Crash!!!

When trying to land the P3 Pro, i successfully grounded it and pulled in on the sticks to power down. Powered down for a sec and started back up! Flew into the side of a dumpster and i tried to grab it after it hit. Props still spinning. Put a gash in my right index finger middle knuckle, cut my arm, and a tiny cut on my nose. I was trying to minimize the damage after it hit the dumpster but ended up damaging myself LOL. Luckily not a scratch on the Phantom but multiple scratches on me!. Broke 3 props. The DJI E300 carbon ones with white stripes which I bought at time of purchase from the store as they told me they were compatible. Noticed increased flight time. Or is it me? Anyways just wanted to share my experience.
Hand catch.....tight grip....

Firstly, Shatty? I did the same thing last evening - (apart from the attempted amputation of your hand)
I landed on the lawn and my beloved P3P cartwheeled along the ground.

So I take on board what Kman and others have said about the method of just holding down left stick 3 seconds.THANKS!

However, two contradictions,
The manual does state, the standard CSC as we know it is accepted method of shut down.
AND performing a CSC in midair will stop motors?

So guys dont wave the finger and say "ya should have read the manual" if its pertinent is in fact
wrong!
Good point,
CSC to stop; I remember seeing that in the quick start guide, and thought that would cause tip-overs. Best practice is throttle all the way down after landing or hand catching.

CSC midair will stop the motors.

Reactions: Gearie
When I had the P2 V+ v3, I believe the correct method to land it was left stick down and right and right stick down and left. Maybe I was doing it wrong the whole time? I could have sworn I saw that in the manual. And I also did read the manual for the P3 and I forgot the correct way is to hold down the left for 3 secs. Old habit I guess. But I have used the P3 many times since the 1st post and yes I got the hang of it now. Thanks guys.

Edit...just took a quick glance online at something....CSC to start motors, left down for 3 secs to stop. BUT from the past with the P2, CSC also shut the motors off. I did have a tip over or 2 with the P2 landing but this tells me I was doing it wrong the whole time. I guess that me being too anxious and skipping over the important stuff and not taking the time. LOL

How to land and turn off the motors is the same on the P2 and P3. So if you were doing this to land your P2, you were doing it incorrectly. Only the left stick us used. You can perform a CSC by pressing both sticks down and into the left left corner for the right stick and lower right corner for the left stick. However, you should not land like this.

Instead of grabbing an out of control Phantom, you wanted to have done a CSC.

You may want to read the manuals again and/or watch some video on landing.

You also only want to use props with composite hubs, not metal. Ones with metal hubs could be spun off during flight on the P3.

As far as the metal ones which you are referring to, I had to use the tool to remove them from the motors. As with the original ones that came with it I could take off with my hand. These things were on super tight. Since we are discussing props now....the guy at the store told me the E300 were compatible with the P3 and someone on here said to use the E310. The E310 are not CF. The E300 are CF reinforced. So what props should I use that are CF. Money is not an object because they dont cost much. I watched a youtube video on CF props and the comparisons. Since that video was made, new props were produced. Obviously I want hi quality balanced ones. Any recommendations? And what about the tri and quad props?

I know what you mean. No the motors will not shut off.

When you make contact with the ground and hold the left stick down it takes 3 seconds for the motors to turn off. This is because the P3 senses it is not descending anymore and knows it is safe to turn off.

There is a note in the OM that says you can shut it down while airborne by doing the CSC. Not gonna try it but worth investigating...

Pg 46 Warning, " Do not perform a CSC when the aircraft is in midair, otherwise the motors will suddenly stop."

As far as the metal ones which you are referring to, I had to use the tool to remove them from the motors. As with the original ones that came with it I could take off with my hand. These things were on super tight. Since we are discussing props now....the guy at the store told me the E300 were compatible with the P3 and someone on here said to use the E310. The E310 are not CF. The E300 are CF reinforced. So what props should I use that are CF. Money is not an object because they dont cost much. I watched a youtube video on CF props and the comparisons. Since that video was made, new props were produced. Obviously I want hi quality balanced ones. Any recommendations? And what about the tri and quad props?
I think I found my answer about the E300 props...they are 9443s and I should only use 9450s.

I'm not a hand catcher as I like the skill of softly landing on the ground and if I do hand catch its once in a while when I cannot find a clear level spot to land safely.

But is part of this tale not another example of why hand catching is potentially quite dangerous as it only takes a gust of wind, slip of the hand or a failure of some sort to have those spinning propellers coming at you? I'm not criticising, just wondering whether people consider it when deciding on the hand catch option.

I think I found my answer about the E300 props...they are 9443s and I should only use 9450s.
The E300 props come in 9443 and 9450...just because they say 9450 does not confirm they are correct for the P3. 94xx refers to the diameter and pitch.
Screenshot_2015-05-17-02-00-43.png
Screenshot_2015-05-17-01-59-19.png

Lots of confusion and misunderstanding in this thread.
Reading the manual would clear up a lot of it.
You can stop the motors either way .. exactly as you could with the P2.
That hasn't changed.
i-ZhRNmjb-L.jpg

I never go 100% full left stick down. I always descend slowly.
DJI already make Phantoms descend slowly. No need to go even slower.

Since we are discussing props now....the guy at the store told me the E300 were compatible with the P3 and someone on here said to use the E310. The E310 are not CF. The E300 are CF reinforced. So what props should I use that are CF. Money is not an object because they dont cost much. I watched a youtube video on CF props and the comparisons. Since that video was made, new props were produced. Obviously I want hi quality balanced ones. Any recommendations? And what about the tri and quad props?

Be careful with what you believe.
The "guy at the store" or someone on Youtube of even this forum could easily be completely wrong.
Dont\'t try to "upgrade" your props.
The concept of upgrading seems to be very attractive to a lot of users but the DJI engineers are very clever and actually know what they are doing and have equipped the P3 with the best props for the job.
If improving performance was as simple as swapping props, DJI would have already done it.
Original props designed for the P3 are going to be significantly better than aftermarket add-ons.

When trying to land the P3 Pro, i successfully grounded it and pulled in on the sticks to power down. Powered down for a sec and started back up! Flew into the side of a dumpster and i tried to grab it after it hit. Props still spinning. Put a gash in my right index finger middle knuckle, cut my arm, and a tiny cut on my nose. I was trying to minimize the damage after it hit the dumpster but ended up damaging myself LOL. Luckily not a scratch on the Phantom but multiple scratches on me!. Broke 3 props. The DJI E300 carbon ones with white stripes which I bought at time of purchase from the store as they told me they were compatible. Noticed increased flight time. Or is it me? Anyways just wanted to share my experience.
My Phantom 3 did the same thing today - unfortunately mine ended up in a pool not the dumpster.

My Phantom 3 did the same thing today - unfortunately mine ended up in a pool not the dumpster.
EDIT - after reading your post again - I need to say - at least my Phantom 3 didn't cut me - sorry to hear about that!

But not sure if mine will work again. Going to wait another 10 hours before I try to start it again. Was on the bottom of the pool for about 30 seconds...
Seems like a dangerous glitch! After mine was landed it took off like a rocket ... seriously dangerous!

Lots of confusion and misunderstanding in this thread.
Reading the manual would clear up a lot of it.
You can stop the motors either way .. exactly as you could with the P2.
That hasn't changed.
i-ZhRNmjb-L.jpg

DJI already make Phantoms descend slowly. No need to go even slower.

I always just hold the left stick down for 3 seconds to power off but is the confusion that you have to first pull left stick down, then while down slide it to the corner while doing the same on the right stick? Are people just landing, letting it idle with the sticks centred then pulling straight down to the corners and this is causing the Phantom to spin around?

No .. you're talking about combining the two methods from the section of the manual quoted above.

There are two methods .. use one or the other.
Left stick down avoids any tendency to tip the Phantom on the ground.
CSC is good for emergency stopping.

....Are people just landing, letting it idle with the sticks centred then pulling straight down to the corners and this is causing the Phantom to spin around?

In my case I was landing the phantom and it appeared that 2 props shut down and the other 2 props went to max speed which caused it to "shoot" off to the side.

That was attempting to land and turning off rotors with single stick down position

No .. you're talking about combining the two methods from the section of the manual quoted above.

There are two methods .. use one or the other.
Left stick down avoids any tendency to tip the Phantom on the ground.
CSC is good for emergency stopping.

No - I think you are missing your own point. Look at the instructions, method 1, two steps

1. Throttle all the way down
2. Move to CSC position

Method 2, one step

1. Hold throttle down for 3 seconds

I generally use the hand catch method but you need a lanyard attached so you can hold the controller comfortably in one hand. I have also landed on the ground and on one occasion after landing it did take off again but I had not attempted to shut it down, it only went up about a foot and was still easy for me to control. I did wonder why this had happened as when you start the phantom on the floor it will happily stay put until you want to take off. My advice would be as soon as it has landed keep the left stick down until the props have stopped.

With regards to CSC I have read a few threads on here and someone posted a video of this being performed whilst the Phantom was in the air... needless to say it dropped straight out of the sky...:oops:

The P3 is more stable on its gear than the P2, but I still mostly hand catch. Especially if there are wind gusts.

Just keep it above your head, stay up wind, and do not panic. IIRC that is rule number 10 in the P2 flight manual. LOL

There is a note in the OM that says you can shut it down while airborne by doing the CSC. Not gonna try it but worth investigating...

Pg 46 Warning, " Do not perform a CSC when the aircraft is in midair, otherwise the motors will suddenly stop."

Nothing to investigate>

if you do a full CSC in flight you are dropping like a rock!

if you pull left control all way down the motors will not shut off in flight.... but will upon a 3 second stop after landing.

P2, P1 P3 all stop & start same way(s)

I generally use the hand catch method but you need a lanyard attached so you can hold the controller comfortably in one hand. I have also landed on the ground and on one occasion after landing it did take off again but I had not attempted to shut it down, it only went up about a foot and was still easy for me to control. I did wonder why this had happened as when you start the phantom on the floor it will happily stay put until you want to take off.

My advice would be as soon as it has landed keep the left stick down until the props have stopped.
ABSOLUTLEY DO THIS it can restart flight otherwise

With regards to CSC I have read a few threads on here and someone posted a video of this being performed whilst the Phantom was in the air... needless to say it dropped straight out of the sky...:oops:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31