think that won't happen. There are always people ruining things for the rest of us who follow the rules.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
[emoji22][emoji22][emoji22]

What would happpen if one of you high fliers cut prop power at altitude and let AC free fall then restart props? Is that even possible?
Stop blade auto rotations. That would take ballz. I've seen them, from way high up (2000') and they can be disastrous, but you're the man if you can pull it off. 50% of the time, the helicopter doesn't recover, and splat of a $3000 ship. Mostly the pro's, who are sponsored and may not have as much in to their machines as a privateer. They were definitely above 400'. I've done thousands of autos, but never had the stones to try a stop blade, or even a slow blade auto. I prefer to keep my head speed in the sweet spot.

The P3 would have to have enough power to overcome the fall speed. The flight controller would have to be good enough to overcome the death wobble that would occur without the gyroscopic stability created by the four propellers. If the P3 started to tumble, I imagine all chances of recovery would be lost. Maybe, the upward rushing air would spin the props backwards and create some stability and drag, like a parachute. Hard to predict. It would be cool to see, but i'm not volunteering to be the guinea pig.;)

SD

I managed to hit 1452 ft on the South Downs before I hit the height limit of signal, I wouldn't recommend this as the wind did have affect.

Maintaining full control of the aircraft is critical when pushing the limit (anytime it is flying actually). Intentionally cutting power just to see if it was possible to recover in time is totally reckless and I would bet would end up with the P3 hitting the ground at terminal velocity.

I know I know .. some will think i'm naughty for asking ;) .. Does anyone know if it's possible to by-pass the height restriction?.

Here in the UK my drone is limited to 400ft which is a measly 120m. This is quite high but doesn't give me the flexibility I'd like.

Most websites i've read say the limit is 500m which is 1600ft .. I'd be happy with that .. is 500m a US limit ?

Thanks in advance

I believe many people know the little trick you can use to go higher beyond the 500m mark [emoji6]
Wouldn't particularly recommend it though

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair