Crashed my P3S within the first 30 minutes - new record?

Reaction score
Hi .*,

I thought I might as well start my saying “hi” here with an account of my arguably brightest moment flying my new P3S, which I just had received on Monday. I had never flown anything (except one of those $15 infrared-controlled coaxial mini indoor helicopters, which doesn’t really count), but thought myself reasonably adept at picking things up (“what can possibly go wrong?”).

Turns out flying this thing really is simpler than I thought. I started out with all the precautions (read the manual, followed the checklists, found a wide open space to practice), but on the second battery into my P3S’s maiden flight I started having too much fun and got a bit carried away.

Let’s just say that I experimentally verified that just because the camera can clear an obstacle doesn’t mean the entire quadcopter can.

So while I may not be setting the record with a crash after 30 minutes of flight time, I must be close.

Don’t get me wrong, this was no one’s fault but mine alone for not being careful enough (and there was no one except me within a hundred yards that could have gotten hurt). Knowing myself I had also outfitted the P3 with prop guards - and made sure I start trying out this new hobby with a refurbished unit instead of splurging for the high-end model (we get wiser with age, don’t we?).

The damage from the circa-six-foot-fall onto concrete (*wince*) was a broken prop guard, four scratched propellers (from turning while upside down on the concrete floor), an unclipped section of the body (which snapped right back in), a small scratch on one of the motors, and what I think is a slightly bent roll motor axis on the gimbal which means that the roll arm points ever so slightly downwards. The gimbal calibrates fine, and the image is as good as before - I guess, the slightly bent axis either doesn’t show or is compensated by the gimbal’s pitch motor. No shaking or rattling, either, just the regular high-pitched noise the gimbal always makes. The motors also turn without unusual vibrations or noise (tried without props).

Guess I was lucky.

My only question would be: is there anything else besides what I’ve tested (and obviously replacing the propellers) that I could do to be sure within reason that the thing is still safe to fly? And should I worry about trying to repair the motor axis, or just live with it (as I said, camera operation does not seem to be affected)?

Thanks in advance for you help, tips, or affirmations of my boundless stupidity.

Before I got my phantom 3 standard, I bought one of these cheesy $50 bucks drone just to experience the mechanism in how they work. Once I got the experience I needed then I purchased the standard. I got it for almost a year without any issue and flying great. The point that I try to make is that when you never have experience in something, try to buy the cheapest similar product just to get some experience first. In your case, try to power on the aircraft and turn on the props to see if there any damage, the app will tell you if something, maybe internally is affected.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
First I get impression that you watched the screen thinking the camera view showed it would clear the obstacle ? Big mistake !! DJI P3 is NOT a good FPV machine whatever people say ...

The video lag is enough that AC has been and passed point you see ... so always try to watch the actual AC itself unless you fly out of visual ... then make sure you are at good height to not hit anything.

My house and grounds have plenty of trees and I always make sure I am well clear in height whenever I pass over them ... second - I do not trust video display to show me where it is at that precise moment ... I always try to visually check the AC itself ... more than once I have found myself closer to a branch etc. than display shows ...

OK - you've checked it all and all seems to be working ? So why fix what aint broke ? If you can live with the bent gimbal arm ... then fine.

The suggestion to buy and practice with a cheap multi is not bad advice ... but note that they fly erratic and far more challenging to fly than the P3.
I think you could persevere with the P3 ... but from now on - make sure you watch the AC and not just the display ...

We have a saying in RC flying : "2 mistakes high". That means that any flight to test / learn / train / whatever - you fly at 2x the height and clearance needed ... it has saved many a model !

Nigel

Lucky chap really. I was watching my tablet and not the drone trying to get a sideways clip of a boat on the river. Thought the drone was a good distance from it, but it wasn't. Splash! Gone. only had it a couple of months. Got another tho' and keep an eye on it.
I agree with all the above comments from Nigel.

You’re all totally right, of course - and thanks for the kind advice! Sorry to hear about the one lost in the river, that must really have hurt (especially you also lost the SD card with the footage).

So I’ve learned that a) a Phantom is not a good FPV drone, b) don’t fly it near structures, especially not while looking at the screen, and c) it could have been a lot worse (also thanks for posting the videos illustrating that). Also good that I didn’t spend more than $325 on it - though I probably wouldn’t have flown it where I did if it had cost $1400...

I guess I’ll get a cheap toy drone (FPV or not) to practise and fly against walls, and use the Phantom as the photography tool for wide open spaces that it was built for (and that I bought it for, too). Dang that it’s so much fun to fly already, otherwise I wouldn’t even have tried what I did.

Oh, and I did know how to shut it off one it crashed... ;)

Thanks all, and I hope to have something more constructive to contribute in the future.

Nope on the new record. Crashed my Standard right out of the box, first flight at around 10 seconds. Fortunately I hand on prop guards. Obviously operator error as I overcorrected and scooted it right into a fir tree at around 15 feet up (I was trying to hover). I got our my limb pole and hooked one of the guards and lifted it right out & down. Had to replace one prop as a small branch punched up and got it. Nothing hurt but my pride. Lesson learned: If you are a new pilot focus on your flying, not conversing with the wife about after dinner plans ....................... ;)

The last one with the girl and curtains was hilarious!

Yes, extremely hilarious but scary - It could have been 'curtains' for her!

I really don't want to search for skin piercing accidents with drones as there must be some nightmare inducing footage out there!

I wonder also how many novices haven't read that the obstacle avoidance is automatically turned off when prop guards are installed?

One thing to also check... Look at the motor from the top and where the gaps are you will see copper wire. If it's black it needs replacing. Should be OK tho. Mine crashed last month on a hotel and I didn't know it was upside down, so I started to try and take off... Little did I know it was upside down and the motor span so fast that the top of the props got melted lol. But no burnt out copper wire on the motor so you should be good to go. these things are tough. The same drone that night also got 14 hours of non stop heavy rain pouring inside its vents when it was upside down and still turned on... 24 hours later it was flying again and the same battery at the time is still being used . [emoji4]

I think you will be ok, just take it to an empty field, hover at a low height (about waist height) for a few mins... Then go from there [emoji4]

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl