Charged Flight Battery

Reaction score
Hi;

Can anyone help me with this question please?

I charged my flight battery full at 5 pm on May 30th to fly on the 31st but due to high winds in my area I couldn't go out to fly. Should I discharge the battery, or will it be safe if I leave it charged until tomorrow, June 2nd at 10:am?

Thanks for any help with this as I'm just not sure how long it can be safely left fully charged without damaging it.

Bud

In app you can set days 1-10 for discharge. I have mine set to 10 days. I recommend to read the battery manual, there is everything you need to know.
Peter

I would leave them charged, it's only 3 days and if you discharge them it will be one more cycle on your battery. A batteries amount of charges is finite and I believe you would have no battery life gain in doing a discharge for this very short period of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: deltamike
Yes it is fine until the 2nd. I have 6 batteries all set at 10 discharge, however they rarely ever stay charged 10 days without being used.

Reactions: deltamike
By default, DJI batteries will start to discharge after ten days of sitting. You can adjust this (lower) to fit your needs. I believe that many members like a 2 or 3 day setting. You can also buy a hub that will accommodate 3 batteries and it has a storage setting that when set by the options switch will manage them for you.

It's person preference as to how to set yours.

Maybe a little longer cycle if your constantly having to charge them because they discharge too often for your flying habits, or less if you find that your always going more than 10 days between flights.

Also note that you have to set each battery and the time you set will always start over when you press the power button to check them.

Set it and forget it.

Thank you. Most appreciated

Bud

I would leave them charged, it's only 3 days and if you discharge them it will be one more cycle on your battery. A batteries amount of charges is finite and I believe you would have no battery life gain in doing a discharge.

Thank you. I do have the DJI Battery Hub, and my batteries are all set to begin discharging in one day. That's why I asked the question because I was also wondering if they would begin to discharge today after 24 hours has already elapsed. I just didn't know if it would hurt the battery to leave it another 24 hours until tomorrow.

My only concern is will they be damaged if they are left fully charged for say 36 hours?

Appreciate the kind reply.

Thanks

Bud

By default, DJI batteries will start to discharge after ten days of sitting. You can adjust this (lower) to fit your needs. I believe that many members like a 2 or 3 day setting. You can also buy a hub that will accommodate 3 batteries and it has a storage setting that when set by the options switch will manage them for you.

It's person preference as to how to set yours.

Maybe a little longer cycle if your constantly having to charge them because they discharge too often for your flying habits, or less if you find that your always going more than 10 days between flights.

Also note that you have to set each battery and the time you set will always start over when you press the power button to check them.

Set it and forget it.

There is no need at all to freak out about a fully charged battery over a few weeks time if it is stored in a cool environment. The concern over Li-ion batteries is storage at full charge for an extended time under high ambient heat conditions (worst case example would be in a constantly plugged-in laptop, i.e. constant state of full charge and warm battery environment). A Phantom battery will not be harmed in the slightest by sitting a while at full charge for a week or two if kept at room temperature or below.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
Thank you for the very informative reply. I appreciate that very much.

Bud

There is no need at all to freak out about a fully charged battery over a few weeks time if it is stored in a cool environment. The concern over Li-ion batteries is storage at full charge for an extended time under high ambient heat conditions (worst case example would be in a constantly plugged-in laptop, i.e. full charge and warm battery environment). A Phantom battery will not be harmed in the slightest by sitting a while a full charge for a week or two if kept at room temperature or below.

There is no need at all to freak out about a fully charged battery over a few weeks time if it is stored in a cool environment. The concern over Li-ion batteries is storage at full charge for an extended time under high ambient heat conditions (worst case example would be in a constantly plugged-in laptop, i.e. constant state of full charge and warm battery environment). A Phantom battery will not be harmed in the slightest by sitting a while at full charge for a week or two if kept at room temperature or below.
As you have said, state of charge at high temperatures are well known conditions to accelerate capacity loss over time. At lower temperatures we make informed decisions about convenience vs service life and long term performance. Simple economics. Your suggestion storage at lower temps fully charged won't harm the battery in the slightest is misleading. While at 0deg C degradation attributed to fully charged state is in the single digits at 25deg it is closer to 20% capacity loss over a year. A couple of weeks is significant, particularity where it is a repeated practice, as the loss of capacity is cumulative.

As a further consideration- storage at full charge without a need to do so should be avoided. LIION is least stable presenting its greatest potential for fire/explosion risk while fully charged. This is the principal reason they aren't accepted as air cargo if fully charged- followed closely by manufacturers endeavouring to maximise shelf life prior to sale.

That's interesting information but I'll never leave my flight batteries fully charged for more than 36 hours and then that's ONLY if I have no choice.

Thanks to all that have replied to my question. Every reply is appreciated, thank you.

Bud

As you have said, state of charge at high temperatures are well known conditions to accelerate capacity loss over time. At lower temperatures we make informed decisions about convenience vs service life and long term performance. Simple economics. Your suggestion storage at lower temps fully charged won't harm the battery in the slightest is misleading. While at 0deg C degradation attributed to fully charged state is in the single digits at 25deg it is closer to 20% capacity loss over a year. A couple of weeks is significant, particularity where it is a repeated practice, as the loss of capacity is cumulative.

As a further consideration- storage at full charge without a need to do so should be avoided. LIION is least stable presenting its greatest potential for fire/explosion risk while fully charged. This is the principal reason they aren't accepted as air cargo if fully charged- followed closely by manufacturers endeavouring to maximise shelf life prior to sale.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik