Discharging smart battery without flight?

1. I gave specific examples that happened to me personally about questioned at Check-In regarding batterys. I can also add that go through many airports such as Dubai and you will see notices warning about batterys and carriage on flights.
Emirates asked me about my LiPo Powerbanks. Air baltic also asked about any battery items and what charge state. Both informed me that safe discharged level required.
Whether it is in their rules - makes no odds when you are checking in. Argue and you may not fly. They have that option.
So someone asked you at some time in the past.
But we don't know what they asked or what the would have done if you had full batteries
I'm not sure what inference we can draw from such patchy evidence.
However, I note that neither of those airlines mention a state of charge on their website where they specify their rules for batteries.
The rules may have changed or the personnel involved might have had a poor understanding of rules, or they may not have been concerned or you may have misunderstood.
2. Your comment "Perhaps you should enlighten the IATA, FAA, CAA and all the airlines. " .... is silly and was shown to be so by my reply regarding the Max 8 Boeing. FAA had been 'enlightened' by physical evidence of crashes and STILL avoided the issue until international pressure was exerted.
So large battery packs permanently fitted to 787 aircraft are somehow relevant to passenger carry-on of small batteries??
If there's a connection, it's not obvious.

The battery rules for passengers are well-known but you seem to know much better than the authorities who wrote them and make them available to hundreds of thousands of passengers every day.
If you know much better and disagree with them, take it up with them.

We are all entitled to our views, opinions and comments as long as they do not insult or belittle anothers. I did not cross that line.
That's fine Nigel .. I was simply attempting to point out the discrepancies between your unique views and what actually happens in airports and on planes.
It seems that it isn't getting through.

So someone asked you at some time in the past.
But we don't know what they asked or what the would have done if you had full batteries

?? Go back and read my original and it clearly states what they asked.

I'm not sure what inference we can draw from such patchy evidence.

Better than a comment that no-one cares as you made !! What I am illustrating by personal experience - is that Check In DID ask and I do not know what the solution may have been if I answered contrary to what they considered acceptable. But I do know this and witnessed it more than once : Passenger refused because Check In made decision.... (I do not imply that decision was about batterys .. it was other matters - but Check In denied flight).

However, I note that neither of those airlines mention a state of charge on their website where they specify their rules for batteries.
The rules may have changed or the personnel involved might have had a poor understanding of rules, or they may not have been concerned or you may have misunderstood.

Doesn't alter the fact that I was asked and that your reply to it was to imply I was making false post. In fact you now say ... I misunderstood !!

So large battery packs permanently fitted to 787 aircraft are somehow relevant to passenger carry-on of small batteries??
If there's a connection, it's not obvious.

Of course not - because YOU have now entered this snippet when no-one else has.

The battery rules for passengers are well-known but you seem to know much better than the authorities who wrote them and make them available to hundreds of thousands of passengers every day.
If you know much better and disagree with them, take it up with them.

You really have missed the boat ...

Check In interprets the rules and act as they consider appropriate. Don't believe me ? Well its true. Waving papers and arguing will 99% of the time only harden their attitude and have you banned from the flight for 'behaviour' ... seen it and know they can do.

It was not so long ago that 'Hover-Boards' were banned and there was no written documentation on this for a long time ... in fact later it was narrowed down to the LiPo batterys in them ... rules came about.

That's fine Nigel .. I was simply attempting to point out the discrepancies between your unique views and what actually happens in airports and on planes.
It seems that it isn't getting through.

Let me put this simply :

1. I have not said in any post here that LiPo's should be by RULE at storage or full discharged level.
2. I posted that I have been asked by two airlines about the charge state / carrying of LiPo / Lithium batterys. That at least one commented that it would be better at 'safe' storage level. Whether the airline has that rule is not the issue - the Check In said it.
3. I do not hold unique views on this, I follow the guidelines of the airlines I fly with - and I fly so often that I'm looking fwd to the day I can just relax and not have to go through airline security again.

You really have missed the boat ...
Funny ... I was thinking the same thing about the other participant in this dialog.
You seem to have difficulties understanding what I've written so I won't bother again.

Have you found out what deadweight means yet?

Funny ... I was thinking the same thing about the other participant in this dialog.
You seem to have difficulties understanding what I've written so I won't bother again.

Have you found out what deadweight means yet?

First - you're ignoring plain experienced fact.

But glad you bring up Deadweight ... here's my reply just posted - as I had not gone back there to read replies :

DWT is basically the carrying capacity in tonnage of a vessel which also includes stores / personnel / bunkers etc.

My comment - which you obviously have not a clue about ...

She's actually only about 12,800 MT Summer DWT ... giving her only a fraction of your 50KT in actual light displacement. (GRT and NRT are not actual weights but volumes)

12,800 MT Summer DWT is the load to bring her to Summer Draft marks.
Your 50KT was so far of the mark to be ludicrous. Why ? Because of the comment she has 50,000 tons of steel !!
Should you check Q88's or simple Marinesearch or other online resurce ... use of GRT or NRT would likewise be wrong for the actual tonnage in weight.

You are now straying into my career territory ....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor