Crash!!!

Reaction score
When trying to land the P3 Pro, i successfully grounded it and pulled in on the sticks to power down. Powered down for a sec and started back up! Flew into the side of a dumpster and i tried to grab it after it hit. Props still spinning. Put a gash in my right index finger middle knuckle, cut my arm, and a tiny cut on my nose. I was trying to minimize the damage after it hit the dumpster but ended up damaging myself LOL. Luckily not a scratch on the Phantom but multiple scratches on me!. Broke 3 props. The DJI E300 carbon ones with white stripes which I bought at time of purchase from the store as they told me they were compatible. Noticed increased flight time. Or is it me? Anyways just wanted to share my experience.

Perhaps it did not power down the whole way. To power down the motors, it's best (and safest) to hold down the left stick for 3-5 seconds after landing.

You should only use the 9450 E310 props.

Last edited:
Hmmm wonder why they told me the E300 is compatible. There are no E310 carbon thou.

Sounds like you need to read the manual again. To land you slowly pull the left stick down until the P3 makes contact with the ground. Then you pull the left stick down completely for 3 seconds until the motors turn off.

You do not use the right stick at all to power down the P3. Pulling both sticks down will cause it to go crazy.

Reactions: Bigdz
Sounds like you need to read the manual again. To land you slowly pull the left stick down until the P3 makes contact with the ground. Then you pull the left stick down completely for 3 seconds until the motors turn off.

You do not use the right stick at all to power down the P3. Pulling both sticks down will cause it to go crazy.
Ahhhhhh. I guess thats why it happened. With the P2 that is the way to power down. Question....If I am landing while in the air 50ft and i hold down the left one, will it shut off in the air? Does it know that it isnt descending? You know what I mean?

My f up. I remember seeing that but I guess Im used to the P2

Ahhhhhh. I guess thats why it happened. With the P2 that is the way to power down. Question....If I am landing while in the air 50ft and i hold down the left one, will it shut off in the air? Does it know that it isnt descending? You know what I mean?

I know what you mean. No the motors will not shut off.

When you make contact with the ground and hold the left stick down it takes 3 seconds for the motors to turn off. This is because the P3 senses it is not descending anymore and knows it is safe to turn off.

Yikes!

Sorry about the crash and glad you're alright. The P3 is very powerful as you found out.

I would suggest after you land, shut down the motors by only the throttle stick in the full down position. The motors will only stop if the bird is stationary for about 3 seconds.

Oh, and lose the C/F props. Plastic ones can do enough damage.

Hand catching wouldn't have made a difference in this scenario. Not knowing how to shut the motors off was the problem and would still happen if he were attempting a hand catch. The P3 lands perfectly on the ground each and every time I have landed it. No hand catching.

I know what you mean. No the motors will not shut off.

When you make contact with the ground and hold the left stick down it takes 3 seconds for the motors to turn off. This is because the P3 senses it is not descending anymore and knows it is safe to turn off.
I hope so LOL. I just tried and it landed fine and powered down. But I was a little scared to hold down the left stick all the way down while in the air so I held it down 3/4 of the way while descending LOL

When trying to land the P3 Pro, i successfully grounded it and pulled in on the sticks to power down. Powered down for a sec and started back up! Flew into the side of a dumpster and i tried to grab it after it hit. Props still spinning. Put a gash in my right index finger middle knuckle, cut my arm, and a tiny cut on my nose. I was trying to minimize the damage after it hit the dumpster but ended up damaging myself LOL. Luckily not a scratch on the Phantom but multiple scratches on me!. Broke 3 props. The DJI E300 carbon ones with white stripes which I bought at time of purchase from the store as they told me they were compatible. Noticed increased flight time. Or is it me? Anyways just wanted to share my experience.

You don't pull both sticks. You only pull down the left 1 for about 3 seconds once landed. This sounds like user error. The way you describe the scenario sounds exactly like what would happen if you use both sticks to power down or what happened is it did power down and you holding the sticks in the CSC position caused it to power back up. I never heard of using CSC for landing. Definitely sounds like user error.

How to land and turn off the motors is the same on the P2 and P3. So if you were doing this to land your P2, you were doing it incorrectly. Only the left stick us used. You can perform a CSC by pressing both sticks down and into the left left corner for the right stick and lower right corner for the left stick. However, you should not land like this.

Instead of grabbing an out of control Phantom, you wanted to have done a CSC.

You may want to read the manuals again and/or watch some video on landing.

You also only want to use props with composite hubs, not metal. Ones with metal hubs could be spun off during flight on the P3.

Reactions: Stan_in_KS
I hope so LOL. I just tried and it landed fine and powered down. But I was a little scared to hold down the left stick all the way down while in the air so I held it down 3/4 of the way while descending LOL

I never go 100% full left stick down. I always descend slowly.

Put a gash in my right index finger middle knuckle, cut my arm, and a tiny cut on my nose. I was trying to minimize the damage after it hit the dumpster but ended up damaging myself LOL. Luckily not a scratch on the Phantom but multiple scratches on me!

Thank Goodness the P3 wasn't harmed! You can alway get a new hand and nose but those P3's are nearly impossible to replace! Trust me...I'm still waiting for my 1st 1 to arrive. And don't get me started on the batteries! ;)

Reactions: isopro
LOL - glad you are relatively unharmed.

Back in the day I worked backstage at a large theatre. Sometimes there would be a wall or door that just seemed to be in the wrong place and actors would continually run into them. We had two statements (depending on if we liked that actor)
1. Don't break the set, ACTORS HEAL but sets are hard to build
or
2. Your understudy paid us to put it there

In this case we might say: Pilots HEAL, Phantoms have to wait for parts!

I never go 100% full left stick down. I always descend slowly.

Right on, I descend slowly too. Once you get to about 1 foot from the ground there is a little air pocket from the air getting pushed down by the propellers so you have to push a little bit harder 1 foot from ground.

Ouch, sorry to hear, have you considered "the catcher landing", bring your P3 at above head level hover then grabbing one of the legs, hold it away from your body then powering down the p3 once it becomes limp and props stops spinning slowly drop in an outwards motion down. I prefer doing this rather than full feet landing, one it takes to long to land two, it avoids tip overs, three once your hand is on the leg it won't jump away from you.

Firstly, Shatty? I did the same thing last evening - (apart from the attempted amputation of your hand)
I landed on the lawn and my beloved P3P cartwheeled along the ground.

So I take on board what Kman and others have said about the method of just holding down left stick 3 seconds.THANKS!

However, two contradictions,
The manual does state, the standard CSC as we know it is accepted method of shut down.
AND performing a CSC in midair will stop motors?

So guys dont wave the finger and say "ya should have read the manual" if its pertinent is in fact
wrong!

Reactions: Rider82

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.