Cracked shell

Reaction score
Can I fly this drone? It has also had problems connecting to the controller and if I can't fly it how can I get it fixed?

Attachments

• 20190515_144614.jpg
    20190515_144614.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 399
  • 20190515_144611.jpg
    20190515_144611.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 376
  • 20190515_144609.jpg
    20190515_144609.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 380
  • 20190515_144606.jpg
    20190515_144606.jpg
    924.3 KB · Views: 429
Welcome to the Forum!

Picture number two, needs some glue!

Lots of threads on this, here is a search.

I would pop the shell apart, especially if one of the screws seems to be stripped, because it will probable new some repair on the inside.

Many threads on how to make these repairs.

Take you time on splitting the top and bottom, once you see how to do it (where the clips are) its pretty simple, the hardest part for myself was finding the correct screw driver sizes.

Rod

Welcome to the Forum!

Picture number two, needs some glue!

Lots of threads on this, here is a search.

I would pop the shell apart, especially if one of the screws seems to be stripped, because it will probable new some repair on the inside.

Many threads on how to make these repairs.

Take you time on splitting the top and bottom, once you see how to do it (where the clips are) its pretty simple, the hardest part for myself was finding the correct screw driver sizes.

Rod

Hi all,
About the cracks at the motor mount screws locations,,, after some careful gluing you can buy a set of aluminum motor mount supports. They mount exactly where your problem areas are. They come with new mount screws and prevent any further damage to the lower body at the motor mount area. I buy them on eBay and install them on all the drones I buy, whether they have cracks or not. Comes in gold or silver color and cost around 15-17 dollars for a full set of 4.

Welcome to the Forum!

Great Post!
You got a link for the guy? ;)

Rod...

I have seen plenty flown without issue with worse cracks than that. I wouldn’t risk it though. While rare there have been cases where the motor and prop part ways with the boom arm mid flight, literally shearing off the motor mounting bosses from the lower shell section.

I wouldn’t bother stuffing around with glue when shells are cheap and it’s not a lot of extra effort- hardest part is getting the top and bottom separated.

Be careful you don’t rip the compass connector off the board when taking the top off.

No soldering required.

It’s a 4-6 stubbie job.

Reactions: RodPad
I have seen plenty flown without issue with worse cracks than that. I wouldn’t risk it though. While rare there have been cases where the motor and prop part ways with the boom arm mid flight, literally shearing off the motor mounting bosses from the lower shell section.

I wouldn’t bother stuffing around with glue when shells are cheap and it’s not a lot of extra effort- hardest part is getting the top and bottom separated.

Be careful you don’t rip the compass connector off the board when taking the top off.

No soldering required.

It’s a 4-6 stubbie job.

I changed your wording....

No soldering required, If you don't rip the compass connector off. :)

Rod

Maybe this will help, my computer skills are a bit to be desired ?

Attachments

• Safari - May 17, 2019 at 9:17 AM.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 287
Go it now!
More like this.....

Search on ebay doesn't work? :rolleyes:

Rod

I just go to the search for subject box and type in DJI Phantom 3 parts Andy click the search button. You may have to look through a few pages, but that’s how I irate found them.

i had the same problem and replaced the shell, paid $10 , if you glue it good enough it should be okay but cracking won''t stop and i don't like the motors mounts

Well, it solves the cracking problem around the motor mount screws locations. The price is very close to the same. The mounting plates are a LOT easier and quicker to put on.
Also,a new bottom shell will crack again,, especially if you fly aggressively and/or tend to be a person who doesn’t land their drone very well!!
But, it’s another option...

Well, it solves the cracking problem around the motor mount screws locations. The price is very close to the same. The mounting plates are a LOT easier and quicker to put on.
Also,a new bottom shell will crack again,, especially if you fly aggressively and/or tend to be a person who doesn’t land their drone very well!!
But, it’s another option...
i think DJI had to redesign the bottom shell mounts, so newer version is little bit better than the old one, also there is setting in app which can make phantom less aggressive, both options are good but motors mounts are easier, while replacing the bottom shell takes more time and it's hard for some people.

Attachments

• 2015-10-04 15.47.14.jpg
    2015-10-04 15.47.14.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 283
NICE!!! Thanks for the picture. I’ll try one of the new lower body on the next Phantom I buy with cracked mounts.
Seriously, that does look like a huge improvement from the original design.
Thanks

Reactions: giorgimonk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers