Crash landing or land and then crash...

The only time I flipped was on a slight incline and with a gust off wind when powering up. Was the landing surface completly flat? Note that if you can prove the bird crashed without your input you stand a good chance that DJI will be reasonable or at the very least give you a discount. I've seen threads where people could fly after a rice treatment but also heard about an exploding battery when reusing after it had been in water so be carefull and do not charge it unattended..

It is very easy to accidentally pull the throttle /rudder stick to the side a bit when pulling/holding down shutting down the motors. This is pilot error, not a problem with the ship. I have done it a few times but avoided a tip over luckily. Really need to focus on that action to avoid the occurrence. A 'hand catch is safer.

It is very easy to accidentally pull the throttle /rudder stick to the side a bit when pulling/holding down shutting down the motors. This is pilot error, not a problem with the ship. I have done it a few times but avoided a tip over luckily. Really need to focus on that action to avoid the occurrence. A 'hand catch is safer.
Didn't they say that the logs showed 100% down input?

I know my bird did the 'bounce' the first two time's I lowered it. So since then I lower it even slower and let it hover right above the ground for a few seconds before taking it down. This prevents the bounce.

When you get close to the ground the flight dynamics change due to 'ground effect'. I believe going to a low hover before landing as you discovered is the trick to smooth touch downs.

Using the dashware profiles that @Luap created the following video was made
This is the last 3 seconds of the flight.

A more detailed (higher sampling rate) can be seen by looking at the following plots.
upload_2015-12-21_13-6-35.png

The x axis is labelled with the number of seconds since the battery was turned on. The "incident" happened at about 308.8. Up until about 308.7 the right control stick was inputing about 20% right aileron. Then, starting at 308.7 right aileron was increased to about 45% at time 308.2. As a result the A/C started rolling to the to right to 45 degrees at time 308.3. The right aileron was removed at this point and the A/C started rolling back to 25 degrees, but, then resuming rolling right (with no aileron input) until it reached 80 dgerees at time 308.8. At this point 45% left aileron was applied and the A/C rolled left to about -50 degrees.

The elevator, throttle, and rudder inputs are seen here
upload_2015-12-21_13-18-58.png

Until about 308.4 the throttle input was negative, consistent with losing altitude to land. From 308.4 until 308.85 these three inputs were neutral (the aileron was positive as per the above plot). At 308.85 the throttle climbed to 100% and the elevator went to 55%.

The pitch and roll are seen here
upload_2015-12-21_13-28-24.png

At first glance it may appear that the A/C "pitched up" 150 degrees resulting in upside down inverted flight. However, looking at the gyro data shows that most likely A/C rolled over to inverted flight.

Motor speed data shows the A/C trying to right itself from the right roll at 308.8
upload_2015-12-21_13-34-8.png

where the right front motor speed increases and the left front motor speed decreases, resulting the negative torque required to roll left.

I wasn't there but I'll speculate that right aileron was being applied to move the A/C to the desired landing spot. When even more right aileron was applied the A/C began to roll. An aileron correction then applied was not enough to arrest the roll. It's unclear why the A/C continued to roll to the point of inverted flight. Maybe, as @SportPilotAviation conjectured ground effect could be a contributing factor. To see how close to the ground the A/C was consider this plot
upload_2015-12-21_13-51-25.png

VPS information is still being figured out. The ultrasonic height sensor is always on and there is another signal that shows when the data is reliable. In this case it's reliable up until 308.658. This plot then shows the A/C decending to about 4.8 inches and then increasing to 14 inches before the VPS height becomes unreliable.

These plots were created with Excel using a .csv generated from the .DAT. The tool used to generate the .csv, DatConverter, can be obtained from Fly.zip Once installed use the command
DatConverter -f FLY023.DAT -c Incident -t {184319:}
to create the .csv used here.
If you want to create the Dashware result use the command
DatConverter -f FLY023.DAT
The plots presented are part of a FLY023.xls file that is in the attached FLY023xls.zip file

Hope this helps. Lemme know if you have any questions.

Reactions: Russell Trahan
Thanks a lot BudWalker.

I gotta learn how to mine and interpret this data. Thats just great.

The weird thing to me is that I've done similar landings with helicopters or drones, but I've never flown with system aiding or controlling part of the action like it seems the P3P is doing. I can clearly remember the A/C not coming down proportional to my inputs. I can see from the data that I was fighting the wind and trying the get the A/C down faster and not as straight as it would have liked. Once I saw it bounce on one leg I tried to gun it but it was already rolling into the river. Guess I'll have to learn...

oh and the camera is fine, it was just a bad pic because I didn't charge the battery before test flying and only had it in the air for a minute, and I hadn't cleaned the lens even on this pic, but its fine

DJI_0020.JPG

I now consider it waterproof!!!

Reactions: dottat4
Thanks a lot BudWalker.

I gotta learn how to mine and interpret this data. Thats just great.

The weird thing to me is that I've done similar landings with helicopters or drones, but I've never flown with system aiding or controlling part of the action like it seems the P3P is doing. I can clearly remember the A/C not coming down proportional to my inputs. I can see from the data that I was fighting the wind and trying the get the A/C down faster and not as straight as it would have liked. Once I saw it bounce on one leg I tried to gun it but it was already rolling into the river. Guess I'll have to learn...

oh and the camera is fine, it was just a bad pic because I didn't charge the battery before test flying and only had it in the air for a minute, and I hadn't cleaned the lens even on this pic, but its fine

DJI_0020.JPG

I now consider it waterproof!!!
She's so interested! Gotta get her one next!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I have had surges with my P3 and never with my two P2s. I think it has to do with yanking both sticks too quickly into the the lower center position. When I can remember, I try and pull power all the way down and then slip the left stick to 4oclock, hold and pull the right stick to 7. I think that works better for me.

<<< Warning >>>
Not sure if this was meant as a joke but doing this will crash your Phantom

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had surges with my P3 and never with my two P2s. I think it has to do with yanking both sticks too quickly into the the lower center position. When I can remember, I try and pull power all the way down and then slip the left stick to 4oclock, hold and pull the right stick to 7. I think that works better for me.
The configuration you stated is a CSC. That will give a sudden but very brief acceleration before shutting the motors down. A CSC is for an emergency shut down.

I believe this could be the right way to land. Ensure throttle is pulled down straight, an angle to it might try to turn P3 and eventually tip it over.
Holding the throttle down at an angle can only cause the P3 to rotate laterally as it lands. That could cause it to catch on something and tip, but not tip before contact.

I was just watching some YouTube videos and came across a video by Simon Newton that talks about tip overs during landing. He suggests only using left stick down to shut off the Phantom as using CSC causing a quick motor rev up that could result in tipping. Not sure if that helps.

Hi Guys. Iam new on here but great to be here to learn.
Tip over when landing. I have done this twice but luckily had prop guards installed.
Hand catch is better yes.

But to stop tip over when landing and you touch ground only pull back throttle and hold for 3 seconds and motors will stop.

Check out this Youtube vid where I learned from.

Reactions: Arve Horgheim
Great advice. I prefer to land for the thrill of doing it but hand catch is safer for the Phantom

It has to be something with the light bridge tec. Mine does the same thing so I've started catching mine as well it's the easiest way to ensure the safety of ur p3

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20