Crash from 80 feet, total destruction

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon, I was flying around my yard, excited to hit my 12th hour of flight. At 40 percent battery I decided I would bring it down. At 80 feet I stopped and started doing some maneuvers and practicing various inputs etc. The app disconnected and then came back several times. "Last maneuver!" I thought, as I thrust upwards 10 feet and then downwards while rotating and rolling about. Suddenly, my heart sank as I watched the motors fall still. The P3A fell like a rock through the treetops and then slammed full-force into the bricks that encircle my tree's flower bed, scattering Phantom parts in a certifiable yard sale of my nighmares. I knew from the impact that I was out of business. The camera detached from the gimbal, which shattered the lens entirely, and severed the ribbon cable. The compass detached from the bent landing gear, but did not damage the cable and snapped back into place. Both of the legs of the Phantom bent and have small fractures. The shell popped out of place in several places at the seams. I have been in a state of depression for about 24 hours, as I will be out of the game for a long time, but I seek to make light of it. Possibly sell the controller and whatever else I can to help buy a new P3. DJI and B&H photo have thus far been unresponsive. I am not sure what happened. I had full GPS lock, strong RC signal, the props were and are intact and installed, the battery was still locked firmly in place. It has crossed my mind that perhaps I mistakenly performed CSC. This doesn't seem possible to me from the maneuvers I performed, and I certainly didn't hold CSC for 3 seconds. Am I even conceivably under warranty? What went wrong?

Sounds like you did the CSC if you were doing "manoeuvres". I think there's a way to tell from the logs, try having a look

It has crossed my mind that perhaps I mistakenly performed CSC. This doesn't seem possible to me from the maneuvers I performed, and I certainly didn't hold CSC for 3 seconds
The motors will shut off immediately as soon as the sticks are in the CSC position.

Pictures:
20150607_150449.jpg
20150607_150502.jpg
20150607_150449.jpg
20150607_150502.jpg
20150607_150620.jpg

Attachments

• 20150607_150524.jpg
    20150607_150524.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1,013
  • 20150607_150606.jpg
    20150607_150606.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 960
If you understand the controls I have always thought a CSC mid flight would be tough to do if not almost impossible. I just cant see what maneuver someone could do for the amount of time a CSC takes to make that happen mid air???

If you understand the controls I have always thought a CSC mid flight would be tough to do if not almost impossible. I just cant see what maneuver someone could do for the amount of time a CSC takes to make that happen mid air???
That's the thing, people are taking the work maneuvers to mean that I was trying to make it do flips. I was rotating it while descending and rolled around a little bit.

sorry this happened to you.... that would totally bum me out too. I have never come close to accidentally performing the CSC in the air, but I have always wondered if it is something that could happen....

sorry this happened to you.... that would totally bum me out too. I have never come close to accidentally performing the CSC in the air, but I have always wondered if it is something that could happen....
I'm hoping that it did not happen, so that I am under warranty. It's a pretty awful feeling, falling in love with your new quad and then watching it smash to pieces in front of you.

PIcs

100% can happen mid flight, there has been a few threads on this if you care to search.

The Pilot app records your flight and you can see what you did with the sticks, this should prove if you performed CSC.

Sorry to hear this, post the video and your flight record showing stick movements and we will most probably get to the bottom of it.

Sorry to hear that, man. Total bummer. I'm preparing for that now................... I have a backup bird set to be delivered on Tuesday!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Julius717
PIcs

100% can happen mid flight, there has been a few threads on this if you care to search.

The Pilot app records your flight and you can see what you did with the sticks, this should prove if you performed CSC.

Not doubting it can... just never came close to that maneuver myself is all...

Reactions: Brad Vickery
The same thing happen to me this weekend at lake Havasu, I have the phantom 2 with go pro. I had over 40% battery left and I was at about 80 feet high and it came down like a rock right into the water. Went down to the bottom about 20 feet down. I dove down to get it and everything was all intact. Took it back to my room and put it all in a bag and put a 5 pound bag of rice with it. I just pulled it out to test everything and the only thing that I am having trouble with is the video transmitter. I don't know what happen, I looked at the video and right before it started coming down everything shut down and thats the end of the video.

Reactions: fenix and Mike Mauk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers