Disaster struck today - drone fell from sky

If you decide not to send it to Dji, send it my way and I will get her up in the air for you.
Hani

Btw does it still power up and do the motors spin up when you do csc?

My Phantom 2 Vision Plus loss power today with a fully charged battery at a 60' hover. Needless to say, total loss of Gimble and internal P-2 Wifi tx transmitter not working now. It's only 4 months old and hoping DJI will find what happened and replace. If they do not honor warranty, is there any one here that can help with new Wifi TX board and possible Gimbal repair? I am just anticipating worse case scenario from DJI. I have not heard good things about DJI support, so lets hope they take care of me. This loss of power seems to be an ongoing issue. What I did notice before the failure was an error that said, "not enough power to return home", and then loss of FPV and then all power loss. After the crash, I was able to power the aircraft and fly without camera, or Wifi. Really strange.... Any advice , or assistance appreciated.

Only if you simultaneously had an failure on the onboard barometer(altimeter). The motors shut down if throttle is all the way down for 3 seconds AND if during that time the altitude does not change

Ahhh, I did wonder what would happen if the stick was in the down position accident while in flight.

Thanks
Phil.

yes,
let me know what you hear back from DJI and if they don't come through sent it my way and i will be happy to check it out.

I picked up a p2v+v3 2 days ago and these types of dropping out of the sky threads scare the life out of me

Glad you got a full refund OP, and it was a valuable lesson learned too. When I got my first v3 after a defect v2, I thought the thing was bomb-proof. So frickin stable. Seemed like it could go on forever! Until my fourth flight, it smashed into the ground all of a sudden. Luckily I got it replaced too, but it made me super-scared to fly over places with people and valuable stuff. I've flown it quite a distance over water, but I find it super-scary to fly it over roads where there's cars and people walking. I just have a hard time putting my trust into the Phantom again after what happened last time, and fear it could happen again at any time without any warnings.

Being new to this I find it mind boggling that these things just drop out of the sky for no apparent reason .... Even after I calibrate compass in the middle of a field, metal and magnetic free. Gps lock and all the careful checks and regular maintainance .... They still drop out of the sky?

Phil

Being new to this I find it mind boggling that these things just drop out of the sky for no apparent reason .... Even after I calibrate compass in the middle of a field, metal and magnetic free. Gps lock and all the careful checks and regular maintainance .... They still drop out of the sky?

Phil
Yep, they do. After experiencing it myself, I am prepared for it to drop out of the sky any moment. I do everything I can in order to assure it does not happen, but I'll never be 100% confident that it's not going to die all of a sudden. I'm now at 19 flights and just over 6 hrs flight time on my v3, but the trust issues are still very apparent.

Wrong - very wrong. Phantom pilots bring their machines down that way all the time.
You cannot shut off the motors in the air by holding the throttle down - even for much longer than 2 seconds.
Actually, holding the left stick all the way down will shut off the motors on the V3. I do it all the time to hand catch. If you do that during a descent, gravity happens.

Yep, they do. After experiencing it myself, I am prepared for it to drop out of the sky any moment. I do everything I can in order to assure it does not happen, but I'll never be 100% confident that it's not going to die all of a sudden. I'm now at 19 flights and just over 6 hrs flight time on my v3, but the trust issues are still very apparent.
Trust, you hit the nail on the head. I bit the bullet yesterday evening and went out for a 2 battery flight. Full of nerves even after checks, calibration, 30 secs of testing inputs at 6ft. Then off I went to Max altitude. Figured if it's going to die then it can do it in style ;-). All my worries floated away after a couple of minutes. I really enjoyed those 45 mins in the sky .... once all my kit was safley packed away. It's a hobby of highs and lows ... The latter happening when one might not expect!

When you're in flight with the v3 putting the left stick all the way down it will descend but the motors don't shut off. Its to fast for landing but it doesn't fall out of the sky. I've done it from 300ft. And the descend rate is about 4.2 miles per hour.

Mark

Actually, holding the left stick all the way down will shut off the motors on the V3. I do it all the time to hand catch. If you do that during a descent, gravity happens.

My understanding was that holding the left stick down will only kill the motors once there is no more descent, because the phantom will think it has landed. I hand-catch too, but the motors won't stop until I hold it still for a few seconds.

Have I misunderstood and just been lucky to not have crashed? I thought holding the stick down would provide max descent speed, not an easy way to kiss this hobby goodbye. Somebody tell me it is not so.

You know what you're right. I never land. I get it to about 6ft, grab and push left stick down till it clicks. It powers of in about 2 seconds.

Mike ... possibly the most common question asked is will my motors stop if I hold the left stick down while descending?
One reason this is asked nearly every day is that people keep spreading false information.
Here is a revision exercise for you.
Take your Phantom up 160 feet (about 50 metres).
Hold your left stick down for 10 seconds.
What will happen is that your Phantom will descend at 2 metres/sec and come down 20 metres under full control.

Here's your recommended reading
i-z58ZjP4-L.jpg

Reactions: volito and StevenQX
just looking at this gives me the shivers wonder how many people saw this and are loosing sleep now wondering if this is what they did
now we need a cam on the quad and one on the controller

Just to be clear there is no way I did a CSC. It would be completely stupid to try that while the drone is on its way back home after an uneventful flight.

Here is the scene where it crashed:

2u76jon.jpg

The vortex ring state theory is interesting but I was descending no faster than usual (full down throttle), the motors cut off and also it did not wobble before it fell. The rotors just stopped and it fell like a rock.
Does not look like VRS, if you were moving forward whilst descending, as depicted.
I am paranoid about VRS, and never trust a full left stick only down, I always descend on what I might call a glide path.Yes I know max descent speed is limited. I fly for photography,not aggressive flight,so I always descend carefully.
Also hard to imagine an inadvertent CSC, a full down and yaw is a strange move,especially combined with full back and left(Dependant on orientation obv,and mode)
It is hard to get your confidence back after this.
Sorry about your loss.
Good luck and fly safely

After watching that video a couple times, it is reacting nearly exactly like mine did with the GPS Plug issue.
This is a video of how not to fly,so many things wrong,yes should be compulsory viewing.
You have an unexplained fall,and then take off again immediately,fly over water,hover over your mate etc. Oh and "Nearly missed" should = "Hit"

What if you are descending and a burst of air holds it in place for a second or two with the stick down ,will it shut down or keep on going? is it smart enough to know its still high off the ground and it should not shut down?
thanks

Where would a burst of air straight upward come from -- besides flying in a thunder cloud?

pretty sure wind does not only go in one direction
it was just a thought since every one else was offering there opinions

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl