Crash from 80 feet, total destruction

Well for those that are interested, I did this for a local boat/wake board promo. I was very shy after losing my P3A so I only flew up and back the lake, but as you can see leading is much better than chasing. And don't tell me you don't have to use full stick to keep up.

Nice Dalebb Production.
Everything in your footage is smooth. Everyone gives it max stick when flying. What I don't see is any rapid changes in direction whilst moving/chasing, eg moving backwards at max speed with a max banking/roll left or right, nor do I see you descending with any yaw.
Logically, when you max yaw in either direction and max bank/roll in either direction, the footage is useless and the manoeuvre rather nonsensical, so entering CSC accidently in ANY flight is rather difficult.

What Meta means is that there is no need to fully fly backwards rolling left whist fully descending and yawing right. Unless you are Jacky-channing your bird, the manoeuvre is never required for 'normal' flight.
What @Meta4 means is that you really have to be flying like a crazy chimp to pull off a move like that once you know what a csc actually is and does. I'd love to be able to disable csc just to show you how nuts that shot would look like and if anyone out there has a decent drone with decent gimbal/go pro can pull off that shot and say it looks good I'll eat my hat. You'd get a better shot with a go pro hanging from helium baloons spinning at 6000 rpm while being pulled downwards by fishing wire attached to the bottom by a crazy chimp. Please believe us when we say it's a nonsensical manoeuvre.

Reactions: dirkclod and Meta4
Nice Dalebb Production.
Everything in your footage is smooth. Everyone gives it max stick when flying. What I don't see is any rapid changes in direction whilst moving/chasing, eg moving backwards at max speed with a max banking/roll left or right, nor do I see you descending with any yaw.
Logically, when you max yaw in either direction and max bank/roll in either direction, the footage is useless and the manoeuvre rather nonsensical, so entering CSC accidently in ANY flight is rather difficult.
No, I learned my lesson, I can't take the shots I want while flying backwards over water while leading a boat around a corner while dropping from 70' to 30' cause I may over stick and send it with no power into the water. I understand this. But you talk about CSC being so important so that one can cut power if they are going to crash into some one or something, and if that is the the Phantom is out of control already and wont take commands. A Phantom in control, all you have to do is let go of the controls and it will stop, we can go on forever about this. Lets say you do something you should not, like at my house, the airport is just a little over 5 miles away and the take off flights fly right over house. I hear them everyday, I know what time they are coming. What I don't know is that a crop duster is going to come by and they always fly under 500'. So if I see it or hear it I can always shift to the side or go straight up, and/or straight up and to the side, CSC is not an option, who knows what you will hit. How much does it weigh? About 5 Lbs.? What kind of damage would that do? We know what it does to the phantom. What if I had been at such an angle that the Phantom dropping out of the sky hit the driver of that boat and knocked him out? Now we would have a boat out of control.

To the OP, there might have been kids playing out there, or his own kids. My granddaughter always wants to fly with me, what if she had hit the sticks and cut the power? With all the self preservation this bird has you should not be able to drop it out of sky in an instant if you sneeze, have a twitch, the dog jumps on you, or what ever.

To me IMHO CSC is a flaw in programming.
Oh BTW I found some video of normal flight:

Last edited:
What @Meta4 means is that you really have to be flying like a crazy chimp to pull off a move like that once you know what a csc actually is and does. I'd love to be able to disable csc just to show you how nuts that shot would look like and if anyone out there has a decent drone with decent gimbal/go pro can pull off that shot and say it looks good I'll eat my hat. You'd get a better shot with a go pro hanging from helium baloons spinning at 6000 rpm while being pulled downwards by fishing wire attached to the bottom by a crazy chimp. Please believe us when we say it's a nonsensical manoeuvre.
Talk about crazy chimps.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
But you talk about CSC being so important so that one can cut power if they are going to crash into some one or something, and if that is the the Phantom is out of control already and wont take commands. A Phantom in control, all you have to do is let go of the controls and it will stop, we can go on forever about this.
The idea of using CSC to avoid a mid-air collision is fanciful and has probably never happened.
That's not what CSC is for at all.
You need an emergency stop whenever your spinning blades are somewhere they can cause harm and that's not usually in the air.
Have a Phantom come down close to people or pets and you'll want to stop it in a hurry - CSC.
If your Phantom's stuck in a tree with the props spinning - CSC
Anytime you need to shut it down fast - that's what CSC is for.

The idea of using CSC to avoid a mid-air collision is fanciful and has probably never happened.
You need an emergency stop whenever your spinning blades are somewhere they can cause harm and that's not usually in the air.
Have a Phantom come down close to people or pets and you'll want to stop it in a hurry - CSC.
Once again if that happens it is out of control, and if the pilot is out of control operating it how is he or she going to do a CSC?

Once again if that happens it is out of control, and if the pilot is out of control operating it how is he or she going to do a CSC?
Sorry, I don't see your point.
Operator has the Tx in hand (as flyers usually do) and flies into the side of the house.
Phantom comes down near excited dog, operator uses CSC to shut down.
It's that simple.
I'm not going to get into a long-winded tit-for-tat thread about it.
It's all been said 100 times and nothing's changed.
CSC isn't something that happens in normal flight.
Accidental CSC in flight is extremely rare - and would be close to zero if flyers read the manual and understood it.

End of story from me on this topic.

Sorry, I don't see your point.
Operator has the Tx in hand (as flyers usually do) and flies into the side of the house.
Phantom comes down near excited dog, operator uses CSC to shut down.
It's that simple.
I'm not going to get into a long-winded tit-for-tat thread about it.
It's all been said 100 times and nothing's changed.
CSC isn't something that happens in normal flight.
Accidental CSC in flight is extremely rare - and would be close to zero if flyers read the manual and understood it.

End of story from me on this topic.
I agree with you, I don't see your point.

I know fully holding down the left stick for a couple of seconds will kill the motors when on the ground but will this also kill the motors if you are mid-air ? Sorry if this has been answered previously.

I know fully holding down the left stick for a couple of seconds will kill the motors when on the ground but will this also kill the motors if you are mid-air?
Nope. Only a CSC will.

Reactions: Donw35
Yesterday afternoon, I was flying around my yard, excited to hit my 12th hour of flight. At 40 percent battery I decided I would bring it down. At 80 feet I stopped and started doing some maneuvers and practicing various inputs etc. The app disconnected and then came back several times. "Last maneuver!" I thought, as I thrust upwards 10 feet and then downwards while rotating and rolling about. Suddenly, my heart sank as I watched the motors fall still. The P3A fell like a rock through the treetops and then slammed full-force into the bricks that encircle my tree's flower bed, scattering Phantom parts in a certifiable yard sale of my nighmares. I knew from the impact that I was out of business. The camera detached from the gimbal, which shattered the lens entirely, and severed the ribbon cable. The compass detached from the bent landing gear, but did not damage the cable and snapped back into place. Both of the legs of the Phantom bent and have small fractures. The shell popped out of place in several places at the seams. I have been in a state of depression for about 24 hours, as I will be out of the game for a long time, but I seek to make light of it. Possibly sell the controller and whatever else I can to help buy a new P3. DJI and B&H photo have thus far been unresponsive. I am not sure what happened. I had full GPS lock, strong RC signal, the props were and are intact and installed, the battery was still locked firmly in place. It has crossed my mind that perhaps I mistakenly performed CSC. This doesn't seem possible to me from the maneuvers I performed, and I certainly didn't hold CSC for 3 seconds. Am I even conceivably under warranty? What went wrong?
Ouch!!!! I am definitely try not to do that when mine comes in and I am learning to fly it. Too bad my friend!

Considering the P3 being high enough upon shutdown (say, 100 or 200m or whatever), would a second CSC move restart the motors mid-air, before it hits the ground? Has anyone ever heard of or tried this?

Reactions: Solar Deity
Considering the P3 being high enough upon shutdown (say, 100 or 200m or whatever), would a second CSC move restart the motors mid-air, before it hits the ground? Has anyone ever heard of or tried this?
Been there, done that!
Tried it, and it doesn't work! :eek:
It's been tried by others at 1500 feet and still won't work.
Don't try this at home, unless you need an excuse to buy another P3, with the new motors and shell!

Reactions: AlexSP
Been there, done that!
Tried it, and it doesn't work! :eek:
It's been tried by others at 1500 feet and still won't work.
Don't try this at home, unless you need an excuse to buy another, with the new motors and shell!

LOL Don´t worry no way I´m trying it :D Mine´s "old" but still flying beautifuly. I´d keep it anyway, for no other reason than the fact that an "old" MR can always be used to practice!

I was just curious because I´d imagine that above a certain altitude it could be stabilized again and thus saved. Saw that happening a few times with with other RC ACs.

But it´s good to know! Thanks GadgetGuy.

Exactly! In my case, CSC saved my current P3P. Early on, due to a bad compass reading, which the app at the time had no alert for, upon attempted vertical ascent, my bird did the upward wild left hook, over the rooftop, and slammed sideways into our roof deck wall, with props still spinning, and starting a cartwheel back to the edge of the roof, where it would have dropped 30 feet onto concrete below. I hit CSC, and it immediately stopped on the roof. Damage was limited to a $10 set of props, rather than certain destruction to gimbal, camera, and battery, and shell, had it made it over the roof to the concrete. It works! It saved the life of my P3P, which now has over 1,857,000 feet on it!:)

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4