Transfering to Youtube?

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked a million times. I thought I'd ask here while I'm trying to find the answers incase someone sees this before I find the answer on my own..

What settings do I want for video on the drone to transfer to youtube that doesn't take hours!!! I'm so dumb to this stuff I'm starting out without knowing anything....Nothing about pictures, video's, computers, app's, etc..... Buying these drones put me into a whole new world of things to learn.

So, can someone give me a real quick starting point. I know nothing of terms, the process, etc....I don't even really know where to start. I just need a quick starting point then I can explore and learn from there.

Or....Is that normal? It just takes hours to upload 15 min of video?

I have video that I want to edit and upload for family to see and for the sale of some extra drones that I can't afford to keep at the moment. . And editing is new world too.!!! But if it's going to take hours to upload 45min of video!? WOW!!!!

Sry, if this has been gone over a million times....I'm really stupid to this part of it. I was able to stumble through it and upload a couple of short vids but it took hours and I still have no clue how I did it. HAHA

Ohhh and it's ok to give me crap for asking a question that has gone over before, I dish it out and can take it too!! All in fun!!:)

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been asked a million times. I thought I'd ask here while I'm trying to find the answers incase someone sees this before I find the answer on my own..

What settings do I want for video on the drone to transfer to youtube that doesn't take hours!!! I'm so dumb to this stuff I'm starting out without knowing anything....Nothing about pictures, video's, computers, app's, etc..... Buying these drones put me into a whole new world of things to learn.

So, can someone give me a real quick starting point. I know nothing of terms, the process, etc....I don't even really know where to start. I just need a quick starting point then I can explore and learn from there.

Or....Is that normal? It just takes hours to upload 15 min of video?

I have video that I want to edit and upload for family to see and for the sale of some extra drones that I can't afford to keep at the moment. . And editing is new world too.!!! But if it's going to take hours to upload 45min of video!? WOW!!!!

Sry, if this has been gone over a million times....I'm really stupid to this part of it. I was able to stumble through it and upload a couple of short vids but it took hours and I still have no clue how I did it. HAHA
What kind of internet connection do you have? Have you ever tested your upload speed?

Reactions: Joker2415
Slow speeds like I have at home take forever at 1080P.....Not to mention anything above that. If you are just wanting people to see your video ( Not in a professional manner) Use 720p @640x480...........It still takes a bit, but no where near what it would at full res. I generally use a different connection point for those large high res files.

I'm thinking with a standard broadband connection, a 45 minute video to YouTube would take hours, like more than 3 I would imagine and possibly considerably longer. Find a school or bank that you can pig onto and try that. Even after it completes the upload to YouTube, it will take even longer to process into HD or UHD.

Don't be offended friend but a 45 minute drone video? That's a committed audience! I mean no disrespect.

Good luck ..

Slow speeds like I have at home take forever at 1080P.....Not to mention anything above that. If you are just wanting people to see your video ( Not in a professional manner) Use 720p @640x480...........It still takes a bit, but no where near what it would at full res. I generally use a different connection point for those large high res files.
Thank you! That's what I'll do.

I'm thinking with a standard broadband connection, a 45 minute video to YouTube would take hours, like more than 3 I would imagine and possibly considerably longer. Find a school or bank that you can pig onto and try that. Even after it completes the upload to YouTube, it will take even longer to process into HD or UHD.

Don't be offended friend but a 45 minute drone video? That's a committed audience! I mean no disrespect.

Good luck ..
Ok, so the hours it takes is what's expected, I thought I was doing something wrong.
No offense at all....Basically, I bought too many projects and other things have come up, so I'm making short clips to put with a couple sales showing that they work. Since I got carried away clicking buttons on my computer!!:) I was/am having a blast with these things!!

And one of the main reasons I wanted a drone, then it almost became an addiction over night!!....I have a piece of land that family and friends haven't seen. Since everyone is scattered all over the US. It would be easier to make camping video's and others with the drone for them to see the land, my son, etc.... That's my main point of youtube. I'm not really looking for followers or anything, even though it's welcomed if someone is that bored...haha...I have a lot of older family and some friends that haven't even met my son yet. Also everyone asks us for pics of the land, it's nothing special, but they will at least have a visual of what I'm talking about, when talking about problems, and camping adventures.

Ohh and sry for multiple posts when replying, I haven't taken the time to figure that one out yet either,,,

Last edited:
Test your upload speed. Google : Speed test, pick the closest server and see what it is. Upload speed is what to see. I have cable/optic and usually see upload around 15-20 Mbps so it usually takes 5 mins for a edited 600-800 Mb vid to pack it in. There's a lot of frames that could stand to be cut out and I will speed up the thing to 2X or even 4X for longer segments. And as mentioned above, reducing the res can cut the size substantially. Keeping the overall run time to around 5-8 min length would stand the chance of people watching it longer. Remember, sure it looks really good to you, but like all media on TV/movies.. limited segments with action or interesting scenes at a fairly fast pace is what keeps the audiences watching. Use the rule of how long a goldfish attention span is and apply that to your videos. A good music track will help too.

Test your upload speed. Google : Speed test, pick the closest server and see what it is. Upload speed is what to see. I have cable/optic and usually see upload around 15-20 Mbps so it usually takes 5 mins for a edited 600-800 Mb vid to pack it in. There's a lot of frames that could stand to be cut out and I will speed up the thing to 2X or even 4X for longer segments. And as mentioned above, reducing the res can cut the size substantially. Keeping the overall run time to around 5-8 min length would stand the chance of people watching it longer. Remember, sure it looks really good to you, but like all media on TV/movies.. limited segments with action or interesting scenes at a fairly fast pace is what keeps the audiences watching. Use the rule of how long a goldfish attention span is and apply that to your videos. A good music track will help too.

Thank you!! That's a lot of info that I really wouldn't have thought about. It makes a lot of sense too.
I have to chop some of the stuff I took way down. I even get bored watching some of it. The bad part is I just had brand new editing software for pics and video that I sold on ebay for pennies on the dollar. I'm hoping I find one more laying around here that I forgot about.

Thank you everyone!!! I can rebuild pretty much anything mechanical down to a complicated wristwatch, but trying to do anything on the computer? I'm sooo far behind in tech!! I'm still trying to figure out where to put the cassette tape in my laptop to play pong! :eek: I hope some of you are old enough to understand that one.... And for those that aren't, some games were on a thing called a cassette tape, you had to use a tape to,save your programs, and to get "online" too!!!:) I'm jkg...I'm not all that old......But I am way out of date in tech. In 5th grade I was a nerd because I could write programs in Basic, now.......I can't figure out how to put a number in my phone!!

Last edited:
Test your connection here. All the other advice I've seen is spot on.

Xfinity Speed Test

7.9 download 1.6 upload The upload isn't looking too good. :) I've done it a few times and sometimes it's lower but that one above seems the highest for both numbers out of all of the times I've tried it. My lowest was 0.8 upload. I'm using old laptops at least 5 or 6 years old. I have two brand new desk tops still in the boxes. I wonder if that would help anything to use one of them. I have to able to tweak something to get the number higher...:)

This computer is using windows 10 with all kinds of junk going on that you can't seem to turn off. I wonder if I used a Linux OS if that would help. Maybe not....But I'll have to start playing around with stuff to learn a little and somewhat catch up.!!! Ohhhh nevermind...I have no clue of what I'm talking about! haha

I do want to take a Galaxy 5 or a tablet and wipe it out. And just have in it what I need for the drone only, something that will never be online or used for anything else. But I want all of the nonsense that isn't needed out of the device. That and to do it to learn a little. I have a new Galaxy 5 that is still in the box that has never been activated. That's probably what I'll experiment with.

Last edited:
Are you using WIFI? The best connection is always using a ethernet cable Cat 6 or Cat 7. Old router? Updated router firmware? Rebooting router regularly can also help at times.

Are you using WIFI? The best connection is always using a ethernet cable Cat 6 or Cat 7. Old router? Updated router firmware? Rebooting router regularly can also help at times.

I am using Wifi. I'm not sure if this makes any difference but there is usually at least 7 or 8 devices on at all times, usually 3 laptops and 5 tablets, on top of the 3 tv's that are on at all times I could turn most of them off at times if it makes any difference.

I can plug straight into the router. I actually didn't even think of that. But I'm sitting a few feet away..it wouldn't be anything to plug in.

The router is a couple years old, maybe 2 or 3. It's rebooted all of the time since we can't keep our 3 year old from unplugging wires and pushing buttons every time we turn around. When I hear "uuhhhh ohhhhhh I broke it" I know somethings up!! He pulls the ethernet cable out of the wall almost daily! :) I keep new cables ready for when he rips the wires!!! The way it's set up it's almost impossible to move every thing without a headache...It's easier at the moment to replace or fix the wire every so often....

Last edited:
It's the WIFI connection that is inhibiting top speed. Ethernet that puppy!!

It's the WIFI connection that is inhibiting top speed. Ethernet that puppy!!

I'll do that...I didn't even think of it! It's been so long since I played with anything that I even forgot I could do that!! That's pretty bad! My one laptop has been around so long it still has the retractable dial up wire in the bag for motels! haha I can't remember the last time I "plugged in".

I subscribed to your channel. I watched a few video's. I'll go back in when I have more time and watch a few more. I've seen one of them before wandering around youtube. I've also noticed after watching yours that I need to move a little slower. Mine are jerky, I move the gimbal and turn the drone too fast. I have to remember to slow down and ease in and out of moving. Also, on my remote the dial to roll the camera up or down just seems wrong to me(there is nothing wrong) I keep getting the direction mixed. I feel like when I push up it should go up. It's the opposite. I'll have to see if I can reverse that in settings. I'm always moving it in the wrong direction then have to change directions. It looks bad in the video's.

Last edited:
Also, on my remote the dial to roll the camera up or down just seems wrong to me(there is nothing wrong) I keep getting the direction mixed. I feel like when I push up it should go up. It's the opposite. I'll have to see if I can reverse that in settings. I'm always moving it in the wrong direction then have to change directions.
Try using Litchi and let the Aircraft handle everything, assuming you pre-plan in advance. You won't have to bother with anything manually, unless you just prefer to do it that way.

I subscribed to your channel. I watched a few video's. I'll go back in when I have more time and watch a few more. I've seen one of them before wandering around youtube. I've also noticed after watching yours that I need to move a little slower. Mine are jerky, I move the gimbal and turn the drone too fast. I have to remember to slow down and ease in and out of moving. Also, on my remote the dial to roll the camera up or down just seems wrong to me(there is nothing wrong) I keep getting the direction mixed. I feel like when I push up it should go up. It's the opposite. I'll have to see if I can reverse that in settings. I'm always moving it in the wrong direction then have to change directions. It looks bad in the video's.
I set the gimbal smooth to around 75%. I also try to pan and move as if it's stuck in goo. Keeping in mind all the surrounding objects takes lots of concentration. If you move ultra slowly you can still speed it up, but if you move too fast, slowing it down may not look natural. I will fly several batteries sometimes and piece together the footage making it seem like one flight. Usually a final edit is not just one long clip. I watch lots of movies and see how they film it. I love cinematic pans and try to learn how they make it look good.

Also, on my remote the dial to roll the camera up or down just seems wrong to me(there is nothing wrong) I keep getting the direction mixed. I feel like when I push up it should go up. It's the opposite. I'll have to see if I can reverse that in settings. I'm always moving it in the wrong direction then have to change directions. It looks bad in the video's.
7.9 download 1.6 upload The upload isn't looking too good. :) I've done it a few times and sometimes it's lower but that one above seems the highest for both numbers out of all of the times I've tried it. My lowest was 0.8 upload. I'm using old laptops at least 5 or 6 years old. I have two brand new desk tops still in the boxes. I wonder if that would help anything to use one of them. I have to able to tweak something to get the number higher...:)

This computer is using windows 10 with all kinds of junk going on that you can't seem to turn off. I wonder if I used a Linux OS if that would help. Maybe not....But I'll have to start playing around with stuff to learn a little and somewhat catch up.!!! Ohhhh nevermind...I have no clue of what I'm talking about! haha

I do want to take a Galaxy 5 or a tablet and wipe it out. And just have in it what I need for the drone only, something that will never be online or used for anything else. But I want all of the nonsense that isn't needed out of the device. That and to do it to learn a little. I have a new Galaxy 5 that is still in the box that has never been activated. That's probably what I'll experiment with.
My Cox cable connection clocks 30Mbps download and 3Mbps upload.Everyone here has provided excellent advice. Yes, it can be overwhelming.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl