Crash from 80 feet, total destruction

wow, that is so helpful!
I'm sorry but it's a rtfm moment
b53ad99b8dfae5c65a4a797d95e6bcee.jpg

Here you go, anti csc device.20150613_192954 (2).jpg
thin aluminum held on with double sided foam tape.
FYI, the manual also implies that left control stick down for 3 sec. will shut down the motors in flight which is not true or we all would have crashed.
Course with this you have to use the app to take off.

Wow this csc stuff sounds like it can easily be activated as you go about your flight. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow this csc stuff sounds like it can easily be activated as you go about your flight. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's actually really hard to do a csc manoeuvre in normal flight unless you are flying like a crazy chimp as Meta4 puts it
monkey-drummer.gif

Attachments

• monkey-drummer.gif
    monkey-drummer.gif
    134.3 KB · Views: 339
Reactions: JackFlash-P3P
This has raised a thought for me.
I often "spiral" as I descend in order to reduce the risk of VRE, and I've even done that spiral in reverse, that's fully down and left on the one stick, and fully down on the other. It's only a short step from there to both sticks down and left. Scary thought. In fact, a reverse spiral descent with banking turns would accomplish it, and isn't infeasible at all. A spiral descent is a great way to descend just a bit quicker than using just down on left stick only. I guess I'd better stick to only ever doing them in forward flight, not backward.

Second question, what would the chances be, of a Phantom recovering if you did a CSC shutdown mid-flight, and then a CSC start up? Suppose you'd gone way too high for the remaining battery life, and needed to drop a lot of height fast, but wanted to then start it back up before it crashed, and land it.
Would it reach a velocity that was greater than it's lifting capacity, and therefore not be able to stop its descent, or would it never quite reach that high a velocity as it fell, and be able to recover (given enough initial height)?
I stress this is all theoretical, I have no intention of ever getting high enough to test the theory.

Last edited:
The motors will shut off immediately as soon as the sticks are in the CSC position.

It blows my mind that it is that easy to just shut off the motors in mid air.

Still, I have not heard of any completely confirmed cases of CSC causing a crash. But naturally people suspect it when things like this happens.

What would the chances be, of a Phantom recovering if you did a CSC shutdown mid-flight, and then a CSC start up? Suppose you'd gone way too high for the remaining battery life, and needed to drop a lot of height fast, but wanted to then start it back up before it crashed, and land it.
Yes, that has been shown to work - but not something most flyers want to try.
It's the favoured technique for youtube idiots that fly higher than safe and then find that they don't have enough battery for the descent.
A spiral descent is a great way to descend just a bit quicker than using just down on left stick only.
When you get your P3 and it shows you the vertical speed, I suspect you'll find that it comes down no faster and the vertical component is limited to 3 m/sec regardless of any forward component.

That's a common response from new flyers but experienced flyers know it's not a worry.

I don't worry. But it still blows my mind. Someone who would just throw the sticks around "to see what happens" might hit the CSC. Thats not how I fly, so I'm not worried about myself - but I hate that other people might get a bad experience.

I've flown P2 and P3 for hundreds of flights.

Could you have been doing an intentional rapid descent? I have wondered about that. Getting the stick in the "stop motors" position.

Question from my end. Some thoughts. First of all, CSC makes sense the way it is as you do not have to move your fingers - you have them in place already, not having to think where the kill switch is. I just yesterday had forgotten about which of the two is the camera switch, as I was a bit distracted by my battery, which had been on the charger for three weeks and then in the box (not the bird) was at 65% to start with. That's a story for itself, but I came back from a flying session with just exactly one picture, so for sure I'd not be fast enough to remember where the kill switch is, and also would have to look and take the eyes off the bird.

Next, why not a parachute. Seems these are coming.

About the person suggesting a 3d printed thing, that could actually be cool as an insert for a constant speed 360 slow rotation.

Just my 2c

M

Could you have been doing an intentional rapid descent? I have wondered about that. Getting the stick in the "stop motors" position.
No. I go down full always, and move sideways and back to avoid my own turbulence. But I don't use the stick to go down, I insert my left thumb above the stick and push the stick down while at the same time now being physically unable to do any left or right turn, hence a CSC. That's similar to how I go up without risking the bird to turn.

It's how you start the motors. It also stops them. If you're flying you should know. I believe the page from TFM was posted earlier in this thread.
I don't start the motors like that. I've an app for that. Yes, I'm a noob.

I don't start the motors like that. I've an app for that. Yes, I'm a noob.

Gotcha. I don't have one of those fancy ones with the app.:D

Here you go, anti csc device.View attachment 21882
thin aluminum held on with double sided foam tape.
FYI, the manual also implies that left control stick down for 3 sec. will shut down the motors in flight which is not true or we all would have crashed.
Course with this you have to use the app to take off.
I love it. Do it both ways, and add little spares or holes so that you can block the bird in a certain slow rotation.

Just wow for the simplicity of this hack ☺

Reactions: fhk
I often "spiral" as I descend in order to reduce the risk of VRE, and I've even done that spiral in reverse, that's fully down and left on the one stick, and fully down on the other. It's only a short step from there to both sticks down and left. Scary thought. In fact, a reverse spiral descent with banking turns would accomplish it, and isn't infeasible at all. A spiral descent is a great way to descend just a bit quicker than using just down on left stick only. I guess I'd better stick to only ever doing them in forward flight, not backward.

Second question, what would the chances be, of a Phantom recovering if you did a CSC shutdown mid-flight, and then a CSC start up? Suppose you'd gone way too high for the remaining battery life, and needed to drop a lot of height fast, but wanted to then start it back up before it crashed, and land it.
Would it reach a velocity that was greater than it's lifting capacity, and therefore not be able to stop its descent, or would it never quite reach that high a velocity as it fell, and be able to recover (given enough initial height)?
I stress this is all theoretical, I have no intention of ever getting high enough to test the theory.
So the technical name for your maneuver is CSC - as in Crazy Speed Chimp - descent. Honestly, why spiral and not just bank left right? Also, full down should mostly avoid VRE anyway, but to be sure, I do down full speed and bank a bit left and right.

About your second question. Easy to calculate.

s = 9.81 / 2 * t

for the time in seconds gives you the distance s in meters it will fall.

Some results:

1 s -> 5 m
3 s -> 45 m
5 s -> 125 m
7 s -> 250 m
9 s -> 400 m
10 s -> 500 m

So to recover from a 1500 feet ceiling height, CSC, count to 5 and restart. With the motors taking like 3 seconds to spin up, and your craft stabilizing after a second, you'll hover 100 m above ground.

Notice, this is theory. Your mileage will likely vary.

About your second question. Easy to calculate.

s = 9.81 / 2 * t

for the time in seconds gives you the distance s in meters it will fall.

Some results:

1 s -> 5 m
3 s -> 45 m
5 s -> 125 m
7 s -> 250 m
9 s -> 400 m
10 s -> 500 m

So to recover from a 1500 feet ceiling height, CSC, count to 5 and restart. With the motors taking like 3 seconds to spin up, and your craft stabilizing after a second, you'll hover 100 m above ground.

Notice, this is theory. Your mileage will likely vary.

Bug in the formula. Was meant to be

s = 9.81 / 2 * t^2

Sample numbers were correct though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119