Deliberate CSC

You are a smart fellow and you are correct when considering the flight surface. However, when considering the drone as a whole, it's still top heavy. Therefore, we are both correct and both smart enough to NOT try this at home. :)
Anytime you are dealing with aircraft, the stability is determined by the surface that is providing lift. it the Phantom were sitting on the ground not flying, yes it's top heavy. but in flight, it's bottom heavy.

Well... You will be happy to know I actually tested the theory out. This is what happend...

Went to a height of 200M
Decided to hover and turn the motors off

The phantom dropped like a rock

Wouldn't start so I tried again

It started up and as it dropped the props start spinning

By now I'm about 100M before impact to the ground

At 50m it hovered then came back to me. I looked round and saw 25 topless women kissing me

I then woke up and had breakfast [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Pharm
Anytime you are dealing with aircraft, the stability is determined by the surface that is providing lift. it the Phantom were sitting on the ground not flying, yes it's top heavy. but in flight, it's bottom heavy.
You clearly know more about aerodynamics than I do so please pipe down and let me at least LOOK smart for a few posts. My public image is at stake here!

Seriously, I see your point. Now, a question: If it's bottom heavy in flight, what happens when it's shut down and the props are no longer generating lift (as would happen with a CSC)? Would it not then become top heavy and flip upside down on the way to terra firma? (Serious question, not arguing your explanation).

My basic thoughts go more towards it recovering itself.

If restarted in flight, the new restart has no baseline to go off of for level, as it has turned on whilst tumbling.

I would think in a situation like this better off restarting and going to atti to manually try to recover it, if it responds to commands.

But I totally admit I'm new to this.

As to the why it will orient whilst falling, yes, it's COG will have a high percentage of determining this, balanced with what orientation produces the least drag IMO.

Of course it goes without saying to not get into that situation in the first place ... :)

Once upon a time in flight csc was possible. The ability to do it hasn't been since the Phantom Vision 2+. I saw it take on video one time from a setup equipped with the gopro. In this video, the pilot was around 5000ft altitude and got into a situation where the a/c had lost signal and drifted further away. He managed to regain a signal and then attempt to bring the a/c back more so over head. The wind up there was actually too strong and the battery was getting low. He then found some success in descending at a angle except he knew the battery level was still not going to make it. So even though he had never tried to csc he had no other option. He tried and it worked. He managed to recover around 1000ft but only around 3% battery, the a/c shut down and dropped around 200ft and crash into some woods below. Finally someone later on found the a/c and returned it to him.

You clearly know more about aerodynamics than I do so please pipe down and let me at least LOOK smart for a few posts. My public image is at stake here!

Seriously, I see your point. Now, a question: If it's bottom heavy in flight, what happens when it's shut down and the props are no longer generating lift (as would happen with a CSC)? Would it not then become top heavy and flip upside down on the way to terra firma? (Serious question, not arguing your explanation).

Lol, sorry about that! Your image is safe! I only know enough to get me in trouble............I would imaging if its not under power and falling, yes we are talking about something completely different. But I still think the props would have some aerodynamic affect on it and provide some air resistance which would most likely cause it to flip over at some point.

Lol, sorry about that! Your image is safe! I only know enough to get me in trouble............I would imaging if its not under power and falling, yes we are talking about something completely different. But I still think the props would have some aerodynamic affect on it and provide some air resistance which would most likely cause it to flip over at some point.
Makes sense. Can I borrow your Phantom for the test? I promise I'll give all the pieces back to you. ;)

And thanks for protecting my stellar reputation!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers