Critically low battery

Reaction score
My P3A batt. is set for low warn 25% and crit. at 14. Landed with 22% remaining and shut down. Now i always restart eng for cool down and to bring batt. to 10 or 8% while reviewing pics or vids. The bird now shuts itself off at crit. setting. Did not know this. I remember letting the bird cool to at least 10% and shutting it off myself. ??????

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I don't understand why you would want to increase the critical level above minimum default? All you have effectively done is reduced your breathing space, admittedly by only 4% but it could be the difference between making it home or not.

Also- is there a particular reason why you like to run your battery down so low after landing?

Please upload one of your TXT flight logs here and post a link back here. This might make more sense if we can see the actual data.

I run the batteries down for cycle reasons I guess my question is that normal for the birds to shut down automatically at critical level instead of return to home

It's not normal. The battery should not shut off until the first cell reaches 3.0V.

Please copy the link from my log viewer back here. Otherwise, I (and anyone else who wants to review them) will not be able to access them.

Got it. I thought you meant the battery was shutting off.

I don't run my Phantoms on the ground for long periods of time like that, so I don't know what the expected behavior should be. Did this start happening after upgrading the firmware and/or DJI GO?

Try temporarily reverting back to 3.0.0.

Try temporarily reverting back to 3.0.0.
Mike cant find where or how to revert. Using android. Anyway flew tonight and play with crit. setting. The motors do shut down at crit. set point. I had the rc on the grnd and was at 20% somewhere between 20% and 14% i got the prompt low batt rth in 10 sec. Then at 14 exactly the motors shut off. At ghis time tried to restart motors. Got a message batt crit low cannot start. Now i moved the slider to 12% crit. got the low batt warning again and was able to start motors. Thats got to be dji go and this is now the norm. I hope the shut down is triggerd by stable and on the grnd condition. Sorry to be wordy

The Phantom will auto land when the battery reaches the critically low level. I never let my battery get that low when flying, so I don't know if the props shut off after landing or not. I'm assuming they do. Perhaps your Phantom is going through that same process. But, instead of landing, it just shuts off the motors since it's already on the ground.

Reading with great interest. I know you can't restart after autoland so this is making sense.

Most people would not have observed this behaviour as they don't run the batteries close to full depletion.

I would suggest you set your critical point to lowest setting to give a little extra safety margin and avoid consistently trying to drain every last mah out if your packs. You will get more charge cycles as a result.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31