DIY Antenna Modification - RANGE TEST (14,180 FEET) with DJI Phantom 3 Standard

Got a question for you all. These mods and Tx hack certainly voids the DJI warranty?

Modding the controller will void the warranty on the controller. You do not send the controller back when you get warranty work done on the Phantom itself, so no. It wouldn't certainly void that warranty.

Quick Question am i the only one that losses complete image on the screen when i hit RTH function at far distances

I'm not sure, but if it does happen, I have never noticed it. In most cases that I can recall, even if I get an RTH due to lost RC signal it will still show video unless I'm out of video range also.

OK so, I am impressed with these antennas 10,000 ft Test today with plenty more room. Battery was Getting low because i had done other test before this one so had to cut trip short. WOW! Thats all i can say .
0126171826a.jpg

Attachments

• 0126171826a.jpg
    0126171826a.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 556
Running Argtek mod with the Alfa antennas Magic power 5.3 at FCC 27dbm 1.07.09fw DJI Go app is 2.9.10 which i read others on this site had good reviews with also so i tried it and Love it.

Reactions: k9time and Sisco
It'd be cool if you could just buy the lower part of the ARGtek (I mean the kit, but minus antennas.)

I love this mod though. Glad someone was thinking outside the box.

How the hell do you get so far with that setup. I get only 6000 with the same alfas and an 11dbi! Maybe it was because it was damp misty day.

Edit: I was curious about your 10dbi 5ghz antenna vs my 11dbi, so ones in the post :)

Last edited:
It'd be cool if you could just buy the lower part of the ARGtek (I mean the kit, but minus antennas.)

I love this mod though. Glad someone was thinking outside the box.

It would be nice for people who do not want to cut and drill, but also keep in mind that the argtek adapter lengthens the cables a few inches, which could in theory lower the dbm a little. There are 3d printed adapters for the cheap 'argtek clones', so you could print one of those and then just buy 12 inch cables instead of 8 inch cables.

I always think outside the box and I have always been one for hacking things to make them better.

Glad my mod was a success and that everyone doing it is reporting 10,000+ feet. :)

Reactions: AllDubyas
How the hell do you get so far with that setup. I get only 6000 with the same alfas and an 11dbi! Maybe it was because it was damp misty day.

Edit: I was curious about your 10dbi 5ghz antenna vs my 11dbi, so ones in the post :)

Antenna quality varies. Not all designs are the same and just because something is labelled with a specific dBi, doesn't mean it really is.

With that said, is your 11dBi antenna directional or omni directional? Omni direction will not get the same distance as a directional antenna.

Rick

It would be nice for people who do not want to cut and drill, but also keep in mind that the argtek adapter lengthens the cables a few inches, which could in theory lower the dbm a little. There are 3d printed adapters for the cheap 'argtek clones', so you could print one of those and then just buy 12 inch cables instead of 8 inch cables.

I always think outside the box and I have always been one for hacking things to make them better.

Glad my mod was a success and that everyone doing it is reporting 10,000+ feet. :)

Someday I'll have a 3d printer. :)

I did try my 11 dbi omni antennas on this same day and was maxing out around 5000ft. And Also with original Directional Argtek Antennas Really wasn't much better. Then with the ones Sisco Suggested was where i saw good results. Now i did have to adjust the 2.4 ghz panels during flight but once i found the sweet spot i still had strong signal at 10,000 feet.

You guys should try the DIY 2.4ghz bird side antenna mod too. My control signal will drop down to nothing, but I'll still have 4 bars on the video transmission. Before that. I'd lose video first, then lose control a few hundred feet later.

Homemade dipole antennas for 2.4ghz

Reactions: Y2KGTA
You guys should try the DIY 2.4ghz bird side antenna mod too. My control signal will drop down to nothing, but I'll still have 4 bars on the video transmission. Before that. I'd lose video first, then lose control a few hundred feet later.

Homemade dipole antennas for 2.4ghz

I already have plans to do this. Already ordered cables and they arrived today. ;)

I'm in Australia so abit hard for me to order from where you suggested, but found the exact same on ebay, all parts inc the wires $72 inc postage. About to order now.

Thanks for your idea and posts

Reactions: Sisco
Matt i do want to try your mod too. I have been watching your progress. But i don't think i can make them myself so i might have to order the bazooka ones. witch are kinda pricey.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT