Danger from high intensity power lines?

Reaction score
Totally novice question here. I've read several times to avoid areas with high intensity power lines. Well, I have a path right next to my house where some of these run. I live in a rather old neighborhood, which is highly wooded with very tall trees. I don't have many options here - I can either follow the streets, the powerline path, or fly over private property.

So what are my risks here? What is the effective area of disturbance from the powerlines? Can I fly close to the ground?

I've attached two pictures to show the path. And I figured I'd rather be safe and ask for real advice before I potentially ruined my new quad.

Attachments

• IMG_20170201_172714.jpg
    IMG_20170201_172714.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 442
  • IMG_20170201_172731.jpg
    IMG_20170201_172731.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 471
Slim options for you. My old PS3 being wifi enabled hated going anywhere 13.8kv lines ( minimum of 20 mtrs) whilst my P4 was barely bothered by it. Looking at your photos suggest a much greater voltage transmission line, so I would be keeping a minimum of 20 mtrs, more risk of entanglement than inteference. I routinely fly over 132kv lines at that distance and have never been bothered by them.

So what are my risks here? What is the effective area of disturbance from the powerlines? Can I fly close to the ground?
Here are some numbers to give you an idea how magnetic effects vary with current and distance:
i-dv3qGTV-L.jpg

Twenty metres is a good safety margin for most situations but higher voltage lines might require greater distance.
At this distance I noticed no effects:
i-fCm7SWD-L.png

Reactions: microraptor
I fly around & over the ones out behind my house all the time , just don't get too close . I watched a crew that must have been working for the Power company last year fly a Drone with in feet of the main Switches & Insulators to inspect them & they didn't seem to have an issue . I should have went out & talked to them , but didn't want to bother people working . The drove back there with two trucks , set up a folding table for a launch pad & went to it , must have went to a half doz. Towers checking them . Towers here are made of reinforced Cement , not steel .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20