Deep cycling PS3 batteries.

Reaction score
This subject has probably been beat to death but I still don’t know if it is necessary to deep cycle my batteries. I have never done this. Is there any new information on the subject available? Air Data program shows me that I am way past due to do this.

It's not necessary to deep cycle any DJI batteries.

Reactions: Loz
This subject has probably been beat to death but I still don’t know if it is necessary to deep cycle my batteries. I have never done this. Is there any new information on the subject available? Air Data program shows me that I am way past due to do this.
No... it is entirely unnecessary with the exception of one scenario, the cells can’t be balanced during charging. Even then to the extent it resolves the issue it will be a short term solution.

Thank you. Wonder why Air Data mentions it in the maintenance section, seems like they should be aware of the fact it’s not necessary.

Thank you. Wonder why Air Data mentions it in the maintenance section, seems like they should be aware of the fact it’s not necessary.
Yes, ask them, give us an update.

Rod

I sent a request for a explanation and when I get a reply, I will post it here.

This was the reply from AirData I received today:

DJI recommends this in their battery manual:
https://www.drone-world.com/media/p3/DJI_Intelligent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_en.pdf

"Charge and discharge the battery completely once every 20 charge/discharge cycles. Discharge the
battery until there is 8% remaining power or until it can no longer be turned on, then recharge it to the
maximum capacity. This power cycling procedure will optimize battery life"

Generally this is safe, and allows the smart battery to recalibrate and provide an accurate reading of the remaining flight time. However, it is recommended to be careful not to over discharge the battery - as if the battery charge gets too low, it can cause permanent damage. So, after discharging the battery, let it cool down, then recharge it as recommended by DJI.

I hope this helps,
Frederic

So apparently, DJI still recommends this procedure????

Now what?

Reactions: RodPad
This was the reply from AirData I received today:

DJI recommends this in their battery manual:
https://www.drone-world.com/media/p3/DJI_Intelligent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_en.pdf

"Charge and discharge the battery completely once every 20 charge/discharge cycles. Discharge the
battery until there is 8% remaining power or until it can no longer be turned on, then recharge it to the
maximum capacity. This power cycling procedure will optimize battery life"

Generally this is safe, and allows the smart battery to recalibrate and provide an accurate reading of the remaining flight time. However, it is recommended to be careful not to over discharge the battery - as if the battery charge gets too low, it can cause permanent damage. So, after discharging the battery, let it cool down, then recharge it as recommended by DJI.

I hope this helps,
Frederic

So apparently, DJI still recommends this procedure????

Now what?
Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

I will be using my discharge cycles flying rather than unnecessarily stressing the cells with an outdated procedure.

I say it isn’t necessary simply because the currently employed fuel gauging routines in our packs aren’t simple coulomb counters, they measure all the relavent battery parameters including internal resistance in real time during charge and discharge. Needing to measure mah delivered to the cells during charge to estimate capacity is old tech only found in the lowest cost most basic of devices these days.

It’s almost certain DJI hasn’t updated procedures from older batteries they supplied.

Reactions: RodPad
So apparently, DJI still recommends this procedure?
No. Airdata linked you to a document from 2015. You can find the current version of the battery safety guidelines here.

Well all things considered, being as my batteries are almost 2 years old and they are holding to 93% available power after never doing a full cycle discharge, I don’t believe that doing a full cycle is going to be of any help as far as improving the charge or life for the batteries. Thank you for the updated intelligent Flight Battery safety guidelines version (06/2017).
Your thoughts? Seems like if you discharge or not as a personal preference, it really doesn’t change anything that affects performance levels.
Would really like to hear from anyone that been faithful to either scenario.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31