Did DJI forget to "no-fly zone" the busiest airport in Europe?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was checking out a place to fly near me, and I noticed the "no-fly zone" that usually encompasses Heathrow airport, UK (and also encompasses my home town as collateral...!) seems to have disappeared from the map (http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly). Has anyone had any success reporting issues with no-fly zones to DJI? Despite it limiting where I can fly, I think it's a very sensible precaution to have over an airport as large as Heathrow, so I planned to report it.

2015-07-07_00-06-59.png

It looks like they've also made some changes and added "warning areas". Perhaps some zones were broken in a recent update? Anyone else notice their local airports missing protection?

Cheers

The firmware holds the values to the no fly zones. The website maybe incorrect or getting updated.

The firmware holds the values to the no fly zones. The website maybe incorrect or getting updated.

I thought this might be the case, but then it's also feasible that the app will gather no-fly zones and simply transmit them to the aircraft as it does with other settings. Do you know for sure the firmware holds them?

That must be just an error on the map, you still won't be able to fly in that area. Relying on a no-fly zone is never a good idea either, flying safe and knowing where you are flying and where you shouldn't is always the best knowledge to have; so it is a good thing that you were able to notice that. Of course, unplug the GPS chip and you can fly pretty much where ever you please, but the hope is that the general population is either too dumb to do that or too smart to fly where they shouldn't.

Do not rely on DJI's no fly zones. Many of DJI's no fly zones are inaccurate and more likely than not, the local laws will be different.

That must be just an error on the map, you still won't be able to fly in that area. Relying on a no-fly zone is never a good idea either, flying safe and knowing where you are flying and where you shouldn't is always the best knowledge to have; so it is a good thing that you were able to notice that. Of course, unplug the GPS chip and you can fly pretty much where ever you please, but the hope is that the general population is either too dumb to do that or too smart to fly where they shouldn't.

No... Doesn't work.
(see underlined above)

A tinfoil 'hat' can be effective.
(Not advocating this, speaking technically)

Do not rely on DJI's no fly zones. Many of DJI's no fly zones are inaccurate and more likely than not, the local laws will be different.

I'm not worried about it for my sake - I am always aware of where I should and shouldn't fly in advance of going to a new location. I'm just worried that someone is going to fire up his new Phantom and blast it to 500m without thinking.

No... Doesn't work.
(see underlined above)

A tinfoil 'hat' can be effective.
(Not advocating this, speaking technically)
That is true, you would have to disable GPS from your tablet as well. Anything that would tell the quad that you are within range of a no-fly zone will keep you grounded. Disable everything and you are flyable, not necessarily good to fly though...

You can't disable GPS based restrictions at the operator/user or hardware level.
It's lower level than that.

No GPS "representation" present on the buss... no flying.

This statement:

"Disable everything and you are flyable..."

is confusing (i.e. wrong) as there is no selectable GPS restriction 'override'.

Have I misunderstood you?

How did you get to that page you linked? I usually check this one - http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc which is showing heathrow as no-fly zone (and gatwick etc) also this one - https://www.dji.com/fly-safe which seems to be the main page, for which both choices include the heathrow zones...

Ah ha, that is the map I'm used to. I found it by following from the main page:
http://www.dji.com/
Then "fly safe" at the top, which takes me to http://flysafe.dji.com/
Then the "no fly zones" button takes me to the link I posted originally

Wonder where you get your information about unplugging the GSP. By unplugging the GPS you won't have to worry about no fly zones as your bird just won't take flight.

What local laws? Only the FAA can make rules regarding flight.

Just to name a couple CAA & CASA Steve.

What local laws? Only the FAA can make rules regarding flight.
You can keep repeating this, and you're right, of course, but it is not stopping some communities from going ahead anyway with drone bans and trying to regulate them. Don't ya just hate how out-of-control government has become?! It usually takes the little guy, at his expense, to fight City Hall. It was not intended that way, but .gov never makes itself smaller, only bigger.

You can keep repeating this, and you're right, of course, but it is not stopping some communities from going ahead anyway with drone bans and trying to regulate them. Don't ya just hate how out-of-control government has become?! It usually takes the little guy, at his expense, to fight City Hall. It was not intended that way, but .gov never makes itself smaller, only bigger.
Someone had to vote for them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic