copywrite problems

Reaction score
gday again
Ive tried to post a few vids on face book and youtube but they seem to getting knocked back because of copywrite issues. I bought the iMovie editing program so does that mean i own all thats on it including all music etc. I haven't uploaded any songs or anything else all i am using is my own footage and the jingles etc on the program.
I was wandering how other people over came this issue.
thanks for all your knowledge

I movie can access your iTunes music, what jingle are you trying to use that youtube shoots down?

I movie can access your iTunes music, what jingle are you trying to use that youtube shoots down?
I'm just using the ones that come with the program. I havent downloaded any music from iTunes on my computer, thats why i can't understand why it won't let me upload. Unless there are copywrite on the program.

The program youtube uses to check the audio on uploaded videos thinks youtube owns everything.
It will often call copyright infringement if it hears so much as one note that matches what it has been programmed to recognize as owned by youtube.

Dispute their claim and send them the link to the apple licence and they will back off.
If they don't you should contact apple and tell them that youtube is claiming ownership of their (apples) music.

I had been getting these copyright notices quite a lot on my videos too.
I sent them the link to the licence for the sony royalty free music I use and they ignored it once but the second time I sent it with a very strongly worded message and told sony about it and since then they have left me alone.

Reactions: dirkclod
I'm just using the ones that come with the program. I havent downloaded any music from iTunes on my computer, thats why i can't understand why it won't let me upload. Unless there are copywrite on the program.
Open a YouTube channel and this problem will go away. You won't be able to monetize though if YouTube thinks there is a copyright issue.

PTCX! you do not understand how youtube works.
When you post a video and it contains any music, the processing system checks to see if there is a "fingerprint" match to a copyrighted song.
I've heard of kickbacks happening when there is a mere 15 second match.
I've posted some where they matched purely on the name alone!
Even on partial name matches.

Every recording has a unique "fingerprint".
Somebody took the time to fingerprint over 9 million songs.
And usually, the blocking or complaint isn't even about copyright.
It's about who owns the licensing rights to publish the work.

IN my opinion, youtube violates the copyright law by allowing the material to be posted.
And they do it themselves every day.

PTCX! you do not understand how youtube works.
When you post a video and it contains any music, the processing system checks to see if there is a "fingerprint" match to a copyrighted song.
I've heard of kickbacks happening when there is a mere 15 second match.
I've posted some where they matched purely on the name alone!
Even on partial name matches.

Every recording has a unique "fingerprint".
Somebody took the time to fingerprint over 9 million songs.
And usually, the blocking or complaint isn't even about copyright.
It's about who owns the licensing rights to publish the work.

IN my opinion, youtube violates the copyright law by allowing the material to be posted.
And they do it themselves every day.
I know very well how youtube works.
When my videos have been pinged for copyright infringements they show me exactly which part of the music track they have taken issue with and it more often than not is less than two seconds or as I said previously a single note or maybe it is two notes together that has scored a match.
Never more than that,never the whole peice,never the name.

I don't use music as in what you would hear on the radio or download from itunes.I use music loops which can be between 5 and 30 seconds long and they need to be assembled in a music editing suite where I sometimes only use a second or two of the loop and that is what youtube picks out as something they "own & administer".
As for being picked out for the name,I will use music loops from several different sets of loops with different names or sometimes use a premade peice of music that has been made from many different loops of different names.In the case of peices that have been premade they are named by the person who made them but the name of the peice that youtube quotes is totally different to any music or loops I have used.

All the music I use is owned & administered by Sony Music Corperation and is licenced to me and I can legally use it in any way I choose.

In any case the system youtube uses to define what is a copyright infringement is far from eficient,seemingly indescriminent and definately over zelous.
Again,as I said these infringements can usually be settled by sending youtube a link to the licencing agreement that the producers of royalty free music provide.

I just went through the licensing process to legally use Everybody wants to rule the world by Tears for Fears (whole song) on one of my vids. $2000AU for 2 years, and still waiting for UMG to remove the ads and mobile device blocking on YouTube

Bigcat, I don't believe UMG has any say on the ads.
Youtube will place the ads regardless of your license.
So I think you wasted your money.

PTCX, matching note by note is ludicrous.
I don't believe they get that **** pickey with it.
What they do is, match to a recording they have on file.
As for the so called administration rights, that has nothing to do with copyright.
The only reason why this is happening is because UMG filed a lawsuit against megaupload.com, lost the case, and then bullied youtube into trying to control copyright issues.

Bigcat, I don't believe UMG has any say on the ads.
Youtube will place the ads regardless of your license.
So I think you wasted your money.

Well not exactly, firstly the money belongs to a school and they wish to avoid being sued for copyright so it certainly isn't wasted. Secondly, UMG does have a say on the ads as they are the ones who make the claim to the music, you just have to contact Youtube and dispute the claim by providing the copyright license provided by UMG.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic