Dji 2.4 datalink ground station / phantom 2 / iPad & updates

Reaction score
So who's been flying there phantom 2 with the 2.4 datalink now all updates are out & how you all finding it so far everything doing what it should as the new apple update has been released today ???

Let's here your views & hopefully some good news as I am waiting to update all mine to latest firmware

Re: Dji 2.4 datalink ground station / phantom 2 / iPad & upd

First flight

Auto take off to 5m and joystick control worked. Then flew out using single waypoint.

GS lost connection at 400m out - not sure what P2 was doing, think it just hovered there as no reference on iPad.

Lucky I managed just to still see through Fatsharks and took back control quickly via P2 controller and flew back - when back in range, iPad automatically re-connected and I switched back to using the iPad for control again and tried a return to home and auto landing which worked great.

Not sure why I lost signal as my P2 stock controller could still control it. Signal strength must be weaker with GS?

To be fair I was only 40m up and 400m out so maybe the garden tree got in the way??

Anyway my first flight - and P2 back safe. Look forward to hearing other stories.

aoatley said:
Signal strength must be weaker with GS?

Once you upload the mission to the Phantom and start flying it, the GS doesn't have to stay linked so its signal range at that point is a non-factor. Even if the link is broken during the mission, the Phantom should just keep right on following it.

OI Photography said:
aoatley said:

Once you upload the mission to the Phantom and start flying it, the GS doesn't have to stay linked so its signal range at that point is a non-factor. Even if the link is broken during the mission, the Phantom should just keep right on following it.

Thanks - issue being I set a single waypoint 1km away (probably as being my first GS flight newbie) and then lost connection, with no view of it on iPad - so I (we all) must make sure to do a round trip if that is the case otherwise you have no idea where your Phantom is for a while. Or just do not do a single that far away otherwise time to hope and pray.

Lesson learnt for me.

aoatley said:
OI Photography said:
aoatley said:

Thanks - issue being I set a single waypoint 1km away (probably as being my first GS flight newbie) and then lost connection, with no view of it on iPad - so I (we all) must make sure to do a round trip if that is the case otherwise you have no idea where your Phantom is for a while. Or just do not do a single that far away otherwise time to hope and pray.

Exactly. Another tip to keep in mind is that it's usually best to set your first waypoint directly above your launch point at some height close to the target height of your first waypoint downrange...otherwise the Phantom will gradually climb to that downrange waypoint's height as it flies towards it after launch, and may encounter unexpected obstacles along that diagonal path.

Thanks

Can anyone help on the placement of the GS antenna for air end on Phantom?

I currently have the antenna facing out the back both downward - is this the best method or I see that they should be 90 degree from one another in the manual - that is slightly unclear. Anyone got any pics?

That seems to be the most popular option (1 antenna lead going straight down the back of each leg), and has worked fine for several people. You might get slightly optimized reception in some orientations if you have one lead at 90deg from the other (like running down the side of the body), but it probably won't make a huge difference. I probably wouldn't mess with it unless you find your range is less than expected.

aoatley said:
Thanks

Can anyone help on the placement of the GS antenna for air end on Phantom?

I currently have the antenna facing out the back both downward - is this the best method or I see that they should be 90 degree from one another in the manual - that is slightly unclear. Anyone got any pics?

I have mine facing rearward and out towards each leg. Works fine and I had mine out 1300 meters recently no issues.

Keep in mind too that the range of the GS Data Link is mostly pointless after you upload the mission and start to execute it, unless you need to make changes to the flight plan mid-mission.

OI Photography said:
Keep in mind too that the range of the GS Data Link is mostly pointless after you upload the mission and start to execute it, unless you need to make changes to the flight plan mid-mission.

Yeh, thanks - I feel more comfortable though if I can still see a dot on the iPad if I am BVR. ;)

Think maybe earlier today other WiFi was interfering hence the range issue - I need to go more rural.

If it helps anybody, here's DJI's official specs on the 2.4GHz and 900MHz versions of the Data Link for the Groundstation:
Jty9F2El.jpg

Tx power for the 2.4GHz model most people are using is listed at 130mW...but they state it has 3k range or more in optimal outdoor locations.

I downloaded the latest version of the App and installed it on my iPad. I thought their was a "Simulation Mode" Guess not?

FASTFJR said:
I downloaded the latest version of the App and installed it on my iPad. I thought their was a "Simulation Mode" Guess not?

There is, but you have to power everything up as you would for real flight. Shame as would be good to simulate in a fully offline mode.

aoatley said:
FASTFJR said:

There is, but you have to power everything up as you would for real flight. Shame as would be good to simulate in a fully offline mode.

Thats just stupid, I don't have the actually ground station. What good is a simulation if you have to buy everything first. If I had everything I wouldn't need to run a simulation :lol: :lol: :lol:

If it helps anybody, here's DJI's official specs on the 2.4GHz and 900MHz versions of the Data Link for the Groundstation:
Jty9F2El.jpg

Tx power for the 2.4GHz model most people are using is listed at 130mW...but they state it has 3k range or more in optimal outdoor locations.
I have both setups and the 900 is IMO the best only for P.C. Though.

You use both actually. The transmitter and multi-rotor are turned on the normal way the transmitter for the ground link is also on too. Using the iPad or laptop when linked to GS you can perform auto take off and landings. You want to have the main transmitter throttle in the mid position during the flight you can take control at anytime by cycling the mode switch.

It has been working flawlessly on an iPad mini 2 using iOS 8.4 I will not update to IOS 9 until I know it works I was told it crashes on 9 DJI said they are working on a fix. So if you have 8.4 it works if you Have 9 it crashes something to do with the Bluetooth connection I was told.

Is there an alternative to the DJI ground station app for IOS 9 that anyone has used and is comfortable with?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl