Crash due to failed Obstacle Avoidance - case with DJI?

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here on the forum and glad to be among fellow Phantom Pilots. :)

TLDR;
Flying slow and steady, my P4 crashed into a tree branch that I didn't see due to bright daylight conditions. The Obstacle Avoidance system didn't detect it either, so the P4 continued to fly straight into the tree branch. The resulting crash has cracked the rear right arm of the P4, and now at times it flies unpredictably, drifting left and right, and not maintaining steady altitude.

Does DJI treat Obstacle Avoidance as a failsafe method to avoid oncoming obstacles? Is this something that they would consider for a case for a replacement or a warranty repair?

Long version:
A couple weeks ago I was out flying my P4 in a massive national park outside Melbourne, Victoria. There is an old decommissioned trestle bridge that is now part of a short hiking loop. I wanted to get some footage flying the path over the trestle bridge and continuing on into the bushwalk. It was a clear and sunny hot summer day (here in the Southern Hemisphere), and there isn't any restricted airspace for nearly 80km.

During my preflight, everything checked out okay, except it took a little while for my P4 to pick up enough satellites for GPS flight. Once it locked onto about 10 satellites, it was good to go. Once I got the bird up in the air, it seemed to be drifting a bit like it had a couple pints. I thought that maybe it was the wind and so I proceeded with caution to fly over the bridge path.

*I must emphasise that it was VERY very bright*

After a little bit of course correction while flying over the bridge, it began to fly normal. I figured that it must have been from something on the bridge, or maybe some wind over the top.

About 50m past the bridge, the path continues on down a hall of trees. I proceeded forward at a slow-medium pace.

All the sudden the view on my iPad from the P4 starts going spastic and it appeared that there was a large tree branch that it became tangled with.

Much to my dismay, neither myself or the P4 had seen a large pine bough and flew straight into it, eventually crashing to the ground. It was so bright out that I couldn't see anything on the screen in front of the drone that looked like an obstacle.

I ran like hell to try to save it from the tree, but by the time I got to it it had fallen out of the tree and crash landed from about 2m up (6ft). The battery had popped out and the right rear propeller had broken. I was really surprised that this had happened, and when I had seen the broken propeller I got really stressed out. I brought it back to my car and gave it a good look over and discovered that the right rear arm took the entire weight of the impact, and it has a compression crack on the right rear arm at the location of the air vent on the bottom side.

Needless to say, I'm extremely distraught by this.

Is the Obstacle Avoidance system something that DJI will guarantee to warranty malfunction damage? Or is it just a novelty that sometimes works or doesn't, and a crash resulting in its inability to spot an obstacle is something I'm stuck paying for?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

No. This would be pilot error. :/ Obstacle avoidance is not a perfect system. It's meant to help you but there are objects and conditions under which it won't work.

Reactions: kevinjones
Will be amazed if DJI comes to the party on this. OA is a nice safeguard against poor judgement and other mishaps rather than a gaurantee the AC can't crash.

To pull off that take comfortably you really need direct LOS to the AC. Think about what might have happened iff you lost signal. May have ended up tangled in the tree canopy somewhere.

I doubt it. Got video of it? Sounds like the branch was too small to detect or the sun confused OA.

Car companies don't pay you if you slide off the road in ice because the anti-locking brakes didn't save you.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the clarification on this. Sadly, it sounds like it was pilot error (my fault).

Given that the AC is now flying unreliably, what should I do to diagnose the problem? Could it be the cracked body that is causing this? Or does it sound like something more related to electronic components?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the clarification on this. Sadly, it sounds like it was pilot error (my fault).

Given that the AC is now flying unreliably, what should I do to diagnose the problem? Could it be the cracked body that is causing this? Or does it sound like something more related to electronic components?
I'd send it to a DJI or another repair shop if it were me. Not sure how that works in oz.

Sorry for the loss man, I'd be bummed out too :(

Thanks. I am slowly (read painfully) realising this.

Hello everyone, I'm new here on the forum and glad to be among fellow Phantom Pilots. :)

TLDR;
Flying slow and steady, my P4 crashed into a tree branch that I didn't see due to bright daylight conditions. The Obstacle Avoidance system didn't detect it either, so the P4 continued to fly straight into the tree branch. The resulting crash has cracked the rear right arm of the P4, and now at times it flies unpredictably, drifting left and right, and not maintaining steady altitude.

Does DJI treat Obstacle Avoidance as a failsafe method to avoid oncoming obstacles? Is this something that they would consider for a case for a replacement or a warranty repair?

Long version:
A couple weeks ago I was out flying my P4 in a massive national park outside Melbourne, Victoria. There is an old decommissioned trestle bridge that is now part of a short hiking loop. I wanted to get some footage flying the path over the trestle bridge and continuing on into the bushwalk. It was a clear and sunny hot summer day (here in the Southern Hemisphere), and there isn't any restricted airspace for nearly 80km.

During my preflight, everything checked out okay, except it took a little while for my P4 to pick up enough satellites for GPS flight. Once it locked onto about 10 satellites, it was good to go. Once I got the bird up in the air, it seemed to be drifting a bit like it had a couple pints. I thought that maybe it was the wind and so I proceeded with caution to fly over the bridge path.

*I must emphasise that it was VERY very bright*

After a little bit of course correction while flying over the bridge, it began to fly normal. I figured that it must have been from something on the bridge, or maybe some wind over the top.

About 50m past the bridge, the path continues on down a hall of trees. I proceeded forward at a slow-medium pace.

All the sudden the view on my iPad from the P4 starts going spastic and it appeared that there was a large tree branch that it became tangled with.

Much to my dismay, neither myself or the P4 had seen a large pine bough and flew straight into it, eventually crashing to the ground. It was so bright out that I couldn't see anything on the screen in front of the drone that looked like an obstacle.

I ran like hell to try to save it from the tree, but by the time I got to it it had fallen out of the tree and crash landed from about 2m up (6ft). The battery had popped out and the right rear propeller had broken. I was really surprised that this had happened, and when I had seen the broken propeller I got really stressed out. I brought it back to my car and gave it a good look over and discovered that the right rear arm took the entire weight of the impact, and it has a compression crack on the right rear arm at the location of the air vent on the bottom side.

Needless to say, I'm extremely distraught by this.

Is the Obstacle Avoidance system something that DJI will guarantee to warranty malfunction damage? Or is it just a novelty that sometimes works or doesn't, and a crash resulting in its inability to spot an obstacle is something I'm stuck paying for?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

no such thing as a "failsafe" anything

sorry for your crash
props are cheap , if that's all you got , be happy....

replace props
recalibrate the compass and IMU and gimbal etc..

good luck and have fun flying!

Unless you have the tools and requisite skills for service/repair of complex electronics I would suggest you open an online chat with DJI and arrange for an RMA for the AC to be sent for evaluation. DJI has a repair facility in AUS now, Even a simple shell replacement might result in damage to wiring harness connectors and other complications if unfamiliar with this sort of work. I don't mean to sound presumptive and accept it might be you are proficient in this area.

I don't know of any repair places down your way but I have dealt with Camzilla up here and they are a good bunch. Maybe contact them and see what they say. Shipping would be quicker than to China.

camzilla.com.au

I don't know of any repair places down your way but I have dealt with Camzilla up here and they are a good bunch. Maybe contact them and see what they say. Shipping would be quicker than to China.

camzilla.com.au
Good news. DJI has a repair facility in Melbourne now. Fast and Camzilla will be ultimately required by DJI to send any warranty work to them. Non warranty DJI is no more expensive (may often be cheaper).

Hi Kevin, fellow Melbourne pilot [emoji106], sorry to hear your story. As stated I believe DJI has repair facility in Doncaster here in Melbourne, but I've not yet dealt with them direct on repairs. I went to a local repairer who ended up sending to DJI (ie it was painful process) so IMHO go direct to DJI, hopefully better experience for you.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

So I just had a chat with DJI support, and spoke to a bloke named "Alvin". He wasn't savvy with customer service, nor was he willing to voluntarily disclose useful and relative information about the repair process.

Basically, I asked what to do about the crash and the damage, and he told me that I need to send it in and get it repaired.

Right. Thanks for that... So then I asked what the process is and if it's covered by warranty.

Alvin then told me that since it is the result of a crash, they need to diagnose it and make sure it doesn't happen again. Right... thanks for that one, too.

Then I asked who pays for shipping. According to Alvin, DJI pays for shipping both ways, no matter what... I'm a bit skeptical of that.

Finally, after several more short answers, I figured out how to ask for the answer I was looking for.

In short, email [email protected] with an explanation of what happened. They will respond to you with shipping labels and repair info. Within 5-7 days, you'll get a response saying what the problem is and whether it's covered by warranty, and if it's not you have the choice to have it sent back to you. And supposedly DJI covers shipping both ways, so long as it's still under the warranty period.

So I just had a chat with DJI support, and spoke to a bloke named "Alvin". He wasn't savvy with customer service, nor was he willing to voluntarily disclose useful and relative information about the repair process.

Basically, I asked what to do about the crash and the damage, and he told me that I need to send it in and get it repaired.

Right. Thanks for that... So then I asked what the process is and if it's covered by warranty.

Alvin then told me that since it is the result of a crash, they need to diagnose it and make sure it doesn't happen again. Right... thanks for that one, too.

Then I asked who pays for shipping. According to Alvin, DJI pays for shipping both ways, no matter what... I'm a bit skeptical of that.

Finally, after several more short answers, I figured out how to ask for the answer I was looking for.

In short, email [email protected] with an explanation of what happened. They will respond to you with shipping labels and repair info. Within 5-7 days, you'll get a response saying what the problem is and whether it's covered by warranty, and if it's not you have the choice to have it sent back to you. And supposedly DJI covers shipping both ways, so long as it's still under the warranty period.
Sounds about right with an added step I haven't encountered. In my case I got an email following the online chat with questions followed by an RMA shortly after responding. The initial explanation was covered off in the chat session. With respect to my case all they wanted by return email was proof of purchase and AC serial number plus a photo of the damage. I was pleased with how simple and fast the process was.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl