DJI 1038 10-inch Propeller Test

I don't see any good reason to go to a larger prop. I've seen video of prop tests and the larger props consume more battery. I doubt they make it fly any better either. As you add weight to it a stiffer prop may help with some stability, but there's no need to increase the size.

BadWolf said:
I don't see any good reason to go to a larger prop. I've seen video of prop tests and the larger props consume more battery. I doubt they make it fly any better either. As you add weight to it a stiffer prop may help with some stability, but there's no need to increase the size.

I put 9x4 Zingers on mine and it flies so much better. Better response with stiffer props, much stabler video(aka Jello-free)-(even more so than balanced stock 8" props). It is a little louder, but I'm not trying to sneak up on anyone!

BadWolf said:

A simple rule when increasing the size of the prop: longer prop, less pitch.
The limitation on the props size being used depends not only on the motor but the weight of the craft.
In many cases, heavier craft will benefit from larger props than smaller ones because they give better lift (more rotor disc) as long as the motor can handle the props.
Also the larger prop will turn at lower rpm, so the flight is smoother which is suitable for videography.
For the Phantom, the range will be from 8x4.5 up to 10x3.8 with proper modifications.

I bought 9" carbon fiber props from Aerial Media Pros, that are so nice ! Installed on my Phantom, they come right to
the edge of my Phantom case, any longer and they would interfere with the case closing.

The case I'm speaking of is not the one that can be seen elsewhere on this forum, it is from GoProfessional cases.

I wouldn't suggest cutting the ends of the props, bad things might happen especially if they were not perfectly balanced
afterwards.

tanasit said:
BadWolf said:

The limitation on the props size being used depends not only on the motor but the weight of the craft.
In many cases, heavier craft will benefit from larger props than smaller ones because they give better lift (more rotor disc) as long as the motor can handle the props.
Also the larger prop will turn at lower rpm, so the flight is smoother which is suitable for videography.
For the Phantom, the range will be from 8x4.5 up to 10x3.8 with proper modifications.

A larger diameter prop will still consume more battery. There's more mass to spin, and more drag. As long as the prop is stiff enough, and balanced video will be smooth.

BadWolf said:
tanasit said:
BadWolf said:

A larger diameter prop will still consume more battery. There's more mass to spin, and more drag. As long as the prop is stiff enough, and balanced video will be smooth.

RE: A larger diameter prop will still consume more battery.

Not true, it also depends on the pitch and total weight of the props and more importantly the design of the prop.
I tested 12 different props on my Phantom and the results proved that.

Prop time (min:sec.) sound (dB)
Stock 12:48 83
Graupner 12:40 84 adjust throttle a few times
GWS 13:39 83
MasterAS 8:33 84.5
APC 10x3.8 cuttip 13:54 84
Gemfan 9x4.7 14.06 86 stable, hold atti well
APC 9x4.5 oscillation!
FC 3-9x4.5 11:31 92 adjust throttle 2 times
FC 9x4.5 11:42 90 stable, hold atti well
Gemfan 9x4.7 14.22 86 stable, hold atti well Nano-Tech A-Spec 65-130C
Carbon 9x7 13.29 90 slight oscillation (reduce Pitch & roll to 80%)

Prop & weight in grams:

Stock White 8x4.5: 6.02; 6.05; 6.24; 6.26…………..….Average = 6.14
Stock Black 8x4.5: 6.46; 6.49; 6.51; 6.51………..….….Average = 6.49

Graupner 8x5: 8.59; 8.74; 8.77; 8.79………………….Average = 8.72

GWS 3-9x5: 10.08; 10.14; 10.39; 10.44……………….Average = 10.26

Gemfan Orange 9x4.7: 6.61; 6.68; 6.76; 6.92……….Average = 6.74
Gemfan Black 9x4.7: 8.12; 8.23; 8.93; 8.96………….Average = 8.56

FC 9x4.5: 9.39; 9.45; 9.49; 9.54………………………….Average = 9.46
FC 3-9x4.5: 12.97; 13.01; 13.59; 13.59……………….Average = 13.29

Carbon Fiber 9x4.7: 10.27; 11.15; 11.16; 11.23.…..Average = 10.95

Carbon 8x4.5 = 7 grams.

As you can see above, the 9x4.7 Gemfan at 6.7 g. delivered the longest flight time at 14:06 mins.
Note also that, it has been known for the airplane and power sail plane flyers that the larger prop with lesser pitch is more efficient than the smaller prop with higher pitch. That's why they use the geared motor so that they can spin as much larger prop as possible for the longest possible flight time.
However, with the Phantom we have 2 limited factors for choosing the prop:
1. The diameter is limited to about 9.5" otherwise the tips will hit each other. This is typical 330 size.
2. The requires rpm to achieve the control which depends solely on the "SPEED" rotation of each motor. Too large prop will turn at lower speed thus the control will feel mushy but you will get better lift though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers