"Disconnected" to my P4P Using Litchi

Reaction score
I was flying around home. Battery got low so I brought it back. Powered everything down including the tablet. Put a 100% charged battery in. Started everything back up but Litchi says "Disconnected". What changed in 10 minutes? I tried powering everything down, back up, connecting and disconnecting the controller to the tablet and nothing changed. Still "Disconnected". Please, any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I was flying around home. Battery got low so I brought it back. Powered everything down including the tablet. Put a 100% charged battery in. Started everything back up but Litchi says "Disconnected". What changed in 10 minutes? I tried powering everything down, back up, connecting and disconnecting the controller to the tablet and nothing changed. Still "Disconnected". Please, any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have just started using Litchi and I too have been frustrated a few times by the behaviour that you describe. I am thinking that it is most likely a USB port issue. First thing to check is to make sure that DJI Go is not running. Stop Lichi, disconnect the USB cable. Check that the drone and controller are connected - green LED on controller. Plug in USB and a dialogue box should open asking which app to connect to the USB - select Litchi - Once. Litchi should open and after 10 seconds Connected.

I will try again today. Reading some of the horror stories about losing drones on Litchi missions is scary. I assume Litchi has no liability?

When you shut it down to change the battery, it obviously got disconnected. By “powered everything down” does that mean each device? Drone, remote and iPad? Was DJI Go 4 running? Just brainstorming for you. Hope you got it back up and running

I will try again today. Reading some of the horror stories about losing drones on Litchi missions is scary. I assume Litchi has no liability?
Yes, I too felt a certain trepidation when preparing for my first Litchi waypoint flight. I also had the same nervousness when getting ready for my first Drone Deploy flight. I think the main cause is the fear of handing over control to a small computer. My advice would be to start really small - plan a mission that you will have good visual line of sight to the drone at all times. Double check all the mission settings and waypoints on your computer in the comfort of your home. When you are absolutely confident - double check it all again. When you fly the mission have the drone speed set low that way you have time to react if anything untoward should happen. Then concentrate on the screen and the drone for the entire mission so that you will notice any unintended behaviour - for example I set the last waypoint too close to the home position on one flight. As the drone reached the last waypoint I mentally relaxed only to then realise that the drone was landing rather than RTH and land. No big issue since it was so close I just walked over to make my usual hand catch but at the time it was a surprise and slight annoyance at my own mistake. I have now made 6 Litchi flights based on the Hivemapper lawnmwer waypoint mission so I am slowly feeling a little more confident and hopefully I will start to plan more missions from scratch.
All the best, Martin

So I tried flying again today. Litchi still says "Disconnected". But I CAN fly the drone manually. When I power the drone off Litchi says "Disconnected". Any suggestions for a new step? Perhaps reinstall DJIGo and see if it connects?

Does anyone know, does Litchi have a support group? Is there a forum? Where can one turn for help?

So I tried flying again today. Litchi still says "Disconnected". But I CAN fly the drone manually. When I power the drone off Litchi says "Disconnected". Any suggestions for a new step? Perhaps reinstall DJIGo and see if it connects?
I am away from home so unfortunately I can't access the Nexus tablet that I use to fly my P4.
1. Try a different USB lead in order to rule that out.
2. On your phone/tablet go in to Settings. In the Search Settings box type USB. This will show whether the phone or the device controls the USB port etc.

I am wondering if when you had DJI Go installed you clicked on 'Always' in the dialogue box that asks whether you want to the app just once or always.

3. If you turn on the controller then the aircraft and let them connect before plugging in the USB do you get a dialogue box pop up asking which app to open? If not what happens when you start Litchi?

Thanks for your insights. Here’s what I did based on your suggestions
I tried the USB cord that came with the tablet. Same result.
i went into Settings then searched for USB and it returned nothing. Like it never even searched.
I start the drone, then the remote. Wait a minute or so then plug in the tablet to the remote. Litchi starts and says “Disconnected”

Forgot to add. So I am watching the Litchi display and it’s saying Disconnected. But when I unplug the USB cord from the remote Litchi gives me an audio alert Saying “disconnectEd “

Forgot to add. So I am watching the Litchi display and it’s saying Disconnected. But when I unplug the USB cord from the remote Litchi gives me an audio alert Saying “disconnectEd “
I am at a bit of a loss and now grasping at straws but at this point I would:

Uninstall Litchi. Restart the tablet. Reinstall Litchi. Follow the drone start up procedure as above.

If this does not resolve the issue then I would install Litchi on another android device such as a mobile. Go through the same same start up.

I am still surprised that a search for 'USB' in the System Search box doesn't yield any results. It certainly should do.

If no other suggestions come up then maybe it is time to contact Litchi support.

All the best, Martin

Perhaps reinstall DJIGo and see if it connects?
Please do... why not? That'll help narrow it down, the problem is likely not Litchi

I've been flying LItchi missions on MP and P4P for 3 years. Totally confident letting LItchi fly it. The only problems I've had were related to a compass error. If you launch with steel around (hard to see that rebar in the concrete), you may get some poor results.

You need to discriminate between a disconnect of the RC and bird versus a disconnect between the RC and the iPad. The first time I got the "disconnected" message I thought I was in big trouble. But I still had full control of the bird, just no telemetry. The communication problem between the RC and the ipad was solved by switching to the USB connection instead of the micro connection. I also carry a spare cable just in case. Get good ones.

From time to time I have trouble getting everything to start up right the first time. Like most electronics, this set up has a personality and sometimes you have to fiddle with it to get the bird talking to the RC talking to the iPad. But once everything is hooked up to everything else, you're good to go.

The best feature of a Litchi waypoint mission is that it's all controlled from the bird after the upload. You could actually turn off your RC and the mission would complete and RTH. So if the unforeseen communication disconnect between the bird and the RC does happen, just stick around. It'll be back. To take best advantage of that feature, I start and end the mission near the launchpoint and don't use the movable home point feature (that feature sets home where the RC is instead of where it launched).

GPS enabled device needed for RTH being the device, not takeoff point. Litchi or Go.
Hope you get it figured out. Good luck.

Where ared you reading these horror stories? As a Litchi user, I would really like to see what happened. Got Links?

I can't remember exactly but I think I read the "Litchi horror stories" on the Litchi Forum. I could be kids. Don't know.

Litchi is a sophisticated autonomous flight control system. People who don't read the manual and don't take the time and effort to understand the features and limitations are likely to have problems. Flying sUAS is inherently a technically challenging activity all by itself, and there are examples of flyers who have had unhappy experiences. Some of those will have been flying LItchi. Some will have been flying any RC software you want to name.

I'm not debating. Just reporting that LItchi has been rock solid for me for over 3 years and hundreds of autonomous flights. Yes, I've had issues. No, I haven't crashed one or lost one due to LItchi. Some of the issues have had me bewildered for awhile, but invariably when they were resolved, it was pilot preventable and no fault of Litchi.

Three strong selling points for me are: (1) it lets me plan off-line using the Litchi Hub, (2) it will never prevent me from flying because it's thinks I'm not authorized, and (3) it works the way it says it should. If it has features you think you want, you don't need to be afraid of it. Jump in, and read the manual.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.