Decisions, Decisions, Decisions, P4P or Mavic

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new to all this and want to get everyone's input.
I've place an order for a Mavic, but might cancel and get a P4P. I'm leaning towards the P4P for the better camera and cool features. All I will be using this for are videos and photos. Possibly use this for the work (architecture- buildings/homes)
Question are:
1) P4P or Mavic or P4P+?
2) Is it worth getting the packages (extra battery/carrying case/charger) or get those item separately?
3) I'm new to flying drones, should i get a P3 Standard and practice flying? Its fraction of the cost at the moment and since mavic is not out yet and P4P price is still full retail.
4) Also I've seen prices on P4P packages for hundreds cheaper on Amazon. Is there something i'm missing?

Any advice or suggestion will help
Thanks in advance!

Mavic and Phantoms have different qualities, check this forum and you will have many opinions. To learn I recommend a syma x5c, all manual with gyros. Once you get good with a syma your dji will be a joy to fly. Phantoms are easy flyers but if you get in trouble and have to fly manually you may encounter some difficulties.

Reactions: dream54ing
You can easily pick up a phantom and learn on the spot. Just find a OPEN area and learn how to control it flying towards/away from you. I don't think those packages are worth it , but that is just my opinion. Get it from a legit source!

Mavic and Phantoms have different qualities, check this forum and you will have many opinions. To learn I recommend a syma x5c, all manual with gyros. Once you get good with a syma your dji will be a joy to fly. Phantoms are easy flyers but if you get in trouble and have to fly manually you may encounter some difficulties.
Thanks, If i'm going to practice, I prefer to practice on something similar to the phantoms. That way i know the basic functions of phantoms remote/changing battery/etc. I will be flying this in a large open space, so less likely run into too much trouble. The syma x5c looks like a totally different drone.

Thanks, If i'm going to practice, I prefer to practice on something similar to the phantoms. That way i know the basic functions of phantoms remote/changing battery/etc. I will be flying this in a large open space, so less likely run into too much trouble. The syma x5c looks like a totally different drone.
Honeslty, I don't think you need to. The phantom flies super stable, especially the newer models. Just make sure it is in GPS mode. My 10 Year neighbour flew a p3p easily, but whatever works for you.

Once you know that, then you can switch it to atti mode and adjust to the wind/drift.

You can easily pick up a phantom and learn on the spot. Just find a OPEN area and learn how to control it flying towards/away from you. I don't think those packages are worth it , but that is just my opinion. Get it from a legit source!

Yes, I'm planning to learn and practice on a large open area. So do you think i should get a P3 to learn or Should i just get the P4P/Mavic? Can you elaborate on why the packages are not worth it? I did the math and seem much less expensive for these packages. Where is a legit source? directly from DJI? this is the one I was looking at:
https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-...qid=1480542839&sr=8-13&keywords=phantom+4+pro

Yes, I'm planning to learn and practice on a large open area. So do you think i should get a P3 to learn or Should i just get the P4P/Mavic? Can you elaborate on why the packages are not worth it? I did the math and seem much less expensive for these packages. Where is a legit source? directly from DJI? this is the one I was looking at:
https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-...qid=1480542839&sr=8-13&keywords=phantom+4+pro
Depends where you live, but this site has no tax DJi p4p: DJI Phantom 4 Pro Quadcopter CP.PT.000488 B&H Photo Video

GO straight to the p4p, its stabilisation is better than the p3...Just personal opinion . I don't like most of the backpacks that those combos come with. The only combos that might be worth it are the ones that have extra batteries.

Depends where you live, but this site has no tax DJi p4p: DJI Phantom 4 Pro Quadcopter CP.PT.000488 B&H Photo Video

GO straight to the p4p, its stabilisation is better than the p3...Just personal opinion . I don't like most of the backpacks that those combos come with. The only combos that might be worth it are the ones that have extra batteries.

That's what I was figuring, most likely straight to the P4P....The package deal for $1760 on amazon has extra battery and other stuff, compared to some other site's package deal listing over $2200. I just dont want to be getting something that is not legit, that why i want to ask why such a big price discrepancy.

Hi everyone,
I'm new to all this and want to get everyone's input.
I've place an order for a Mavic, but might cancel and get a P4P. I'm leaning towards the P4P for the better camera and cool features. All I will be using this for are videos and photos. Possibly use this for the work (architecture- buildings/homes)
Question are:
1) P4P or Mavic or P4P+?
2) Is it worth getting the packages (extra battery/carrying case/charger) or get those item separately?
3) I'm new to flying drones, should i get a P3 Standard and practice flying? Its fraction of the cost at the moment and since mavic is not out yet and P4P price is still full retail.
4) Also I've seen prices on P4P packages for hundreds cheaper on Amazon. Is there something i'm missing?

Any advice or suggestion will help
Thanks in advance!

We have plenty of P4s and P3s at good prices on flyhum! Take a look

That's what I was figuring, most likely straight to the P4P....The package deal for $1760 on amazon has extra battery and other stuff, compared to some other site's package deal listing over $2200. I just dont want to be getting something that is not legit, that why i want to ask why such a big price discrepancy.

just an observation, seems like the mavic seems a bit more sturdy if crashed. this is just my perception from watching some youtubers abuse their quadcopters.

if you havent seen it check this out, mavic seems to be a bit tougher of a bird. i doubt the P4 series would come away from this in as good of shape

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

P4P with the better camera is more future proof if you dont mind the bulk

Get a "beater" that your not afraid to take chances with. The Syma is good because it's really cheap and so light it will bounce off of things without breaking most of the time.
The P3 is a good beater because it's cheap, and similar to the P4, but it's much more substantial, which means better in wind, but doesn't bounce very well. It also has gps, which makes it too easy to fly for training your reflexes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm using a Bebop 2 as my daily trainer that bounces without breaking, and a P4 and Inspire 1 for production.

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I believe everyones first quad should be something without GPS, if something goes wrong you should be able to fly in atti reasonably well ... the first week or so i had my P2V+ i was flying in high wind and i lost GPS when i was coming in for a landing, scared the heck out of me, if i hadnt had experience with my Blade nano QX i would have almost certainly crashed . highly recommend Blade nano qx or the nano qx 3d , the original nano qx is much tougher than the 3d version

Reactions: NoBiffBetter
prices seem a bit high for used stuff ?

if you looking for used stuff phantom pilots has an awesome classified section.

Sellers are free to dictate pricing for the drones/accessories they want to sell (although you can negotiate with a seller) to get a better pricing. Flyhum is a safe, reliable, and simple way to buy or sell drones online. If you haven't heard about flyhum here is a one minute video on it.

Is it worth getting the packages (extra battery/carrying case/charger) or get those item separately?
It depends on whether or not you're going to use all of the accessories in the package. If you only need some of the items, then you'll most likely be better off price-wise by buying them separately.

I'm new to flying drones, should i get a P3 Standard and practice flying?
It would certainly be the closest drone flight-wise to the P4P and Mavic. The cheaper drones will help you understand how quadcopters fly orientation-wise, but none of them fly like DJI drones.

I've seen prices on P4P packages for hundreds cheaper on Amazon. Is there something i'm missing?
If you're in the US, make sure you only buy from an authorized DJI dealer. DJI will not honor their warranty otherwise. You can find a list of authorized DJI dealers selling Phantoms on Amazon here.

Are you going to use the 'cool features' on the P4P/P4P+?? If its work related and you are getting some coin, then the Phantom 4 Pro.
If you just need a daily then the Mavic will suffice.

And finally, I still think the P3Pro is bang for buck at the moment. Very very capable bird in the right hands.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic