Debating between P3 and a mavic

Reaction score
Getting more involved into the drone community. Thinking about getting the P3 standard in order to better familiarize myself with it how they work. I saw reviews on the mavic and it looks AWESOME. The size and material are the most appealing parts, especially if I want to "Drone-on-the-go" <--I just made that up. Let me know of your thoughts/experiences. If I purchase the P3, I can get it within a couple of days, the Mavic however, won't see my house until mid/late march! What am I going to do with my life?

Thanks pilots.

the Mavic however, won't see my house until mid/late march!
It depends where you order from. If you order directly from the DJI Store here, you can currently get a Mavic in 5-7 business days.

Welcome to the forum Ubibird .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere .
I have both as many here do and I think taking baby steps is the way to go .

Reactions: Ubibird
I have the P3 standard and I absolutely love it but I also have my sights set on a mavic! I believe that drone enthusiasts should not choose, they should collect!

I've had a P3 4K for 7 months and just got a Mavic.

Given my limited flight time with the Mavic, but an excellent understanding of the features, here's my thoughts:

1. If you want to travel - especially via air - and want to bring your drone, the Mavic is hands-down infinitely more portable than the Phantom. The size difference between the Pelican case I carry the P3 in (with spare props, charger, batteries, etc) is literally 5-6 times the size of the equivalent for the Mavic. I am much more likely to take the Mavic with me where I want to since it is unobtrusive, whereas I'm only taking the Phantom where I need to.

Corollary: The P3 setup looks much more professional - which can make the difference for commercial shoots. With the Mavic and the stock controller and your phone, you look like you are playing with a Nintendo drone toy. This might be mitigated when the remote mount arrives, but there you have it. Sometimes perception is everything.

2. The Phantom, being larger and heavier, *should* be more stable. Anecdotal evidence and limited experience indicates that this may not be the case.

3. Mavic has many more features - obstacle avoidance, bottom camera for more precise RTH landings (and it works!), the tracking, tripod, and cinematic modes are all pretty sweet. I used Tripod mode to approach a tower for closeup shots and between that and the collision avoidance, I was much less worried about an inadvertent crash.

4. Phantom's camera has a much wider field of view - which can be important for photographic work. If you are a photographer, it's essentially the difference between a full-frame and a crop sensor. I did the same job with both earlier today and will be comparing the quality.

5. Mavic's battery charger is safer - no exposed prongs to short out if you forget to cover them as with the Phantom (3).

6. The Mavic's controller covers the home button on my iPhone 7 - making it difficult to unlock. I've ordered a mount to allow use of my iPad - or just to move the iPhone out of the remote.

7. The Mavic's remote charges my iPhone!

8. The Mavic's remote charges with Micro USB - much easier to keep running in the field.

My take - it's going to come down to what and how you fly. I likely will keep the P3 4K for commercial work, and use the Mavic for fun - especially when I travel - and as a backup to the Phantom.

Hope this helps.

Getting more involved into the drone community. Thinking about getting the P3 standard in order to better familiarize myself with it how they work. I saw reviews on the mavic and it looks AWESOME. The size and material are the most appealing parts, especially if I want to "Drone-on-the-go" <--I just made that up. Let me know of your thoughts/experiences. If I purchase the P3, I can get it within a couple of days, the Mavic however, won't see my house until mid/late march! What am I going to do with my life?

Thanks pilots.

I've ordered my first (Phantom3s) and have to impatiently wait till next week. It's being shipped across the nation... anxiously waiting...LOL...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks for the input! Much much appreciated. It sounds like, from all the reviews I've read and from what you've posted, that my lifestyle will require the mobility of the Mavic. Thanks again!

I get that this site is phantompilots.com, but DJI just emailed me and said my mavic is en route. I am very glad I am married because the level of geekness that has come over my soul is overwhelming.

I get that this site is phantompilots.com, but DJI just emailed me and said my mavic is en route. I am very glad I am married because the level of geekness that has come over my soul is overwhelming.
Now you can head over to mavicpilots.com!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31