Corporation registering for non-commercial use

Reaction score
We are a US corporation that bought a P3 advanced. We want to fly it for studying the feasiblity of doing commercial things with it. Basically, it is for R&D (and fun!) but we won't be charging anyone anywhere for it.

I'm assuming I just have to register it with FAA and that is it...? I have:
  1. 8050-1
  2. 8050-88
  3. Print out from DJI.com
  4. $5 check
This should be enough for us to fly within the current rules, correct?

We are a US corporation that bought a P3 advanced. We want to fly it for studying the feasiblity of doing commercial things with it. Basically, it is for R&D (and fun!) but we won't be charging anyone anywhere for it.

I'm assuming I just have to register it with FAA and that is it...? I have:
  1. 8050-1
  2. 8050-88
  3. Print out from DJI.com
  4. $5 check
This should be enough for us to fly within the current rules, correct?

Don't consider this legal advice, but:

Registration is for a person, not a particular UAV. I wouldn't push it. I'll believe corporations are people when I see one in prison.

Registration is very fast when done with a credit card online.

As a corporation, have a designated actual live person register, and authorize that person to use the UAV. You could probably do it with more than one person, but that person's FAA # should be on the aircraft whenever they are flying it.

Be sure to have the FAA # on the aircraft. I put a stick-on label with the number on the bottom of each battery. That should comply with the intent that the number can be seen by anyone finding a lost aircraft.

Have a copy of the Certificate available whenever you fly. I did a screenshot of the certificate FAA sent me as a jpg, and copied it to Photos on the iPad mini I use with it.

Don't mix business with pleasure. Never, ever, use any photos or video made with it while learning, for any commercial use now or in the future. For example, never post it at a corporate website or anything associated with the corporation. If you post anything to YouTube, Do NOT allow any ads to appear over it that would generate even pennies of income.

Observe No Fly Zones and notifications to FAA Towers and nearby helipads. Use both the DJI Fly Safe link, and the FAA B4UFLY app to identify those areas.
DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
Takes you to the right page; the center one is the interactive map.

If you plan to fly in a particular area within five miles of a NFZ, try to arrange a standing agreement with the tower or other operators, as on page two, 6 c (5) of this:
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91-57A.pdf

That should do it, but don't blame me if it's wrong.

Fly safe!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4