DIY Antenna Modification - RANGE TEST (14,180 FEET) with DJI Phantom 3 Standard

I pulled a flight of mine off of healthydrones and got someone else's flight info this morning. The same name had come up as associated with my P3S under DJI Go, but was able to delete the other guy from my logs. Now it comes up under Litchi on my tablet? I can't blame Litchi though as it began with DJI Go.

Ok, so I did the mod. Went easy enough, except I could not get the 5.8 connector to be tight in the old antenna hole. I drilled a hole in the top half, just above the stock antenna mount, and ran the cable there. Now it is firm. Did a test flight, and got to a mile. That's up from about a half mile that I normally get, not great, but better. The odd thing is once I landed, I pulled my Healthy Drones log, and got this:

For one thing, the Plane Name is incorrect, and the other, well, is the distance! Anyone seen anything like this? This is on Litchi BTW.

View attachment 77258
Is the map correct, is this the place your flew at ?

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

That is the log link. The odd things happen around point "O", where is switches to manual, and then it says I lost signal for 369 seconds!

It's weird because the flight seemed normal. I flew out far as I could before it lost signal, and initiated RTH.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
I gave you the link to the other log viewing site, that you could compare the two to see if it's duplicated there or it was just a healthy drones glitch. You could also go into the Go app and play back the flight log see if the error is duplicated there also.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

LOL. You smashed the world record for consumer grade drones. You must have one heck of a battery in that thing. Hahahaha.

Welp made if over 11000 ft today before i turned around. I will try and max it out soon

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-27-17-36-39.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-27-17-36-39.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 486
Well, I did another flight today, and everything seems fine in the log. I'm gonna look into that further though, it was quite odd!

Reactions: gobolts
does this mod still work as good as it did on february? just wondering because of the last DJI GO app update, thanks for the answer :D

Hey! Hate to be the guy that starts back up and old thread, but can anyone confirm this is still working how it used to amid the new firmware updates for the 3S? Thanks!

I recently did a 15,500 ft flight with my phantom 3 standard. I have the itelite dbs antenna though. I assume your asking if this still works with newer firmware due to concern about the firmware changing distance that is achievable.

I recently did a 15,500 ft flight with my phantom 3 standard. I have the itelite dbs antenna though. I assume your asking if this still works with newer firmware due to concern about the firmware changing distance that is achievable.
Thank you! I may try to run this. How much does the whole get up with the itelite cost? Same hole drilling?

I think dbs antenna was right at $100 if I remember correctly. Look on YouTube for dbs installation. There are a couple different ways to do it. It's super easy to do. These flights are under optimal conditions. I only get about half the distance in a city setting. All my best flights are in a rural area with no WiFi interference. Just fyi

If you have any questions pm me.

Greg

Or [email protected]

Last edited:
I think dbs antenna was right at $100 if I remember correctly. Look on YouTube for dbs installation. There are a couple different ways to do it. It's super easy to do. These flights are under optimal conditions. I only get about half the distance in a city setting. All my best flights are in a rural area with no WiFi interference. Just fyi

If you have any questions pm me.

Greg

Or [email protected]

All 3 antennas are the dbs ones? Or just the one 5.8?

Just for the record I did not remove the hardware (ARGTEC) just unscrew the two flat panels and the center Omni directional 7db and did a small modification with the angle of the medal frame that connects the ITELITE DBS PANEL so the original angle was preserved after attaching it the medal bar and snapping it in place it was a close fit but sturdy and I didn’t have to go back and take the RC apart again. So if I ever need to revert back or a newer and even better range systems surfaces I can easily remove and add. Works very good. So removing the hardware is only a option and my opinion saves the risk of having to renter your RC when you can connect everything with just a small angle modification of the Itelite DBS medal plate. For more info and a photo of the results. I’m willing to help save anyone some time without any signal or RC damage

Just for the record I did not remove the hardware (ARGTEC) just unscrew the two flat panels and the center Omni directional 7db and did a small modification with the angle of the medal frame that connects the ITELITE DBS PANEL so the original angle was preserved after attaching it the medal bar and snapping it in place it was a close fit but sturdy and I didn’t have to go back and take the RC apart again. So if I ever need to revert back or a newer and even better range systems surfaces I can easily remove and add. Works very good. So removing the hardware is only a option and my opinion saves the risk of having to renter your RC when you can connect everything with just a small angle modification of the Itelite DBS medal plate. For more info and a photo of the results. I’m willing to help save anyone some time without any signal or RC damage
Pictures would be great - thanks!
-Mark (longtime lurker)

Share more info looks really interesting.

Prior to this modification my Phantom 3 Standard using the stock antennas and I typically obtained flight distances of 1,600 to 2,000 feet.

The test flight above is with my newly modded controller. I reached 14,180 feet (over 2.6 miles) before I initiated the RTH feature.

Hello how you doing can you please take a moment and tell me how even half of these distances are possible even without mods ...when my Phantom 3 controller says signal weak at not even 300 feet? And other people are saying four digits without a mod :S thanks for your time

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor