Critical Battery warning when it's not?

M

Melvoid

So, it's in the mid 40s here today and I thought I'd go shoot an old water tower. My batteries were all in the 50-60% area, so first, I thought I'd just fly around and run them down, then charge them up before we went. Well, put the first one in... high 50s or low 60. It hovered for a few moments (while showing me a good percentage and 8+ minutes of flying time left), but the lights turned red, got a critical power warning, and it landed itself. It was only 4' up and about 8' away, so no biggie. But the battery reading still said hi 50s. Tried second battery. Pretty much the same. Third, worked fine and I flew it until the low 30s.

Home now. Charging up the battery that worked and fooling with the others. Took the props off and ran it in the house. No problems or warnings. PUt the props back on, took it outside, and back to the warnings and auto landing.

It's not cold out, but kinda cool and a little breezy. Could that be it?

Oh, as soon as the battery that worked is done charging, I'm going to try it again.

Also, I did the thing where you hold the battery button to see what shape it's in, and they're all showing 4 bars.

Any ideas?

thanks

Any ideas?
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

I need to learn about the text flight log. I'm using an iPad (and I'm not an apple person), and it's not using an active service... no subscription. We got other phones and shut this one down. I also used my android for a couple flights, so if you can tell me where to look for the log, that would help. Probably on the phone, right?

You can find instructions here.

OK, figured it out. Several files because I had several short flights. Picked one of the earlier attempts and there IS one line in there that says the battery was below 15 degrees Celsius. I'll see if I can upload it for you guys to have a look.

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.
Did it show up?

You need to post the link back here after you upload your flight log.

My batteries were all in the 50-60% area, so first, I thought I'd just fly around and run them down, then charge them up before we went. Well, put the first one in... high 50s or low 60. It hovered for a few moments (while showing me a good percentage and 8+ minutes of flying time left), but the lights turned red, got a critical power warning, and it landed itself.
You haven't posted any links to flight data but from your description, it seems that your problem is the same one discussed in this thread:
Auto landing without good reason Litchi

Never launch with partially discharged batteries that have been sitting around.
The % indication will be false. It's the voltage that matters.

As always, thanks for the quick replies. And I never use my phone, always the iPad... but today, the iPad was discharged so I used my phone and that's the only way I had access to the flight logs.

The Quad Gods are watching over me. I took the one that was working and went to an old water tower and flew around it. About the check out the pictures now.

OK, sorry I'm so slow with this, but it's the first time I've dealt with the flight records. What format do you want the log posted in? I see CSV (I know what that is), and a few other choices.

OK, sorry I'm so slow with this, but it's the first time I've dealt with the flight records. What format do you want the log posted in? I see CSV (I know what that is), and a few other choices.
The way to post flight data is to copy and post a link to the report that Phantomhelp gives:
i-cJ4pmvd-L.jpg

The way to post flight data is to copy and post a link to the report that Phantomhelp gives:
i-cJ4pmvd-L.jpg
I will give it another go and try to get that thing uploaded, but just FYAI (Just for Y'all's Information), I charged up all three batteries and had no problems whatsoever with them yesterday in temps of just over 50°F, so I think that semi-charged issue was... uh... the issue.

As always, thank for the speedy feedback.

ms

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl