Costa Rica New Law?

Reaction score
HI Everyone - I understand there are some threads on the site on this, however, none really have answered a couple of questions I have (now that the law has officially started). The www.dgac.go.cr site is in Spanish and unfortunately I took Latin in high school so I'm a little out of luck in translating it...

1. Does anyone know how to search for and where to get a license/permit?
2. Can customs/airport take your drone if you don't have a license/permit yet and want to try to get one while in Costa Rica?
3. Is there a way to get the license/permit before you go to Costa Rica?
4. Are there any fines if they catch you with one? If so, what are they?
5. Has anyone taken their drone into Costa Rica since Sept 2017? What happened?
4. Any other advice?

Should I just not take my Phantom 4? (it would be such a sad thing not to be able to)

Thanks!

Hello @juliecait and welcome to the forum.

I can't answer your questions but I can give some advice... sometimes it's a pure hassle to take a UAS across borders and you never know if you'll have to surrender your UAS or not. This is even more so in less developed areas where they may or may not fully appreciate/understand the wonder of our hobby.

Is it worth the hassle (and it sucks) and the risk? You and only you can answer that but for me I always say no.

HI Everyone - I understand there are some threads on the site on this, however, none really have answered a couple of questions I have (now that the law has officially started). The www.dgac.go.cr site is in Spanish and unfortunately I took Latin in high school so I'm a little out of luck in translating it...

1. Does anyone know how to search for and where to get a license/permit?
2. Can customs/airport take your drone if you don't have a license/permit yet and want to try to get one while in Costa Rica?
3. Is there a way to get the license/permit before you go to Costa Rica?
4. Are there any fines if they catch you with one? If so, what are they?
5. Has anyone taken their drone into Costa Rica since Sept 2017? What happened?
4. Any other advice?

Should I just not take my Phantom 4? (it would be such a sad thing not to be able to)

Thanks!
A quick internet search found these.

https://news.co.cr/new-regulations-operating-drones-will-implemented-august-13-costa-rica/63041/

Costa Rica Rules and Regulations

There's at least one resident of CR on the 2nd link. Could be worthwhile trying to contact him.

It seems that you have to apply to the General Direction (Director General?) of Civil Aviation (DGAC) for a licence and I'm sure you could track them and any of the other things mentioned in the 1st link down with a few careful internet searches.

Last edited:
Does anybody know what is the situation now with the new law? Do you need a license for non comercial use in Costa Rica?

Yes, they just did it .. I added it to my project of mapping drone rules today with all official links and context info answering the basic questions such as:

- Can I bring a drone there?
- Where to fly in the country?
- How to fly in the country?
- What do you risk if not compliant.. (didn't find much in Costa Rica tho).

Drone_commercial_rules_-_world_map.png

Hope this helps a little.

In Peru you nedd license. DGTA in MTC is authority for flying, have legal rules, if you flight, you attention laws, maybe you have problems

Reactions: Dronemade
In Peru you nedd license. DGTA in MTC is authority for flying, have legal rules, if you flight, you attention laws, maybe you have problems
Do you have the official link/source of this one? Would help immensely ! Tks heaps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20