Crash landing or land and then crash...

Reaction score
So here I was on my 12th flight with my P3P. I have quite a bit of experience flying smaller drones but not with something GPS and systems aided like the P3P. I was trying to land on a boardwalk style bridge over a stream and as I pulled down on the stick it touched down gently but then there was a burst of power so one leg lifted and it rolled into the water.

15 seconds later it was out and off. Now chilling in rice.

I looked at the data and I was 100% down with no other inputs.

Anybody knows what happened?

Did the opticals make it freak out?

Is it because I landed lower then my original take off point?

Loosing 1500$(maybe not fingers crossed) is one thing but not knowing why is hard to accept.

I have had mine do the same thing a couple of times although it never turned over. It just resettled. Also wondered what could be happening. I always try to land on flat solid ground.

It's difficult to tell what caused this but landing close to danger is something to avoid and as mentioned above, a good reason to hand catch.
Definitely not a factor. The elevation of your landing point makes no difference to your Phantom.

hover it few inch above your landing site, then drop it by pushing the throttle all the way down. If it is windy, hover over the target, wait for the wind to calm down before landing.

Reactions: GunnyPapa
I have ALWAYS used hand catch. Ever since my very first flight.
Good luck with your Phantom. Never mind the rice - a nice warm room with a fan heater will dry it out nicely - donbt put it too close to the P3 and remove the battery of course.

hover it few inch above your landing site, then drop it by pushing the throttle all the way down. If it is windy, hover over the target, wait for the wind to calm down before landing.

I did let it hover but there was a bit of wind.

this is what I did when I got home
12363052_10153097507411256_5988805715974334245_o.jpg

Its nice and hot to the touch

I'd like to be stating there myself....lol

I believe this could be the right way to land. Ensure throttle is pulled down straight, an angle to it might try to turn P3 and eventually tip it over.

Reactions: ranges
So here I was on my 12th flight with my P3P. I have quite a bit of experience flying smaller drones but not with something GPS and systems aided like the P3P. I was trying to land on a boardwalk style bridge over a stream and as I pulled down on the stick it touched down gently but then there was a burst of power so one leg lifted and it rolled into the water.

15 seconds later it was out and off. Now chilling in rice.

I looked at the data and I was 100% down with no other inputs.

Anybody knows what happened?

Did the opticals make it freak out?

Loosing 1500$(maybe not fingers crossed) is one thing but not knowing why is hard to accept.
If you provide the .DAT file for that flight more can be determined about the cause of the incident.

If you provide the .DAT file for that flight more can be determined about the cause of the incident.

Where is that .DAT file? Because if it's on the drone I'm not turning that thing on until I get it pulled apart and clean. I'll eventuly post it here.

The .DAT is on the drone itself. Let me know if you decide to retrieve it at some point.

By the way boys, the drone is fine. I pulled it all apart and made sure everything was dry. Everything looks fully functional. It must have spent 10 to 15 seconds fully submerged in water.

here's a pic of my test flight

Reactions: egg1000 and Bill S

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic